Subject: 26-May-94 Iowa Sustainable Dev. Conference (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: 31 May 1994 23:54:28 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 May 1994 21:16:09 -0700
From: Paula Davidson <[email-masked]>
Subject: 26-May-94 Iowa Sustainable Dev. Conference

From: George Gundrey - IGC News Desk <newsdesk>

/* Written 12:40 PM  May 25, 1994 by gain in igc:gain.general */
/* ---------- "Iowa Sustainable Dev. Conference" ---------- */
= GAIN ANNOUNCEMENT: IOWA CONFERENCE ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT =

       * * *  GLOBAL ACTION AND INFORMATION NETWORK  * * *
        740 Front Street, Suite 355 Santa Cruz, CA 95060
        phone: 408-457-0130     email: [email-masked]
                  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

GAIN posts this announcement in an effort to keep our readers up-
to-date on significant activities regarding sustainable 
development.  For more information, visit the conference 
<en.announcements>. 

Two Years After UNCED: Exploring Partnerships for Sustainable 
Development

July 20-24, 1994
River Center & Blackhawk Hotel
Davenport, Iowa

Sponsored by: Citizens Network for Sustainable Development
The Stanley Foundation
Iowa Division UNA-USA

Conference on Sustainable Development to be Held in Iowa

NGO representatives and individuals working on sustainable 
development from across the country will meet in Davenport, 
Iowa July 20-24, 1994 to push forward an agenda of community 
sustainability that addresses social cultural, environmental, 
and economic concerns.  The conference is sponsored by the 
Citizens Network for Sustainable Development, the Stanley 
Foundation, and the Iowa Division United Nations Association 
(UNA-USA).

The conference theme is "Two Years After UNCED: Exploring 
Partnerships for Sustainable Development."  UNCED, the UN 
Conference on Environment and Development, was held in Rio de 
Janeiro in 1992 and popularly known as the Earth Summit.  It 
drew world leaders together in a forum where they pledged 
increased efforts to attack the twin problems of 
underdevelopment and environmental degradation.  The Earth 
Summit, however, also provided an opportunity for tens of 
thousands of ordinary citizens from around the world to meet 
and make plans for helping each other at the non governmental 
and grassroots levels.

This summer's Iowa conference is the most recent step in a 
series of national collaborative efforts taken since the Earth 
Summit.  Representatives of national, international, and 
grassroots organizations will be joined by individual citizens.  
Most have been meeting together since before the Earth Summit 
to help mold a national strategy for environment and 
development concerns.  Among the goals of the conference will 
be building on the progress of the past two years, cementing 
the ties between the groups and individuals, considering 
prospects for affecting governmental policy, and educating 
participants and the public on sustainable development.

On Friday, July 22, a contingent from the conference will 
travel to Chicago to testify before the President's Council on 
sustainable Development and participate in a town meeting most 
likely to be presided over by Vice President Al Gore.  They 
will present recommendations and ideas developed in the 
conference's workshop sessions.

Major speakers include Robert Gilman, an astrophysicist who has 
turned his attention from the stars to the study of planet 
Earth; Hazel Henderson, a futurist and critic of traditional 
economic theory; and Homero Aridjis (pronounced ar-EED-jees), a 
Mexican scholar and former diplomat.

For further information on registration, call Patrick Frese 
319-324-4941. 

For information on the Iowa Conference, see topics in the 
CITNET conference on ECONET.  You can also send a message to 
katywhansen.