Subject: Sustainable Ag Week - 6/9/94 (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Lehman)
Date: 11 Jun 1994 12:55:07 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Sustainable Agriculture Week
Produced by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
June 7, 1994
Volume 3, Number 11
_____________________________________________
HEADLINES
_____________________________________________
- SCIENTISTS EXAMINE ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO DEAL WITH WEEDS
- STUDY TO LOOK AT HOW INDUSTRY CAN SUPPORT SUSTAINABLE 
AGRICULTURE
- MORE BIOPESTICIDES BECOMING COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE
- KENYAN PYRETHRUM MARKET DOMINATED BY SMALL GROUP
- PROJECT SEEKS TO INCLUDE WATER QUALITY
_____________________________________________
NEWS SUMMARIES
_____________________________________________
SCIENTISTS EXAMINE ALTERNATIVE WAYS TO DEAL WITH WEEDS

Idaho researchers are weighing benefits of the presence of weeds in 
fields against herbicide use and tilling.  Don Morishita of the 
University of Idaho's Extension service and his colleagues are 
involved in a six-year study comparing integrated weed 
management and conventional farming techniques.  "It's making us 
take a closer look at how many weeds we can tolerate and by 
tolerating more weeds, we're probably going to reduce the amount of 
chemical weed controls," said Morishita.  They say that the trick to 
treating persistent weeds is mapping and marking the places where 
they occur and treating just those spots.  They hope to eventually 
incorporate the use of satellite technology in determining the places 
where weeds persist.  "The thing that we don't know is how these 
parts all fit together.  That's the purpose of these long-term studies," 
said Donn Thill, who is also working on the study.

Source:  Marlene Fritz, "Scientists Study Financial, Environmental 
Costs," AGWEEK, May 23, 1994.

STUDY TO LOOK AT HOW INDUSTRY CAN SUPPORT SUSTAINABLE 
AGRICULTURE

A British entomologist is working with the Leopold Center and Iowa 
State University's Center for Agriculture and Rural Development to 
find ways the chemical industry can develop products in support of 
sustainable agricultural practices.  Bill Vorley described the project 
as a dialogue that will attempt to remove some of the "distrust, 
uncertainty and sometimes conflict" which he says has often 
characterized the relationship between the chemical industry and the 
sustainable agriculture movement.  With pesticides coming under 
increasing fire by the Clinton administration, Vorley said his project 
will examine three questions:  are future resources sustained through 
current pesticide use practices; how can the chemical industry 
develop a strategy for change; and what business opportunities exist 
for the chemical industry in sustainable agriculture.  The project is 
funded in part by the Swiss chemical/pharmaceutical company Ciba-
Geigy.

Source:  Dan Zinkand, "'Plowing the Land' Between Chemicals, 
Sustainable Ag," IOWA FARMER TODAY, May 21, 1994.

MORE BIOPESTICIDES BECOMING COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE

A recent article in THE PLANTER, states that improvements have led 
to a growing demand and availability of more biopesticides on a 
commercial basis.  Biopesticides are characterized as formulations or 
preparations in which the active ingredient is based on or derived 
from a living microorganism.  The purpose of the product is to 
control or eradicate disease, weeds or pests.  For example, in 
commercially available biopesticides on the market now, 104 were 
derived from bacteria; 44 from nematodes; 12 from fungi; eight from 
viruses; six from protozoa; and 107 from various insects.  A major 
focus of biopesticide manufacturers is Bacillus thuringiensis or Bt, a 
toxin found in soil, which many say is now competing with synthetic 
chemicals.  World sales of biopesticides were estimated between $45 
and $60 million in 1992.  

In other news, a California company is marketing beneficial 
nematodes for use in the lawn and garden industry.  Nematodes have 
been used to successfully control pests that eat grass, shrubs and 
flowering plant roots.  Paul Dick, sales director for the Biosys 
company, said, "Every application made will replace two to three 
pounds of insecticide per acre.  Applying the product for one year on 
200,000 to 300,000 acres of corn and beans will reduce chemical use 
by a million pounds."  The product is also being used in citrus and 
herb production.  

Dick said the benefit of the nematodes is that they can be easily 
applied in bands through a water sprayer.  In addition, nematodes do 
not harm human health or the environment, according to Greg Tylka 
at Iowa State University.  On the downside, they are sensitive to 
ultra-violet rays and can dry out.  Also, there have been concerns 
that large applications of nematodes may eliminate some beneficial 
insects.  "If the nematode comes in contact with a beneficial insect, it 
may eat that too," said Tylka.  

Other companies are also developing new tools to battle pests more 
sustainably.  One example is the "smart sprayer," which has infrared 
sensors for detecting weeds.  Thus, farmers only have to spray where 
necessary.  Another machine sprays boiling water to kill weeds.  
However, this technology has not yet been perfected for row crops as 
it is not selective in what it damages.  

Source:  Stephen G. Lisansky, "Crop Protection Without Chemicals," 
THE PLANTER, January 1994; Joyce Vogelman, "Insects Deployed to 
Control Crop Pests," IOWA FARMER TODAY, May 21, 1994; "New Crop 
Technology, Sustainable Approaches," IOWA FARMER TODAY, May 
21, 1994.

KENYAN PYRETHRUM MARKET DOMINATED BY SMALL GROUP

A recent article in the FINANCIAL TIMES states that 80% of the 
Kenyan pyrethrum market is controlled by a small number of 
insecticide manufacturers.  Those companies are Johnson and 
Johnson, Roussel, Bayer, Sarah Lee and Sumitomo.  This year, Kenya 
produced a bumper crop of pyrethrum, a main ingredient in many 
natural pest control formulations.  Synthetic pesticides mimic the 
properties of pyrethrum.  However, supplies are becoming 
increasingly concentrated in a region that is prone to both drought 
and political violence and that has manufacturers worried, the article 
says.  Pyrethrum is currently grown by about 40,000 small-scale 
farmers in Kenya who produce 60-70% of the world's supply.  

Source:  Michael Griffin, "Kenya's Pyrethrum Dominance Challenged," 
FINANCIAL TIMES, June 2, 1994.

PROJECT SEEKS TO INCLUDE WATER QUALITY

A group of 42 farmers in central Minnesota are taking part in a 
project to protect groundwater quality.  The farmers are working 
with soil conservationists and researchers to identify ways they can 
reduce applications of pesticides, which can leach  and damage 
groundwater supplies.  The Anoka Sand Plain sits above a large sand 
and gravel aquifer and the intent of the project is to protect it for the 
estimated 100 to 200 homes that are being added to the area every 
year.  This means that "there is controversy.  It is the controversy 
over how what the producer does daily affects the homeowner," said 
Michael Blaine of the Soil Conservation Service (SCS).  

At the same time, stewardship must pay off, said Steve Sellnow of 
the Stearns County SCS.  One farmer said that his participation in the 
project has proven profitable.  "I make my fertilizer go a lot farther.  
And I'm more efficient with my manure system," he said.  In one 
area, atrazine use has been cut by 1/3.  Nitrogen use has been cut by 
almost 27 pounds per acre between 1991 and 1993 and all 42 
participants now scout their fields for pests.  The project is scheduled 
to end this September.  Most said they will continue with much of 
what they have been doing.

Source:  Jim Walsh, "Soil-Friendly Farming Helps Make Water Safer," 
MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE, June 1, 1994.
_____________________________________________
RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
IPMNET is a new online data source for information on Integrated 
Pest Management (IPM) techniques.  The network offers reports, 
issues of IPMNet News and other newsletters, technical information, 
a discussion forum and other databases.  For further information 
about the network and directions on accessing it via the Internet, 
contact A.E. Deutsch, Integrated Plant Protection Center, 2040 
Cordley Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, Tel:  (503) 
737-6275, Fax:  (503) 737-3080, email:  [email-masked].

The April 1994 issue of INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE & DEVELOPMENT 
MONITOR looks at issues of sustainable development.  Several 
articles address topics relating to sustainable agriculture including:  
"Indigenous post-harvest knowledge in an Egyptian oasis;" "The 
adoption of soil conservation practices in Burkina Faso;" and "Local 
farmers innovate in irrigation:  development of low-cost sprinklers in 
Kenya."  For more information and subscription rates, contact the 
Center for Indigenous Knowledge for Agriculture and Rural 
Development, P.O. Box 29777, 2502 LT The Hague, The Netherlands, 
Tel:  (31) 70 426-0324, Fax:  (31) 70 426-0329, email:  
[email-masked].

TOWARDS A FUTURE EC PESTICIDE POLICY is a publication of the 
Center for Agriculture and the Environment (CLM) in the 
Netherlands.  The report is intended to be the basis for discussion 
about pesticide use reduction among European farmers.  Risks, 
present policies, possible solutions and instruments for changing 
current European Union pesticide laws are also addressed.  For more 
information, contact CLM, P.O. Box 10015, 3505 AA Utrecht, The 
Netherlands, Tel:  (31) 030 441301, Fax:  (31) 030 441318.
_____________________________________________
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
_____________________________________________
LEGUMES IN CROPPING SYSTEMS OF THE TROPICS AND SUBTROPICS, 
May 30-June 24, 1994, Stuttgart, Germany.  FFI, contact:  Course 
Coordinator, Centre for Agriculture in the Tropics and Subtropics, 
University of Hohenheim, 70593 Stuttgart, Germany, Tel:  (49) 0711 
459-3742, Fax:  (49) 0711 459-3315.

CUISINE, AGRICULTURE AND SOCIAL CHANGE, June 9-12, 1994, 
Tucson, AZ.  FFI, contact:  Gerry Walter, 59 Mumford, 1301 West 
Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, Tel:  (217) 333-9429, Fax:  (217) 
244-7503, email:  [email-masked].

HOUSE AGRICULTURE SUBCOMMITTEE ON DEPARTMENT OPERATIONS 
AND NUTRITION HEARINGS ON CLINTON ADMINISTRATION 
PESTICIDE BILL, June 14-15, 1994, Washington, D.C.  FFI, contact:  
Stan Ray, Subcommittee Staff, Tel:  (202) 2125-1495.

LAKE SUPERIOR ALLIANCE MEETING, June 17-19, 1994, Bayfield, WI.  
FFI, contact:  Jim Bradley, FOCUS, Tel:  (906) 884-4274 or Andrew 
Savagian, Sierra Club, Tel:  (608) 257-4994.

INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOSYSTEM HEALTH AND 
MEDICINE:  NEW GOALS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT, June 
19-23, 1994, Ottawa, Ontario.  FFI, contact:  Remo Petrongolo, Office 
of Continuing Education, 159 Johnston Hall, University of Guelph, 
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada, Tel:  (519) 824-4120, Fax:  (519) 
767-0758.

TALK BY ALAN SAVORY, founder of Holistic Resource Management 
center, June 24, 1994, LaCrescent, MN.  FFI, contact Land 
Stewardship Project, Tel:  (507) 523-2204.

WOMEN, FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, June 24-26, 1994, Loveland, OH.  
FFI, contact:  Audrey Sorrento, 932 OUBannonville Road, Loveland, OH 
45140, Tel:  (513) 683-2340.

GLOBAL FORUM U94:  CITIES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, June 
24-July 3, 1993, Manchester, England.  FFI, contact:  Global Forum 
U94, Eastgate, Castle Street, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4LZ, England, 
Tel:  (44) 061 234-3741, Fax:  (44) 061 234-3743.

INTRODUCTION TO SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL SYSTEMS, June 27-
August 18, 1994, Davis, CA.  FFI, contact:  Mark Van Horn, Student 
Experimental Farm, Department of Agronomy, University of 
California, Davis, CA 95616, Tel:  (916) 752-7645.

BASICS OF FARMING AND MARKETING VEGETABLES, farm tour, June 
29, 1994, Delano, MN.  FFI, contact:  Tel:  (612) 972-2052.
Fax:  (42 2) 205878, email:  [email-masked].
_____________________________________________
Produced by:  Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy, 1313 5th Street SE Suite 303, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Tel:  
(612) 379-5980  Fax:  (612) 379-5982  EMail:  [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  In addition to this news bulletin, the 
Institute publishes a variety of news bulletins on agriculture, the 
environment and international trade.  All bulletins may be 
reproduced and distributed freely without prior permission as long 
as proper attribution is included.  A copy of any publication in which 
an IATP bulletin is cited would be appreciated.