Subject: PUB: Cultivating Knowledge (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Larry London)
Date: 3 Jun 1994 11:44:44 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 06:47:16 -0700
From: Preston Hardison <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list INDKNOW <[email-masked]>
Subject: PUB: Cultivating Knowledge

                            CULTIVATING KNOWLEDGE
                 Genetic Diversity, farmer experimentation and
                                 crop research

                    WALTER DE BOEF, OJO AMANOR, KATE WELLARD,
                       and ANTHONY BEBBINGTON (eds.)(1993)

   Intermediate Technology Publications Ltd
   103-105 Southampton Row, London WC1B 4HH
   UK

   CGN/ODI/WAU/IT Publications 1993

   ISBN I 85339 204 9 (pbk)
   ISBN I 85339 207 3 (hbk)

   Contents
   Figures and Tables
   Author biographies

   Introduction
   KOJO AMANOR, KATE WELLARD, WALTER DE BOEF
   and ANTHONY BEBBINGTON

   Part 1. Understanding Farmers' Knowledge

   Introduction KOJO AMANOR

   Local and scientific knowledge: developing a dialogue
   DIRK VAN DUSSELDORF and LOUK BOX

   Implications of farming and household strategies for the
   organization of a development project
   JACK BOTCHWAY

   Farmer experimentation and changing fallow ecology in the
   Krobo district of Ghana
   KOJO AMANOR

   Farmer experimentation and the cosmovision paradigm
   DAVID MILLAR

   Selection strategies of rice farmers in Sierra Leone
   CATHERINE LONGLEY and PAUL RICHARDS

   Part 2. Developing Local Crops

   Introduction KOJO AMANOR

   Linking farmers and plant breeders in local crop development
   JAAP J. HARDON and WALTER S. DE BOEF

   The science of plant breeding: support or alternative to traditional
   practices?
   TRYGVE BERG

   Linking genetic resource conservation to farmers in Ethiopia
   MELAKU WOREDE and HAILU MEKBIB

   Strengthening the informal seed system in communal areas of
   Zimbabwe
   ANDREW T. MUSHITA

   Sorghum genetic resources of small-scale farmers in Zimbabwe
   SASKIA VAN OOSTERHOUT

   Part 3. Building Linkages

   Mobilizing local expertise in plant genetic resources research
   GORDON PRAIN

   Seed fairs in the Andes: a strategy for local conservation of plant
   genetic resources
   MARIO E. TAPIA  and ALCIDES ROSA

   Farmer crop-selection criteria and genebank collections in
   Indonesia
   MARIANNE VAN DORP and TON RULKENS

   Participatory approaches to management of local resources in
   South India
   JAMES MASCARENHAS

   Linking local knowledge systems and agricultural research: the
   role of NGOs
   KATE WELLARD

   Conservation and utilization of food and medicinal plants in
   Botswana
   MARTIN N. MBEWE

   Interventions and sustainable agriculture in South Africa
   DAN TAYLOR

   Part 4. Challenging Policy

   Introduction
   KOJO AMANOR

   Revalidating women's knowledge on indigenous vegetables:
   implications for policy
   MONICA OPOLE

   Rediscovering local varieties of maize: challenging seed policy in
   Brazil
   ANGELA CORDEIRO

   Exploiting local knowledge: international policy implications
   PAT ROY MOONEY

   References

   Glossary

   Index