Subject: Panups: US Agrochem lead sales 93
From: [email-masked] (EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk)
Date: 7 Jun 1994 01:21:35 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

From: EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk <pestdesk>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

U.S. Agrochem Companies Lead 1993 Sales Growth

June 3, 1994

Among the major agrochemical companies, U.S.-based 
multinationals Monsanto, Cynanmid and DuPont had the highest 
increase in sales in 1993.  Monsanto had the largest one year 
increase (17.4%) of any of the major companies in recent 
years, and rose to fourth place in a ranking of major 
producers by sales in dollars.  Due to its strong performance 
in the U.S. market, DuPont came in second only to Swiss-based 
Ciba, surpassing European-based competitors, Rhone-Poulenc 
and Zeneca.

Sandoz was the only European-based multinationals that 
reported a growth in dollar sales in 1993.  This was due in 
part to its strength in the U.S. market (40% of its sales are 
in North America).  Rhone-Poulenc, Schering and BASF showed 
declines in dollar sales which the companies attributed to 
the contraction of the European market, especially in France 
and Germany.

Consolidation among  mid-sized companies, especially the 
merger of Hoechst and ScheringUs agrochemical businesses 
(AgrEvo) and  American CyanamidUs acquisition of ShellUs 
agrochemical business, are predicted to produce some 
significant changes in the 1994 rankings. With the 
combination of Hoechst and ScheringUs revenues last year, 
AgrEvo would have ranked second, above Du Pont, in 1993.

Top 10 Agrochemical Companies
	Company	1993 sales	% change
			(million US$)	from 1992

1.  Ciba		2,790	- 5.1
2.  DuPont		2,014	+ 4.4
3.  Zeneca		1.950 	- 4.3
4.  Monsanto		1.967*	+17.4
5.  Bayer		1,790	- 6.8
6.  Rhne-Poulenc	1,756	- 9.4
7.  DowElanco		1,604	+ 1.5
8.  Hoechst		1,355	- 0.3
9.  BASF		1,149	- 3.0
10. American		1,100	+10.0
	Cyanamid

* Includes animal feed ingredient sales of approximately $29 
million.

Source: Agrow, April 22, 1994.
Contact: PANNA

=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA is 
located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, CA 
94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To receive a 
standard information packet about the Pesticide Action Network 
send a short e-mail message to [email-masked]. 
=============================================================