Subject: NEWS: Food Safety Week - 6/7/94 (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Lehman)
Date: 11 Jun 1994 12:56:42 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Food Safety Week
Produced by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
June 7, 1994
Volume 2, Number 11
_____________________________________________
HEADLINES
_____________________________________________
- MILK PRICES CONTINUE DOWNWARD TREND WITH rBGH
- CALGENE CELEBRATES, GROUP PROMISES BOYCOTT
- RESIDUE SURVEY RESULTS RELEASED
- SENATE PASSES REAUTHORIZATION OF SDWA
- EU AGREES TO TIGHTER BEEF CONTROLS
- NEW STANDARDS FOR SCHOOL LUNCHES DUE OUT SOON
- CORPORATE NEWS
_____________________________________________
NEWS SUMMARIES
_____________________________________________
MILK PRICES CONTINUE DOWNWARD TREND WITH rBGH

Agri-Mark, the largest dairy cooperative in the Northeast, has asked 
the federal government to intervene and stop dairy prices from 
continuing their downward trend.  Last month, cheese prices on the 
National Cheese Exchange fell about 20%.  The cheese exchange price 
sets the Minnesota-Wisconsin milk price, a benchmark for milk 
prices in other regions of the country.  Agri-Mark economist Robert 
Wellington said if the price slide is not stopped, the price paid to 
dairy farmers in the Northeast could drop $1 per hundredweight this 
summer and as much as $2 per hundredweight this fall.  "It could be 
a crushing blow for most farmers," Wellington said.

Officials with this particular cooperative said they did not believe the 
price drop could be attributed to the use of recombinant bovine 
growth hormone (rBGH or BST), but rather to an increase in 
production in the West.  Agri-Mark has asked the USDA to ease the 
price slide by making advanced purchases of cheese and other dairy 
products for the school lunch program and other recipients of 
government surplus.

Lower prices paid to farmers will probably not translate into lower 
prices for consumers.  "It's far more typical for a retailer in a period 
of declining wholesale prices just to hold the retail price steady, or 
maybe run a special," said Andrew Novakovic of Cornell University.  
He said government intervention would help, but only for awhile.  "I 
think the basic fundamentals of the marketplace ... suggest we're in a 
period where prices are going to be at best stable and more likely 
trend downward," he said.

Late last month, European Commission President Jacques Delors let 
slip that "technological developments will increase European milk 
production by about 10% in the near future."  This suggests that the 
Commission will not extend the one-year ban currently in place on 
the licensing of rBGH when it expires at the end of the year.  Under 
the recently-completed Uruguay Round of the General Agreement on 
Tariffs and Trade (GATT), countries cannot ban substances unless 
they can be scientifically proven to be unsafe.  "Following the GATT 
agreement, if the EU continues to deny farmers the tools to produce 
safely, it will risk opening the floodgates to world competition," said 
Johan Vanhemelrijk of the European Federation of Animal Health.  
Legalizing the drug is expected to encounter opposition from both 
consumers and the European dairy sector, which is also operating 
under a milk surplus.

Source:  "Agri-Mark Wants Government to Stop Decline in Dairy 
Prices, TIMES ARGUS, May 24, 1994; Anne Wallace, "Farmers' Group 
Blasts Hormone Use," RUTLAND DAILY HERALD, May 19, 1994; "Dairy 
Product Prices Continue Downward Slide," AGWEEK, May 16, 1994; 
"Farm Group Alleges Use of BGH Lowering Prices," TIMES ARGUS, 
May 18, 1994; "Friday the 13th Price Drop Linked to BGH Use," 
RURAL VERMONT PRESS RELEASE, May 18, 1994; Robert Greene, 
"Milk Glut," AP, June 2, 1994; "Hormone Embargo May Be Dropped," 
THE HERALD, May 28, 1994.

CALGENE CELEBRATES, GROUP PROMISES BOYCOTT

Calgene is celebrating the approval of its Flavr Savr tomato by the 
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) last month.  Limited quantities 
will soon be available in the Midwest and parts of California, said a 
Calgene spokesperson.  The Flavr Savr, genetically engineered to 
ripen slower than traditionally bred tomatoes, will be sold under the 
brand name MacGregor.  

The Pure Food Campaign (PFC) is beginning a boycott of Calgene's 
Flavr Savr tomato.  "The FDA approval of the Calgene tomato is 
grossly negligent and represents a threat to both consumers and 
farmers," said Jeremy Rifkin of the PFC.  The Union of Concerned 
Scientists recommended the FDA require safety reviews and labeling 
for genetically engineered foods.  The Grocery Manufacturers 
Association, on the other hand, celebrated the approval, saying about 
50 more biotech food products will be on the market in the next six 
years.

Source:  "Calgene Rolling with New Tomato; Consumer Boycott, 
Lawsuit Vowed," FOOD INSTITUTE REPORT, May 23, 1994; "FDA 
Approves Genetically Engineered Tomato," NUTRITION WEEK, May 
20, 1994.

SENATE PASSES REAUTHORIZATION OF SDWA

Last month, the Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of a bill to 
reauthorize the 1974 Safe Drinking Water Act.  The bill, authored by 
Max Baucus (D-MT), eases standards for smaller water systems, 
which serve about 20% of the country. Systems that serve fewer than 
10,000 persons would be subject to less stringent safety standards 
through the use of cheaper technologies and less frequent testing.  
Some carcinogens would also be allowed in water "if it achieves 
substantial cost savings and does not result in a significant increase 
in individual lifetime cancer risks," according to a summary of the 
bill.  An amendment by Barbara Boxer (D-CA) requires the 
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to account for the 
vulnerabilities of unique population such as children and the elderly.  
Environment and health groups are working to strengthen the House 
version of the bill.

Source:  "Senate Approves Safe Drinking Water Legislation," 
NUTRITION WEEK, May 27, 1994.

EU AGREES TO TIGHTER BEEF CONTROLS

The European Union (EU) agreed to tighter controls over bovine 
spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), otherwise known as mad cow 
disease.  Meeting in Brussels, agriculture ministers of EU member 
nations agreed to extend the ban on the use of meat and bone meal 
in cattle feed to all members.  Currently, only the U.K. has such a ban 
in place.  German Health Minister Horst Seehofer has been 
threatening to ban imports of British beef for the past couple of 
months out of concern over the effects of BSE on humans.  "It should 
be enough to dispel any fears the German farm [sic] minister might 
have had," said EU Agriculture Commissioner Rene Steichen.  Other 
measures accepted were a proposal to increase the temperature used 
in the rendering process, restrictions on the use of meat by-products 
in cosmetics and a requirement that all member states be routinely 
checked for BSE outbreaks.  

In other meat news, one food executive recently predicted that meat 
blends would be the way of the future.  Frank Sanderson, CEO of 
Sanderson Farms in Mississippi, told food magazine editors at a 
gathering in April that a fifty-fifty burger containing beef and 
poultry will be the most common meat patty after the year 2000.  He 
predicted that chicken consumption would increase 16% by the turn 
of the century and that the majority of food we eat will be prepared 
outside the home by industry.  He also said the beef and poultry 
industries would have to work hard and stick together.

At a recent congressional hearing, the General Accounting Office 
(GAO) said that the nation's meat inspection system is only 
"marginally better" than it was a year ago in the aftermath of a 
massive food poisoning outbreak in the Pacific Northwest linked to 
consumption of fast food hamburgers.  Jeff Harmon of the GAO 
criticized the USDA's zero-tolerance requirement -- that all visible 
contaminants be trimmed away from carcasses -- as "a stopgap" step.  
He said zero-tolerance cannot guarantee cleaner beef because the 
government has not set up guidelines governing the presence of 
pathogens in packing houses.  

The meat industry, on the other hand, criticized zero-tolerance.  
Carcasses are being handled too frequently, thereby increasing the 
chance for plant workers and inspectors to spread dangerous 
pathogens.  "This strategy, in effect, is failing to deliver consumers 
safer beef and asking them to pay more for it," said J. Patrick Boyle 
of the American Meat Institute.  Patricia Jensen, acting assistant 
secretary for marketing and inspections said the USDA is involved in 
a pilot program seeking to measure the presence of bacteria in 
packing plants and on carcasses.  She also said her department has 
commissioned a study to look at washes, which are used in poultry 
plants.

Source:  "EU Tightens Beef Controls," FINANCIAL TIMES, June 1, 1994; 
"Minister Says Bonn Might Still Ban British Beef," REUTER, May 31, 
1994; Robert Brown, "Meat Blends Will Be Standard in the Future," 
FEEDSTUFFS, May 23, 1994; "U.S. Meat System 'Only Marginally 
Better,'" REUTER, May 24, 1994; Robert Greene, "Clean Beef," AP, May 
24, 1994.

NEW STANDARDS FOR SCHOOL LUNCHES DUE OUT SOON

The Clinton administration is expected to announce new standards 
for the school lunch program soon.  Under the proposal, new limits 
would be set for fat, sodium and cholesterol and require more fruits, 
vegetables and grains.  Local schools would be required to ensure 
that the meals meet federal standards for fat content and nutrients 
such as Vitamin A, Vitamin C, iron and calcium.  Four public hearings 
held throughout the country last fall revealed that school lunch 
program participants are served hot dogs, french fries and chicken 
nuggets with large amounts of salt on a routine basis.  A draft of the 
proposal said 38% of all calories in school lunches came from fat 
while 15% came from saturated fat.  The rules lower that percentage 
to 30%, with no more than 10% coming from saturated fat.  The rules, 
proposed by the USDA, are expected to appear in the Federal Register 
this week.  The public will have 90 days to comment.  

Robert Pear, "U.S. Proposes Healthier Food at All Schools," NEW YORK 
TIMES, June 7, 1994.

CORPORATE NEWS

The second largest food wholesaler in the U.S. will buy the country's 
third biggest for $1 billion.  The Fleming company announced its 
intention to buy Scrivener from its German parent company Franz 
Haniel.  The move will push SuperValu, formerly the country's 
largest food wholesaler, into the number two spot.  The purchase of 
Scrivener is expected to bring Fleming a combined annual sales total 
of $19 billion.

The chemical and pharmaceutical company Sandoz announced 
recently its intention to acquire the Gerber Products Company for 
$3.7 billion.  Gerber is a producer of baby food products and holds 
70% of the U.S. market share, worth $1.2 billion in annual sales.

Neogen, a Michigan-based company, which develops products it 
markets as having the ability to control residues for the food and 
agriculture industries, is expected to announce a buyout of the New 
Jersey-based Ampcor company.  Ampcor makes a test for detecting 
the presence of food borne pathogens.  "Our interest is this 
technology and getting diagnostic tests that can be used in food 
safety," said Neogen spokesperson Lon Bohannon.  He said consumer 
fears over food safety drove the company to purchase Ampcor.

Source:  Richard Tomkins, "U.S. Food deal Creates Leader," 
FINANCIAL TIMES, June 2, 1994; "Sandoz to Buy Gerber for $3.7 
Billion," Farming Today, UPI, May 24, 1994; "Neogen to Buy N.J. Food-
Testing Firm," UPI, June 2, 1994.
_____________________________________________
RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
The USDA's Economic Research Service publishes FOODREVIEW three 
times a year.  The publication examines issues related to food and 
nutrition such as dietary guidelines, the benefits of fiber and the 
food industry.  Subscriptions are $17/year.  Fore more information, 
contact FoodReview, Room 228 USDA, 1301 New York Avenue NW, 
Washington, D.C. 20005.

Another USDA publication, AGRICULTURAL OUTLOOK, examines the 
issue of seafood safety in the May 1994 edition.  Subscriptions are 
$42/year.  To order, contact ERS-NASS, 341 Victory Drive, Herndon, 
VA 22070.
_____________________________________________
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
_____________________________________________
CUISINE, AGRICULTURE AND SOCIAL CHANGE, June 9-12, 1994, 
Tucson, AZ.  FFI, contact:  Gerry Walter, 59 Mumford, 1301 West 
Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, Tel:  (217) 333-9429, Fax:  (217) 
244-7503, email:  [email-masked].

CONSUMER FEDERATION OF AMERICA'S 24TH ANNUAL AWARDS 
DINNER, June 21, 1994, Washington, D.C.  FFI, contact:  CFA, 1424 
16th Street NW, Suite 604, Washington, D.C. 20036.

WOMEN, FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, June 24, 1994, Loveland, OH.  FFI, 
contact:  Audrey Sorrento, 932 O'Bannonville Road, Loveland, OH 
45140, Tel:  (513) 683-2340.
_____________________________________________
Produced by:  Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy, 1313 5th Street SE Suite 303, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Tel:  
(612) 379-5980  Fax:  (612) 379-5982  EMail:  [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  In addition to this news bulletin, the 
Institute publishes a variety of news bulletins on agriculture, the 
environment and international trade.  All bulletins may be 
reproduced and distributed freely without prior permission as long 
as proper attribution is included.  A copy of any publication in which 
an IATP bulletin is cited would be appreciated.