Subject: What is neem? (A. indica)
From: [email-masked] (Niall Hanan)
Date: 10 Jun 1994 14:54:49 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <[email-masked]>
[email-masked] (Louis Hom) asks:

>
>Can anyone tell me what neem is?  I think it's some sort of botanical
>spray for control of insect pests, but I'm not sure.
>--
>

The neem tree (Species Azadirachta indica) orginated in drier regions 
of northern India across to Burma. Now planted in many parts of the
semi-arid tropics. Prefers annual rainfall of about 450-700 mm, but can 
withstand drier conditions and drought years. Particularly common in 
West Africa where it was planted by the French colonial administrations 
of Senegal, Mali, Niger etc. Many of these trees in West Africa are now 
over mature and dying, the cause of some distress since few have been 
planted since independence.

Used in West Africa primarily for shade in compounds and villages. Branches 
are sometimes cut during the dry season to provide leaf forrage for goats 
and camels (not palatable to cattle or sheep). Leaves and flowers also 
sometimes used for cooking as condiments. 

In India, less in Africa, the leaves and fruits are exploited for their 
content of azadirachtine, an effective insecticide against insect larvae. 
Leaves or fruit can be dried and ground and the powder resuspended in water 
as a spray for agricultural usage or for cereal grains etc. in storage.
The tree itself is said to deter insects from bothering people and animals 
taking shelter beneath it!

Leaves, fruit, bark and roots are all used in traditional medicine in India 
against many different illnesses. The shorter history of this tree in Africa, 
and lack of information on it's many beneficial uses, might explain why it is 
somewhat less used.
-- 

niall hanan

1138b LeFrak Hall