Subject: Resource: Environmental News Resources (2 of 2)
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Andrew Hegyes)
Date: 17 Jun 1994 12:37:51 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 11:12:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gleason Sackman <[email-masked]>
To: net-happenings <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC> Environmental News Resources (2 of 2) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------

F. FTP:

1) ftp//sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/environment/alternative-energy/
        nc_solar_center/factsheets/aspvsite.fsh

Contains a good article on solar collectors. There are other articles
on solar homes, energy-saving landscaping, and other alternative
energy topics that are relevant to journalists, educators,
environmentalists, students.

V.  GROUND POLLUTION/HAZARDOUS WASTE

A. DATABASES:

1) RTK NET or the  "Right to Know Network"

** This is one of the most comprehensive environment-related
resources, particularly for information on hazardous waste and ground
pollution. RTK NET publishes numerous tables of information on
pollution and on the companies that generate it. Among RTK NET's most
signifcant postings is the annual  Toxic Release Inventory  issued by
the Environmental Protection Agency. The TRI lists the amount of
hazardous wastes released each year sorted along several paths,
including by chemical, by company, by industry and by geographic
region.
        The service also carries the Emergency Spills Registry  (for
accidents involving tankers and trucks),  the Water Permit Database,
and the  FINDS-EPA master facility locator. Many of these findings
can be cross-referenced with Census data. It is an indispensable
research tool and it is free. To access:

telnet: // rtknet.org  or Dial modem number (202) 234-8570

The service is operated as a joint, non-profit venture by OMB Watch
and  the Unison Institute of Washington, D.C. For more  information,
write to:

OMB Watch/Unison Institute,

1731 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., 4th Floor
 Washington,    DC  20009 -1146.

or call: (202) 234-8494 or (202) 797-7200

2) TOXNET

$$ The Toxicology Data Nework.  This is a branch of the National
Library of Medicine's MEDLARS system.  Offers five different
databases with information on thousands of hazardous substances.
Includes toxicity, safety and handling,environmental aspects, and
emergency medical treatment.  This service costsmoney to use.  Call
(703) 487-4650 for information on how to sign up.

B. GOPHERS:

1) gopher//Gopher.econet.apc.org/Environment/Toxics, Hazards &
Wastes/Solid Waste Landfills(Univ. of Wisconsin)

Here  lies everything you ever wanted to know about landfills. For
more information, write:

Judy Faber, program manager
Department of Engineering Professional Development
Correspondence Course Office
University of Wisconsin
432 North Lake Street
Madison, WI 53706
e-mail: [email-masked]
direct phone: (608) 262-1735; toll-free phone: (800) 462-0876
fax:  (608) 263-3160

2) world.std.com/periodicals, magazines,journals/rachel's hazardous
waste news

Rachels Hazardous Waste News: A great deal of information about
hazardous waste. Another gopher entry point to try is via
envirolink.org, then along the same path.  All back issues of the
electronic edition of Rachel's Hazardous Waste News are available via
anonymous ftp from world.std.com in the periodicals/rachel
subdirectory.

3) gopher//gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/EcoGopher
at Univ. of Virginia/Education/The EcoGopher Environmental/US Dept.
ofEnergy, . . . Environmental Guide.

Superfund Law Amendments and Reauthorization.

4) gopher://ecosys.drdr.Virginia.edu:70/11/library/factsheets/toxics

In this file are listed three hundred and fifty EPA Toxic Substances.

5) gopher:// envirolink.org/Hazardous Waste Issues/Waste Sites/ New
York, Ohio, etc.

Other articles here on toxic issues.

6) gopher:// stellate.health.ufl.edu

 OSHA information Occupational Safety and Health regulations.

7) gopher// bluehen.ags.udel.edu/Cooperative Extension
Bulletins/Food, Health and Nutrition/Pesticides

An agricultural bulletin board which explains what a pesticide is,
what laws regulate pesticides, and their uses, benefits, and
detriments.

C. LISTSERV:

1) HAZMAT-L

A forum for facilitating a central resource of chemical information
such as regulatory status, and toxicology information.

Subscribe: [email-masked]

D. FTP:

1) ftp:// siri.uvm.edu

           Text_files
           SafeLine_Text
           SIRI

The Safety Information Resource on the Internet (SIRI).  This is a
gopher and ftpsite that  provides access to file libraries, a
searchable index and gopher linksto other safety-related gopher
sites.  Though dedicated to a variety of safetyissues, a lot of
information on issues regarding hazardous waste can be foundhere.

2) ftp:// gandalf.umcs.maine.edu

Hazardous Materials Reports:  A database of the Hazardous Materials
reports is available in three parts via ftp:

        URL: file://gandalf.umcs.maine.edu/pub/hazmat/hazmat_1
        URL: file://gandalf.umcs.maine.edu/pub/hazmat/hazmat_2
        URL: file://gandalf.umcs.maine.edu/pub/hazmat/hazmat_3

E. TELNET:

1) telnet://romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu 3000

University of Illinois Division of Environmental Health and Safety
BBS. This is a large collection of Material Safety Data sheets (over
86,000) in database form directly accessible through this BBS.
MSDS's are in English and  French, as supplied by contributors.  They
contain basic information on the properties and potential hazards of
chemical products, how to use them safely, and most importantly, what
to do if there is an emergency.

VI.  OZONE LAYER DEPLETION

A. FTP:

1) 192.82.108.1

Logon as anonymous. /Pub directory/Econewyork5-92/ (A binary
document) This article is about a conference held by various
non-governmental environmentalgroups on the subject of energy
conservation and global warming. It has many useful facts and
interesting analysis.  Other articles on ozone are available here, as
well. This ftp site is moody_some days it's impossible to get in,
other days you can get in on the first try. There are several
documents explaining ozone depletion in layman's terms, including
articles written by Robert Parson, from the University  of Colorado,
that deal with the physical properties of ultraviolet  radiation and
ozone.

2) ftp//bloom-picayune.mit.edu/pub/usenet-by-group/sci.environment/
   Ozone_Depletion_FAQ-Part_I:  Introduction_to_the_Ozone_Layer

3) ftp//pencil.cs.missouri.edu/pub/student_envirolink
   /Greenhouse_Effect.txt
Articles from the ECO newsletter that reporters and other researchers
might find informative.

4) ftp:// igc.apc.org/pub/ECIX/tiempo

Tiempo is a bulletin dealing with global warming and the Third World.

5) ftp://plaza.aarnet.edu.au/micros/pc/
   garbo/pc/gif-astro/ozone93a.gif

Contains graphics of the ozone layer, including two GIF images of
ozone levels and chlorine monoxide over the northern and southern
hemispheres.  They were produced by the Microwave Limb Sounder aboard
the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite.

6) ftp//wiretap.spies.com/Gov/Treaties/ozone.85
        ftp//wiretap.spies.com/Gov/Treaties/ozone.90

United Nations Treaties. Files containing the United Nations treaties
on ozone layer protection: Vienna Convention for the Protection of
the Ozone Layer (1985) and The Montreal Amendment, London (1990).

B. OZONE-LAYER FAQ (Frequently asked questions)

**There are four helpful, but rather scientific Frequently Asked
Question lists here on ozone depletion.  Part I deals with basic
ozone layer science, and serves as an introduction to the remaining
parts which are more specialized. Part II deals with sources of
stratospheric chlorine and bromine; Part III with the Antarctic Ozone
Hole; and Part IV with the properties and effects of ultraviolet
radiation. The latter parts are mostly independent of each other, but
they all refer back to Part I.  They may be obtained by sending the
one or more of the following messages to: [email-masked]:

send usenet/news.answers/ozone-depletion/intro
send usenet/news.answers/ozone-depletion/stratcl
send usenet/news.answers/ozone-depletion/antarctic
send usenet/news.answers/ozone-depletion/uv

Leave the subject line blank.
If you want to find out more about the mail server, send a message to
it containing the word "help".

C. NEWSGROUPS:

1) sci.geo.meteorology

 Frequently has posts on ozone.

D. TELNET:

1) telnet://psupen.psu.edu
login:  your two-letter state code
keyword search: ozone layer

PENPages

VII.  RECYCLING

A. GOPHERS:

1) gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/ EcoGopher at
Univ. of Virginia/ The University of Virginia Environmental Program/
Resource Recovery and Recycling Program

This path through the U.N. gopher leads to articles about the
recycling projects at the University of Virginia.

2) gopher:// gopher.tamu.edu

The Texas A&M University gopher has a section on recycling with
nontechnical, consumer-oriented information.

Browse information by subject
Recycling
Aggies for a Clean Tomorrow

3) gopher:// Envirolink.org/Recycling/Advantage Glass!

Everything you ever wanted to know about glass and plastic recycling:

Chapter II:     Recycling:  Glass vs. Plastics  27
Chapter III:    The Production Cycles for Glass and Plastic
                Containers 55
Chapter IV:     Emissions, Discharges and Wastes Associated with the
                Production of Glass and Plastic Containers   74
Chapter V:      Chemical Accidents Associated with Packaging Products
                105
Chapter VI:     Glass and Plastic Containers:  Energy Consumption 119
Chapter VII:    The Impact of Containers on Marine Environment 130

B. LISTSERV:

1) Listserv @UMAB.UMB.EDU.

SUBSCRIBE RECYCLE NAME.

Issues of recycling on college campuses. At the time we subscribed,
it was aboutused carpeting, but the topics were changing and there
was ample discussion.

C. TELNET:

1) telnet:// psupen.psu.edu

login: your two-letter state code
PENPages
Keyword search on recycling

VIII.  WATER POLLUTION

A. GOPHER:

1) gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/ EcoGopher at
Univ. of Virginia/Education/The EcoGopher Environmental/
WaterQuality/Publications

This U.N. gopher path takes several seconds to access, but it is
worth it. There are articles about septic systems, water quality,
carbon filters, water quality education, bacterialcontaminants,
bottled water, conservation, fluorides, pesticides, nitrates, etc.
There is also a folder called Legislation (instead of Publications)
with current water legislation.

2) gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/ EcoGopher
at Univ. of Virginia/Education/The EcoGopher Environmental/US Dept.
ofEnergy,...,Environmental Guide.

This has the Actual Clean Water Act and articles of analysis.

3) gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/Other
Gopher & Information Servers/North America/USA/

Here you have a list of all 50 states clean water regulations. The
most useful for the Mid-Atlantic is /Washington D.C./ Once in there,
the /AIR WATER LAND/ folder contains a huge  document called Water
Services Overview. There are also other water-pollution related
documents here.

4) gopher://uwin.c-wr.siu.edu

Universities Water Information Network  (UWIN) (in development)

Operating under the auspices of the Universities Council on Water
Resources (UCOWR) this gopher site features water resources
publications educational information. The citation databases are
excellent for researchers and educators.

B. E-MAIL:

1) e-mail://Julian Keniry ([email-masked])
Environmental Audit '90-Energy and Water Conservation (chart)

Forty-page discussion with charts to raise campus consciousness
regarding water usage.  It's reasonably concise, fairly interesting
and has  good statistics.

To order: e-mail to [email-masked]
Title: Water Quality and Forestry

C. FTP:

1) ftp:// nic.cic.net /pub/great-lakes/gopher/GroundWaterStrategy.txt

There are a number of relevant documents in the /gopher/ directory.
This document is relevant for environmentalists, journalists,
researcher and educators.

2) ftp:// sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/political-science/
Community_Idea_Net/Cleaning-Up-Groundwater-Contamination

There are several documents on groundwater quality at this site.

D. TELNET/GOPHER:

1) telnet:// hermes.ecn.purdue.edu
login:  cerf
password: purdue

or

2) gopher:// hermes.ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue Cooperative Extention Gopher

Environment

Water Quality

Water Quality Database

Citations are available from each Extension Service in the Land Grant
System.  In addition, more than 350 complete documents are available
for recovery online.  That number is expected to reach 1,000 by the
end of 1994.

IX.  BIBLIOGRAPHY

1) Gaffin, Adam.  "Big Dummy's Guide to the Internet."

     ftp> ftp.eff.org /pub/EFF/papers/big-dummys-guide.txt

2) Krol, Ed.  "The Whole Internet."
    O'Reilly & Associates: Sebastopol, CA, 1992.

3) LaQuey, Tracy.  "The Internet Companion."
    Addison-Wesley: Reading, Mass., 1993.

4) Nickerson, Gord.  "Environment Resources."
    ftp> hydra.uwo.ca/libsoft/environ.wfw

5) Smith, Una.  "A Biologist's Guide to the Internet."
     ftp> rtfm.mit.edu /pub/usenet/news.answers/biology/guide

6) Wendling/Christiansen.  "Guide to Online Resources for the Conservationist"
     ftp> nic.sura.net /pub/nic/conservation-guide.11-93

7) Yanoff, Scott.  "Special Internet Connections."
     ftp> csdu.csd.uwm.edu /pub/inet.services.txt

8) Carol Briggs-Erickson ([email-masked])
     and Toni Murphy ([email-masked])
They have produced a fantastic guide called "A Guide to Environmental
Resources on the Internet".  The complete guide is available in the
following forms:

a) anonymous FTP:
     host: una.hh.lib.umich.edu
        path: /inetdirsstacks
        file: environment:murphybriggs

b) Gopher:  North America/USA/
    Michigan/ Clearinghouse for Subject-Oriented...
                      All Guides
                URL for WWW/Mosaic:

                //una.hh.lib.umich.edu/00/inetdirsstacks/environment
                murphybriggs