Subject: QUESTION: Methane Systems On-farm
From: [email-masked] (Kristen Kelleher)
Date: 14 Jun 1994 22:00:12 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

SAN-mg,

I received a letter from some dairy farmers in Nehalem, Tillamook County,
Oregon asking for information about methane systems as fuel sources on a
small dairy farm.  I will reprint the bulk of the letter, asking you to
respond back to me if you have any ideas for these farmers.  Thank you in
advance for your help.

Kristen Kelleher
Public information, USDA Western SARE
[email-masked]

The farmers, Sage Walden and Brian Tallman, explain:

        We have a small dairy farm where we are trying to practice
sustainable agriculture.  Our current interest is using methane to provide
heat for all the hot water used on the dairy.  A friend who has traveled
extensively in the third world tells us small methane systems are common
sources of fuel.  We would to find information and locate sources of
systems suitable for small farms.

        The methane collection is accomplished with a floating bladder over
a manure pit or above ground storage facility similar to the ones ASCS (no
full org name given) is currently providing funds for in our area. Is it
possible to get a grant or matching funds to explore this idea further? 
Perhaps there is already something available?  The big round storage tanks
built on so many dairies seem perfect for the next step in conserving.

If you have any suggestions, please refer them to me and I will forward to
the farmers by mail.  I have already added them to our mailing list for
calls for proposals. Thank you.

Kristen Kelleher
Public Information, Western U.S.
USDA SARE/ACE
c/o University of California
(916) 752-5987
[email-masked]