Subject: PANUPS: Online Resource Pointer #4
From: [email-masked] (EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk)
Date: 3 Jun 1994 20:14:17 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

From: EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk <pestdesk>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

Online Resource Pointer #4

May 27, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

*Trading Away U.S. Food Safety, 1994*  Patti Goldman and 
Richard Wiles.  This report analyzes the Uruguay Round's 
provisions and their effect on existing U.S. food safety 
laws, with a particular focus on pesticide regulation.  It 
discusses the detrimental effects the Uruguay Round could 
have on state food safety and environmental measures, with a 
focus on California.  The report critiques the standard-
setting process of the Codex Alimentarius Commission, and 
highlights the heavy agribusiness and chemical industry 
influence, Codex's inadequate (or virtually nonexistent) data 
requirements, and its policies concerning exposures to 
carcinogenic residues that are far less protective than U.S. 
standards.  86pp.  US$50.00 corporate and US$20.00 consumer.  
Public Citizen Publications, Dept. GATT, Suite 600, 2000 P 
Street N.W., Washington, D.C. 20036; phone (202) 833-3000; 
fax (202) 296-1727.    

*Pesticides: Pesticide Reregistration May Not Be Completed 
Until 2006, May 1993.*  United States General Accounting 
Office.  According to program projections EPA made in March 
1993, the agency will not reassess and reregister all 
pesticide products as expected.  EPA has estimated that it 
could complete the reassessment of all 642 pesticides in 2001 
or 2004 and then complete product reregistration in 2003 or 
2006, respectively, depending on whether projected funding 
limitations are addressed.  The factors that have affected 
the program funding are discussed in detail in this report.  
37pp.  The first copy of each GAO report and testimony is 
free.  Additional copies are US$2.00 each.  U.S. General 
Accounting Office, P.O. Box 6015, Gaithersburg, MD 20884-
6015; phone (202) 512-6000; fax (301) 258-4066.

*Farmers and Pesticides: A Pilot Study on Pesticide Handling 
Practices and Health Impact of Pesticides on Farmers, 1993.*  
Dr. Deepika Kothari and Vinod Joshi.  This report, based on a 
pilot study carried out in Udaipur district of Rajasthan, 
India highlights the problems that Indian farmers using 
agrochemicals face through lack of information among both the 
applicators and mixers and the pesticide promoters such as 
plant protection personnel, entomologists, agriculture 
extension officers, doctors, and health workers.  The first 
study of its kind in the Rajasthan region, the authors offer 
suggestions for reform which include:  promotion of 
Integrated Pest Management (IPM);  safety training through 
the agricultural department and NGOs; enforcement of 
legislation that protects the farmers; and encouraging 
agricultural universities to conduct pesticide residue 
analyses.  66pp.  Dr. Deepika Kothari, Rajastan Voluntary 
Health Association, B-72, Devi Path, Takhi-e-Shahi Road, 
Jaipur, 302004, India.

*Chaneg: Women and Pesticides, July-December, 1993.*  
Cordillera Women's Education and Resource Center.  "Chaneg" 
is a Filipino term for a tough and flexible strip of bamboo 
used to bind firewood or meat. During harvest season, men and 
women receive equal shares of "chaneg" but at the end of 
harvest, men are paid more for the same amount of work. 
"Chaneg" represents a vision of a future of equality between 
both women and men as well as the strength and resilience of 
the Cordillera women.  This issue, (Vol. 4, No. 3/4), focuses 
on the history of women's role in agricultural production in 
the Philippines.  Female laborers, whose role was once to 
weed, manually control pests, and select seeds for storage, 
has been displaced by the green revolution and pesticides.  
Today these women are exposed to pesticides for longer and 
more continuous periods of time than men because planting the 
crops has traditionally been their role in agriculture.  Men 
are usually exposed to pesticides only during application. 
27pp. US$10.00 or P40.00 per copy.  Chaneg, P.O. Box 7691, 
GARCOM, Baguio City (752) DAPO 1300 Domestic Road, Pasay 
City, Philippines.  

*A Report on Pesticides, 1994.*  Pesticides Watch.  This 
report is an update of the pesticide scene in Nepal between 
1993-1994.  One of the highlights of this report is the 
Nepalese governments decision to enforce the "Pesticides Act" 
in June 1994, which is aimed to regulate the pesticide 
industry in that country.  8pp.  Pesticide Watch, Nepal Forum 
of Environmental Journalists, P.O. Box 5143, Kathmandu, 
Nepal; phone (977-1) 227691 or 211891; fax (977-1) 227691; 
email [email-masked].

*International Advocacy Handbook, 1993.*  World Wildlife Fund 
(WWF).  The handbook does not attempt to cover everything, 
but provides a rough idea of how the international policy 
process works and some practical suggestions for promoting 
NGO concerns in international negotiations and meetings.  
28pp.  WWF International, Avenue du Mont Blanc, CH1196 Gland, 
Switzerland; phone (41-22) 364 91 11; fax (41-22) 364 58 29.

*NYCAP News.*  New York Coalition for Alternatives to 
Pesticides. A quarterly newsletter of NYCAP, a citizens 
organization committed to public education and advocacy to 
reduce pesticide hazards. Some topics include:  alternatives 
and integrated pest management policies; organochlorines and 
breast cancer; high incidence of cancer linked with golf 
courses; agent orange litigation, airline pesticide spraying, 
and much more. Annual membership or subscription dues vary 
from US$50-200 for business, US$25 for individuals; to US$6-
10 for low income.  NYCAP, P.O. Box 6005, Albany, NY 12206-
0005; phone (518) 426-8246 or (518) 426-9331.

*Intercountry Programme for the Development and Application 
of Integrated Pest Control in Rice in South and South-East 
Asia, Phase I and II, 1994.*  Food and Agriculture 
Organization of the United Nations, (FAO).  This program was 
established on the request of the participating governments 
to assist with the development of integrated pest management 
to pest control in rice production.  Since the situation was 
similar in all intensified rice producing areas in Asia, a 
regional approach was considered to be the most effective 
strategy, because it would enhance cooperation and 
coordination among countries (i.e., Bangladesh, China, India, 
Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and 
Vietnam.  This report highlights the project findings and 
recommendations.  FAO, David Lubin Memorial Library, 
Reference and Documentary Information Section, Via delle 
Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome, Italy.

*Communities at Risk: Contaminated Communities Speak out on 
Superfund, 1994.*  Communities at Risk Network.  This report 
outlines what communities living near contaminated sites 
consider to be problems. Superfund sites in this report 
include: DDT in Stringfellow Acid Pits, Riverside, CA; DDT in 
Gary, IN; dioxin in Diamond Alkali Company, Newark, NJ; and 
dioxin in Aberdeen, South Carolina.  US$15.  Communities at 
Risk, c/o The Center for Community Action and Environmental 
Justice (CCAEJ), P.O. Box 33124, Riverside, CA 92519; phone 
(909) 360-8451.  Make checks payable to "CCAEJ."  

*Farming More Sustainably in the South: Nine Farmers' 
Stories, 1994.*  Stories from nine farmers in the southern 
U.S. include: low-input dairy farming in South Carolina; 
organic cotton in Tennessee; improving soil organically in 
Alabama; polycropping grains in Texas; sugarcane crops in 
Louisiana; cut-flowers in Arkansas; cover-cropping with 
market cotton; pumpkins in Oklahoma; and organic cotton in 
Texas. 30pp. Michael Sligh, Southern Sustainable Agriculture 
Working Group, Box 727, Mauldin, SC 29662; phone: (803) 297-
8562 or Keith Richards, Farmer Story Coordinator, 1533 S. 
Duncan, Fayetteville, AR 72701; phone (501) 521-7922.

***
The Online Resource Pointer is a feature of PANUPS, PANNA's 
online news update service.  The Online Resource Pointer is 
an extension of the Resource Pointer, a regular feature in 
our quarterly newsletter, the Global Pesticide Campaigner, 
which lists selected books, reports, periodicals, articles 
and videos that focus on issues related to pesticides and 
sustainable agriculture.  

The Online Resource Pointer is available to our online PANUPS 
subscribers and can be found in the appropriate EcoNet 
conferences, the public conference on RTK NET, GeoNet in the 
PESTICIDES-BBS bulletin board, the EcoNet echo on FidoNet, 
the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and 
PENpages agriculture information service at Penn State 
University.

We welcome those interested in having resources listed in the 
Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Publications and Information 
Coordinator Ellen Hickey or Information Program Associate 
Gina Bearse for further information.  
============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide 
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA is 
located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, CA 
94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To receive a 
standard information packet about the Pesticide Action Network 
send a short e-mail message to [email-masked].
=============================================================