Subject: NEWS: Sustainable Ag Week - 5/25/94 (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Hegyes)
Date: 7 Jun 1994 19:07:59 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 27 May 94 05:37 PDT
From: Michelle Thom <[email-masked]>
To: "Recipients of conference susag.news" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Sustainable Ag Week - 5/25/94

Sustainable Agriculture Week
Produced by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
May 25, 1994
Volume 3, Number 10
_____________________________________________
HEADLINES
_____________________________________________
- SAWGs BEGIN CAMPAIGN FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE
- PUBLICATION PRAISES APPROVAL OF ACETOCHLOR
- USDA RELEASES 1992 PESTICIDE RESIDUE SUMMARY
- BRITISH FARMERS DEBATE SET-ASIDE
- ECOGEN WORKING ON BIOPESTICIDES
- GRAZING PROMOTED AT RECENT BEEF EXPO
- IOWA EXTENSION SELLING IPM RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
NEWS SUMMARIES
_____________________________________________
SAWGs BEGIN CAMPAIGN FOR SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE

The regional Sustainable Agriculture Working Groups (SAWGs), 
which have been working to promote sustainable agricultural policy 
initiatives at a national level, have launched a Campaign for 
Sustainable Agriculture.  The campaign will focus on the upcoming 
debate over the 1995 Farm Bill.  Campaign strategies include 
activating member organizations; action alert networks; organizing 
meetings; and building support among congressional members.  The 
SAWGs met in a National Dialogue earlier this year to prioritize policy 
options for the 1995 Farm Bill.  Among the Dialogue's priorities are 
"green payment" incentives for farmers who produce sustainably; 
fair trade policies; community-oriented development and marketing; 
total farm resource management; and minority farmers and 
farmworkers rights.    For more information, contact the National 
Sustainable Agriculture Coordinating Council, 32 North Church Street, 
Goshen, NY 10924, Tel:  (914) 294-0633, Fax:  (914) 294-0632.

California joined the National Dialogue with the recent formation of 
its own sustainable agriculture working group.  Members of the 
California SAWG include the California Alliance with Family Farmers, 
California Certified Organic Farmers, the Tri-County Pesticide 
Coalition and the California Rice Industry Association.  The California 
SAWG joins the Midwest SAWG, the Northeast SAWG and the 
Southern SAWG.

Source:  Amy Little, Memo to Participants in the National Dialogue, 
May 9, 1994; Kai Seidenburg, "SAWGs:  Changing Policy, Changing 
Agriculture," RURAL CALIFORNIA REPORT, Spring 1994.

PUBLICATION PRAISES APPROVAL OF ACETOCHLOR

A recent issue of FOOD PRODUCT DESIGN, a publication of the food 
processing industry, praised the approval of the herbicide acetochlor 
(see Sustainable Agriculture Week 4/11/94), a known carcinogen, for 
use on corn.  Robert Weeks said approval made sense for three 
reasons:  acetochlor is more efficient than other chemicals and will 
reduce overall use;  the carcinogens acetochlor will replace are far 
more potent and dangerous; and the herbicide will be subjected to 
continuous monitoring and reapproval after 10 years.  He said the 
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) deserves praise for  trying to 
reduce the health risks associated with pesticide use. "These actions 
on acetochlor indicate a continuing common sense approach by the 
EPA under [Administrator] Carol Browner's leadership," Weeks said.

In other EPA news, the agency is reportedly holding off on 
completing reviews of some pesticides.  In a statement released in 
April, the agency said it was holding off "to avoid wasting resources 
on actions that may be revised once various policy issues ... are 
resolved."  Sources believe the delay is in anticipation of changes to 
the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act's Delaney Clause, which 
prohibits the presence of carcinogens in processed foods.

Source:  Robert F. Weeks, "A Common Sense Solution," FOOD PRODUCT 
DESIGN, April 1994; "EPA Stops Review of Some Pesticides, Pending 
Legislation," FEEDSTUFFS, May 2, 1994.

USDA RELEASES 1992 PESTICIDE RESIDUE SUMMARY

In April, the USDA released its 1992 summary of pesticide residues 
on selected produce.  The data comes from the department's 
Pesticide Data Program (PDP), set up in 1991 to gather data about 
pesticide residues on fruits and vegetables.  For the 1992 summary, 
samples were collected randomly at terminal markets and 
distribution centers "to be as close to the consumer level as possible."  
Lon Hatamiya of the USDA's Agricultural Marketing Service said in 
general, samples showed pesticide residues well below generally 
accepted levels by the EPA.  However, residues were detected in 
61.2% of all produce tested.  For individual commodities, residues 
ranged from 35.3% to 88.5% of all samples tested.  Hatamiya 
attributes this to the sensitive detection capability of the PDP.  More 
information can be obtained from William Franks or Robert Epstein, 
Science Division, AMS, USDA, P.O. Box 96456, Washington, D.C. 20090, 
Tel:  (202) 720-5231.

Source:  "USDA Releases 1992 Pesticide Residue Summary," USDA 
NEWS RELEASES, April 11, 1994.

BRITISH FARMERS DEBATE SET-ASIDE

A recent article in the FINANCIAL TIMES reports that farmers are 
bitterly debating the pros and cons of set-aside under the European 
Union's (EU) Common Agricultural Policy, which requires that 15% of 
a farmer's land be kept out of production in an effort to control 
production.  Patrick Holden of the British Organic Farmers said the 
policy is a farce as farmers will simply step up production on their 
available land, thereby further damaging the environment.  Trying to 
promote set-aside in the name of environmental protection "is just 
making the best of a bad job," said Holden.

Howard Fearn of the British Ministry of Agriculture disagreed, saying 
a recent study by Wye College of the University of London showed 
farmers were not necessarily intensifying production on existing 
land.  He said that the environment was inextricably linked to 
agricultural policy and is becoming a way of making agricultural 
subsidies more acceptable to the taxpayers.  "The only way of getting 
the taxpayer rather than the farmer to pay is to introduce something 
called the environment," he said.

Most farmers agree that the environment is important, but bottom 
line financial concerns will undoubtedly win out in choosing their 
methods of agricultural production.  "They can look towards the 
movement of sustainable farming, but if they take their eye off the 
costs, they're in deep trouble," said Jim McCauley, one of the 
meeting's organizers.  "At the end of the day, farmers have got to 
produce a net profit."

Earlier this month, the EU launched its first environmental audit of 
farming practices.  The audit is the idea of a group known as LEAF -- 
Linking Environment and Farming -- which seeks to promote 
profitable but ecologically sustainable farming methods.  Farmers 
with 100 or more hectares of land in production will be asked to fill 
out a questionnaire which asks about their practices pertaining to 
wildlife habitat, the landscape, soil management, crop protection, 
energy conservation, pollution control, animal welfare and overall 
farm planning and organization.  "I hope that carrying out this 
exercise will help farmers get and maintain markets for their 
produce by building a better image for their products," said U.K. 
Minister of Agriculture Gillian Shepherd.

Source:  Alison Maitland, "Ankle Deep in Agricultural Controversy," 
FINANCIAL TIMES, May 6, 1994; Alison Maitland, "Best Practice for 
Survival," FINANCIAL TIMES, May 11, 1994.
 
ECOGEN WORKING ON BIOPESTICIDES

The biotechnology company Ecogen is working on a biopesticide that 
relies on the use of natural scents, known as pheromones, to sexually 
stimulate male insects.  The insects become disoriented with 
overstimulation and lose their ability to mate.  Driving the 
development is the notion that "the confused males can't find the 
females, no mating occurs and the next generation of pests is wiped 
out," according to Ecogen Vice President John McIntyre.  

Biopesticide manufacturers like Ecogen hope to catch a significant 
market share by the year 2000 by promoting products that prey on 
specific pests without harming natural predators or the surrounding 
ecosystem.  "The goal is to develop biorational products that are 
ecologically sound and are not harmful to humans and other living 
creatures.  Biopesticides are naturally occurring organisms ... Such 
products do not contaminate the soil or ground water and leave no 
harmful residue on foods.  They are safe for consumers, friendly to 
the environment and good news for growers who want to remain 
competitive in the global market," said Ecogen CEO Jim Reilly.

The company is also reportedly working on inserting Bacillus 
thuringiensis (Bt) genes into organisms.

In Florida, citrus growers are experimenting with the use of parasitic 
wasps to combat the leafminer moth, which is adversely affecting 
this year's crop.  The wasps, from Australia, kill the moths by 
stinging them and depositing internal parasites, which eventually kill 
them.  "The initial releases are promising.  We've had two 
researchers report that they saw the wasps stinging the eggs of the 
leafminer, so there's a good possibility we already have some 
parasitism going on," said Marjorie Hoy, an entomologist at the 
University of Florida in Gainesville.  Hoy said the advantage of the 
technology is that the wasps often succeed where traditional 
chemicals failed.

Source:  "Biopesticides are Tough on Pests, Gentle on the 
Environment," PR NEWSWIRE, April 22, 1994; "Citrus Growers Fight 
Moths With Wasps," REUTER, May 5, 1994.

GRAZING PROMOTED AT RECENT BEEF EXPO

At the recent World Beef Expo, management-intensive cattle grazing 
was promoted as an alternative to traditional feedlot production.  Jim 
Gerrish of the University of Missouri's Forage Systems Research 
Center said the notion of management intensive grazing is built on 
four principles:  meeting the nutrient needs of the livestock; 
optimizing forage yield; protecting and enhancing the natural 
resource base of the farm; and making a profit.  "All of these factors 
are closely interrelated and should be considered from a total 
systems approach," said Gerrish.  He said in designing an intensive 
grazing system, farmers need to consider the availability and quality 
of forage in order for the system to work and be profitable.  The 
expo took place in Madison, Wisconsin in April.

Source:  Jeff DeYoung, "Grazing System Emphasizes Importance of 
Management," IOWA FARMER TODAY, May 14, 1994.

IOWA EXTENSION SELLING IPM RESOURCES

The Iowa State University Extension Service is selling a variety of 
publications on Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and Integrated 
Crop Management (ICM) techniques.  The ICM HANDBOOK (MFD-5) 
helps people integrate overall knowledge of their farming system,  
said Jerry Miller, and extension agronomist.  The handbook costs $15.

Four publications on IPM are also available.  They are entitled:  
"Beneficial Insects in Field Crops" (IPM-34); "Insects Pests of 
Soybeans" (IPM-32); "Insect Pests of Corn" (IPM-31); and "Insect 
Pests of Alfalfa" (IPM-31).  The first copy is free, with additional 
copies costing 50 cents.

The handbooks are available from Extension Publications 
Distribution, Printing and Publications Building, ISU, Ames, IA 50011.  

Source:  Dan Zinkand, "Handbooks Tell How to Blend IPM Into Farm 
System," IOWA FARMERS TODAY, May 14, 1994.
_____________________________________________
RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
AN ECONOMIC ANALYSIS  OF ORGANIC COTTON AS A NICHE CROP IN 
TEXAS is a report prepared by the Graduate School of Business at the 
University of Texas-Austin for the Texas Bureau of Business.  The 
report examines the advantages and economic implications of organic 
cotton production in Texas.  Recommendations include:  creating 
incentives for producing and processing cottons in ways that are 
environmentally friendly; encouraging value-added enterprises; 
developing local producers' groups to promote a local value-added 
industry;  funding for research on producing and processing niche 
cottons; and eliminating disincentives for alternative methods of 
agricultural production.  For a copy, contact the Bureau of Business, 
Austin, TX  Research, P.O. Box 7459, Austin, TX 78713, Tel:  (512) 
471-1616l Fax:  (512) 471-1063.

The Center for Alternative Plant and Animal Products at the 
University of Minnesota has available an annual report on the 
center's activities and a bibliography of publications on alternative 
agricultural commodity opportunities.  For more information, contact 
Center for Alternative Plant and Animal Products, 340 Alderman 
Hall, 1970 Folwell Avenue, University of Minnesota, St. Paul, MN 
55108.
_____________________________________________
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
_____________________________________________
PRAIRIE FESTIVAL 1994:  THE PATTERN WHICH CONNECTS, May 27-
29, 1994, Salina, KS.  FFI, contact:  The Land Institute, 2440 East 
Water Well Road, Salina, KS 67401.

LEGUMES IN CROPPING SYSTEMS OF THE TROPICS AND SUBTROPICS, 
May 30-June 24, 1994, Stuttgart, Germany.  FFI, contact:  Course 
Coordinator, Centre for Agriculture in the Tropics and Subtropics, 
University of Hohenheim, 70593 Stuttgart, Germany, Tel:  (49) 0711 
459-3742, Fax:  (49) 0711 459-3315.

ROLE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES IN THE 
DEVELOPMENT OF A SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE:  DEALING WITH 
INSTITUTIONAL CONSTRAINTS, June 1, 1994, St. Paul, MN.  FFI, 
contact:  Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture, Tel:  (612) 
625-8235, Email:  [email-masked].

DEFINING SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES:  WHAT ARE THEY?  HOW DO WE GET THERE?, June 
2-4, 1994, Oakland, CA.  FFI, contact:  Defining 
Sustainable Communities, 2000 P Street NW, Suite 408, Washington, 
D.C. 20036, Tel:  (202) 833-4667, Fax:  (202) 833-4670.

TOWARD THE WORLD GOVERNING OF THE ENVIRONMENT, June 2-5, 
1994, Venice, Italy.  FFI, contact:  International Court of the 
Environment, Corte Suprema di Cassazione, Piazza Cavour 1, 00193 
Rome, Italy, Tel:  (39) 6 6868597, Fax:  (39) 6 68300783.

ENVIRONMENTAL AGRICULTURE:  TOWARDS 2000, June 5-8, 1994, 
Queensland, Australia.  FFI, contact:  ISEAT Symposium Secretariat, 
National Australia Travel Ltd., P.O. Box 9909, Brisbane, Queensland, 
Australia, Tel:  (61) 75 390333, Fax:  (61) 75 390195, email:  
[email-masked].

SOCIETY AND RESOURCE MANAGEMENT:  5TH INTERNATIONAL 
SYMPOSIUM, June 7-10, 1994, Fort Collins, CO.  FFI, contact:  Jennifer 
Pate, Tel:  (303) 491-2077.

CUISINE, AGRICULTURE AND SOCIAL CHANGE, June 9-12, 1994, 
Tucson, AZ.  FFI, contact:  Gerry Walter, 59 Mumford, 1301 West 
Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, Tel:  (217) 333-9429, Fax:  (217) 
244-7503, email:  [email-masked].

HOUSE AGRICULTURE SUBCOMMITTEE ON DEPARTMENT OPERATIONS AND NUTRITION HEARINGS 
ON CLINTON ADMINISTRATION PESTICIDE BILL, June 14-15, 1994, Washington, D.C.  
FFI, contact:  Stan Ray, Subcommittee Staff, Tel:  (202) 2125-1495.

LAKE SUPERIOR ALLIANCE MEETING, June 17-19, 1994, Bayfield, WI.  
FFI, contact:  Jim Bradley, FOCUS, Tel:  (906) 884-4274 or Andrew 
Savagian, Sierra Club, Tel:  (608) 257-4994.

INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOSYSTEM HEALTH AND 
MEDICINE:  NEW GOALS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT, June 
19-23, 1994, Ottawa, Ontario.  FFI, contact:  Remo Petrongolo, Office 
of Continuing Education, 159 Johnston Hall, University of Guelph, 
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada, Tel:  (519) 824-4120, Fax:  (519) 
767-0758.

WOMEN, FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, June 24-26, 1994, Loveland, OH.  
FFI, contact:  Audrey Sorrento, 932 OUBannonville Road, Loveland, OH 
45140, Tel:  (513) 683-2340.

GLOBAL FORUM U94:  CITIES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, June 24-July 3, 1993, 
Manchester, England.  FFI, contact:  Global Forum 
U94, Eastgate, Castle Street, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4LZ, England, 
Tel:  (44) 061 234-3741, Fax:  (44) 061 234-3743.

INTRODUCTION TO SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL SYSTEMS, June 27-August 18, 1994, 
Davis, CA.  FFI, contact:  Mark Van Horn, Student 
Experimental Farm, Department of Agronomy, University of 
California, Davis, CA 95616, Tel:  (916) 752-7645.
_____________________________________________
Produced by:  Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy, 1313 5th Street SE Suite 303, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Tel:  
(612) 379-5980  Fax:  (612) 379-5982  EMail:  [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  In addition to this news bulletin, the 
Institute publishes a variety of news bulletins on agriculture, the 
environment and international trade.  All bulletins may be 
reproduced and distributed freely without prior permission as long 
as proper attribution is included.  A copy of any publication in which 
an IATP bulletin is cited would be appreciated.