Subject: Nespole-a southern european fruit
From: [email-masked] (eric dingeldein/rebecca christie)
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 94 14:01:58 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.misc,alt.sustainable.agriculture,sci.agriculture

A friend recently visited Italy and was entranced by a fruit called
"nespole".  Her dictionary translated that as medlar, which this fruit does
not appear to be.  Her description follows: A small tree, about 9' mature.
Grows well in the climate of Rome. Bears a small fruit in May. Fruit is
about 3" long and egg-shaped. Apricot colored. Has a smooth skin (not fuzzy
like apricots or peaches) and firm flesh. Flesh is the same color as skin
and juicy like a peach (not like a plum). Tastes like a combination of
oranges, passion fruit and apricots. It has one seed that is light brown and
chatoyant (when fresh). The seed is not like a stone fruit, but more like an
avocado pit in nature. About 3/4" long and 1/2" wide and thick.
Sounds to me like maybe some european relative of the pawpaw? I am
interested in  any info about the species name or cultural needs of this
plant. This person is originally from Hawaii, so it is not something found
there. 

Please e-mail responses to: [email-masked]

              \\///                                    
              @ \\\      ^`^`^`^`^                              
            /////\\\\ eric dingeldein  ////:      "we can, if we so choose,
         o\\\\\\///// rebecca christie \\\//):      wander aimlessly over
            >///\\\\\ [email-masked] ///\\  ):     the continent of the
                  \()                  ()/      ):    arbitrary" - haruki
                    ()                ()                           murakami
                  xxx               xxx