Subject: RESOURCE: Environmental News Resources (1 of 2)
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Andrew Hegyes)
Date: 17 Jun 1994 13:06:21 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 1994 11:10:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: Gleason Sackman <[email-masked]>
To: net-happenings <[email-masked]>
Subject: MISC> Environmental News Resources (1 of 2) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date:         Wed, 15 Jun 1994 10:50:00 EDT
From: chris <[email-masked]>
Subject:      Environmental News Resources
To: Multiple recipients of list CARR-L <[email-masked]>

   Friends -- This is especially for Tracy Barnett, who requested
resources on the environment, but perhaps other CARR-Lers will be
interested. RTK Net is probably the best source of information for the
particular question Tracy asked; its address is below.

   This is the final version of this section of our journalism students'
project on using the net during news gathering. Those of you who still
have the draft version around, please delete it and substitute this one.

   copyright 1994 Christopher Simpson. Permission granted for reproduction
by non-profit, educational institutions; all other rights reserved.
Any other reproduction must have advance written permission. Contact
[email-masked] for information or to report copyright violations.
This notice must accompany any reproduction of this guide.

----------------------------Original message----------------------------

                COVERING THE ENVIRONMENT ELECTRONICALLY:

        A REPORTER'S GUIDE TO COMPUTER-BASED INFORMATION RESOURCES

            (With special emphasis on the Mid-Atlantic Region)

             **Compiled by Reid Swanson and Suzanne Yeagley**
                  American University School of Communication

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I.  Introduction

II.  General Resources

III.  Air Pollution

IV.  Energy Conservation/Alternate Energy

V.  Ground Pollution/Hazardous Waste

VI.  Ozone Depletion

VII.  Recycling

VIII.  Water Pollution

IX.  Bibliography

I.  Introduction

        This project was executed as part of a Computer Assisted
Reporting class at The American University in  Spring of 1994. The
listings that follow have been compiled to assist reporters who cover
the environment. And though the  title, at least, indicates that the
guide was tailored specifically for a reporter covering the
Mid-Atlantic region, it still has practical applications for
journalists in other parts of the country as well. This compilation
borrows from many pre-existing resource lists.  Please see the end of
this document for a bibliographic listing of these other resource
guides.

@ Copyright notice. May 1994. Portions of this guide may be
redistributed for non-profit, non-commericial use only. All
other intended uses must first be cleared wiith professor Chris
Simpson at American University. e-mail: [email-masked]

II.  GENERAL RESOURCES

A. NEWSGROUPS:

1) clari.tw.environment  The best source you can imagine. It has
up-to-date articles on practically any environmental issue that could
possibly  interest a reporter.

2) sci.environment  This is a discussion group related to the science
of studying the environment.  For example, FAQ's (Frequently Asked
Questions) are posted to this newsgroup several times a month.  This
is a good place to ask and find answers to environment related
questions.

3) sci.bio.ecology  This is a very technical newsgroup devoted  to
the topic of ecology and the ecosystem.  If technical information is
desired, this is a source that should not be overlooked.

4) talk.environment  This is a good source for discussion of the
environment and environmental policy. But beware: there are certain
people who ramble on thisnewsgroup and much of the information is
flaming.  This may be a good place topost questions about the
environment and public policy.

5) clari.local.maryland Topics posted here include everything from
sports to business.  However there are articles from time-to-time
that deal with current environmental issues.

6) clari.local.virginia+dc  Same as above, but deals with Virginia
and the District.

**** Note: These clari. sites exist for states throughout the
Mid-Atlantic region: Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, New England,
and Ohio.

B. LEXIS/NEXIS:

***If you have access to Lexis/Nexis, it is a valuable informational
source. Much of the factual information you'd want about the
environment can be found here. Choose the environmental library to
search for your topic of interest.  Some examples of the topics
offered in the various libraries include:  environmental
publications, federal and state legislative and judicial materials,
hot topics with the environment, bill tracking, and site-specific
information from Vista Environmental Information, Inc.

C. GOPHER:

1) gopher:// gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information

This is the UN's gopher source. The sources here are almost
immeasurable. Many of them will be referred to in the guide.  Even if
you do not know what you're looking for, this source can be both a
source of story ideas as well as a place to look up information.

2) gopher://envirolink.org/

        Login Name: Press RETURN

        Password: Press RETURN
The EnviroLink Network is the largest on-line environmental
information service on the planet, reaching more than 400,000 people
(this number grows daily) in 93 countries.  All services provided by
the EnviroLink Network are FREE to the user and are available for
anyone who wants to use them.They provide:

3) gopher:// gopher.utdallas.edu:70/11/subject/Environment

An Environmental collection at the University of Texas at Dallas on
this path: /Internet Information by subject/Environment/TRY IT ALL
The connection to this gopher often fails. But once in, for a good
place to find sources, try the: /Organizations Directory Nationwide/
path

4) gopher:// ecosys.drdr.virginia.edu/katie

EcoGopher offers access to information compiled by many environmental
agencies and organizations.  Use the "katie" function to conduct a
keyword search of all the text connnected to  EcoGopher. Journalists,
researchers, environmentalists and  teachers may find this gopher
invaluable. The one page gopher menu also lists several other good
resources.

5) gopher:// gopher.internet.com

The Federal Register can be searched here electronically by subject
(Environ, Energy, Agriculture) and by agency.

6) gopher:// stellate.health.ufl.edu

OSHA Document Citations can be searched here through the University
of Florida gopher.

7) gopher:// lternet.edu

LTER - (Long Term Ecological Research gopher)  Includes data sets,
conferences, bibliographies and meeting abstracts of particular
interest to researchers and environmental scientists.

8) gopher:// gopher.cic.net

CICNet gopher provides access to newsletters and EcoNet documents and
allows keyword searching of databases. Journalists, environmental
scientists, oceanographers and students would find this a valued
resource.

9) gopher:// info.umd.edu:901/11/info/Government/US/WhiteHouse/
PressRelease/Environment

Press releases, speeches and proclamations from the White House are
available according to subject at this location. The environment is a
subject of frequent mention here.

10) gopher:// comics.scs.unr.edu/Discipline Specific
Topics/EnvironmentalStudies Resources

The Environmental Studies Resources Index is a comprehensive listing
of  gopherable environmental resources.

D. ON-LINE SYSTEMS:

1) EnviroFreenet: a full environmental information service, in the
spirit of a Freenet system. On-line services include: mail, Usenet,
bulletin board messaging, real-timechat conferences, IRC, FTP,
Gopher, WAIS, and many more.  All advanced services require a
password and accounts will only be given to environmental activists.

***EnviroGopher:  The world's largest on-line environmental archive.

***EnviroLink:  environmental news and information service; to
subscribe, send mail  to: [email-masked].

***GreenOrg: announcements and discussions for the Green Movement
(worldwide);  to subscribe, send mail to:
[email-masked].

***EnviroFTP:  the same as EnviroGopher, but for those die-hard ftp
fans; anonymous ftp available at: envirolink.org. Here are some of
the files available:

a.  What's New on the EnviroGopher
b.  EnviroAction -- Environmental Actions You Can Take...
c.  EnviroInformation-- A Library of Environmental Information...
d.  EnviroIssues-- Environmental Issues from Around the World...
e.  EnviroPublications-- Journals, Newsletters, Publications, Etc....
f.  EnviroNetworks-- Other Environmental Computer Networks...
g.  EnviroOrgs-- Environmental Organizations On-Line...
h.  EnviroGovernment-- How You Can Influence the Governmental
    Process...
i.  The Internet and It's Services...
j.  LCV 1993 Environmental Scorecard.(Tells how all Congressmen have
    voted  on environmental issues)..

For more information, contact:

League of Conservation Voters              EcoNet
1707 L Street NW, Suite 550                18 deBoom St.
Washington, DC  20036                      San Francisco, CA  94107

(202) 785-8683                             (415) 442-0220
[email-masked]                      [email-masked]

The EnviroLink Network
4551 Forbes Avenue  -Third Floor
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 681-8300 > voice
(412) 681-6707 > fax
e-mail:  [email-masked]

(One of the League of Conservation Voters's primary objectives during
the 1994 election season is to circulate information about both the
voting records and the campaign promises of all candidates for the
U.S. Senate and House of Representatives.)

(**Telnet is good for communicating with other environmentalists.
        **Gopher is good for digging up information.)

3) gopher:// gopher.econet.apc.org

$$  EcoNet (tm)  is a member of a world-wide organization of
like-minded computer networks called the Association For Progressive
Communications (APC). APC aims to provide a global communications
consortium dedicated to the free and balanced flow of information.
APC's partner organizations serve people working toward goals that
include the prevention of warfare, elimination of militarism and
poverty, protection of the environment, human rights, social and
economic justice, participatory democracy, nonviolent conflict
resolution, and the promotion of sustainable development.

To subscribe, "telnet" to "igc.apc.org" from your terminal or have
your computer ring 1-800-777-9454 (N-8-1). Type "new" at the "login:"
prompt, then press<RETURN> at the "Password:" prompt, then follow the
step-by-step instructions.Have your credit card ready!

For more information, contact:

EcoNet
APC Networks

Institute for Global Communications
18 De Boom Street, San Francisco, CA  94107 USA
Tel: 415-442-0220

Fax: 415-546-1794

E-mail: [email-masked]

4) gopher:// gopher.ciesin.org:70/1

The Consortium for International Earth Science Information Network
(CIESIN, pronounced "season") was created to address environmental
data managementissues raised by the United States Congress, the White
House and the advisory arms of the federal policy community. CIESIN's
mission is to facilitate use, access to and understanding of
global-change information worldwide.

CIESIN  is a private, nonprofit corporation, headquartered in
Saginaw, Michigan. The consortium is open to academic, government,
public and private organizations interested in collecting,
integrating, improving access to, disseminating, and understanding
data on the physical and human dimensions of  global change.

        For more information about CIESIN contact:
        Consortium for International Earth Science Information
         Network
        2250 Pierce Road
        University Center, MI 48710 USA
        Phone:  517/797-2700
        Fax:    517/797-2622
        E-Mail: [email-masked]

E. LISTSERVS:

1) [email-masked]

Environmental studies list keeps subscribers' screens full with good
discussion.

2) ENVBEH-L@POLYVM

Environment and human behavior.  This mailer is moderately busy, and
it carries a lot of messages also posted to ENVST-L.

F. FTP:

1) ftp://192.82.108.1

Environmental news of all kinds_from the scientific to the
social/physical (things like "environmental psychology")_ resides at
this ftp site. It can best be described as "moody"_some days it's
impossible to get in; other days you can get in on the first try.
Aside from being tempermental, the files deserve a look.  If nothing
else, it will lead to other worthwhile sources.

2) ftp: //nic.cic.net/pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials

Many environmental newsletters and journals are available at this
anonymous ftp site. Included are:

*BEN (Botanical Electronic News)
*BioConservation News
*Biosphere (Newsgroup newsletter)
*CLEAN
*Climate/Ecosystem Dynamics
*Env-Link
*EnviroComputing News
*ERIN (Newsletters of the Australian Environmental Resources
Information Network) in PostScript format (maps and detailed drawings
included)
*LTER (Long-term Environmental Research) Data Management Bulletin
*Network News
*The Scientist
*SEACNET (Student Environmental Action Coalition)
*Sierra Club National News Report
*South Florida Environmental Reader
*University of Michigan Global Change Newsletter
*World Watch Institute Paper

G. TELNET:

1) The Institute for Global Communications(IGC) has an organization
called EcoNet that discusses issues of global warming, energy policy,
rainforest preservation, legislative activities, water quality,
toxics and environmental education. This was also referenced under
gopher.

For information, e-mail to [email-masked]. Information about
this service can also be found through ftp site 192.82.108.1/pub
directory/ peacenet brochure (binary). EcoNet charges subscribers
$15 to sign up plus $10 more per month. The fees are nominal, even
for a freelance reporter working on a tighter budget than a salaried
journalist working full-time at a newspaper. EcoNet does have free
services, but they are not as extensive as the proprietary ones.

2) telnet://epaibm.rtpnc.epa.gov

select Public Access
select OLS
select 1
OLS database

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency  database has a wealth of
information including water pollution, hazardous wastes, and even a
chemical database. The OLS database contains book citations, federal
agency  technical reports, indices, audiovisual materials, maps,
journals and other documents. The National Catalog, Hazardous Waste,
and Lakes databases can be searched by single keyword. They allow you
to combine terms in a boolean type search. In addition, the EPA is
developing a gopher site covering topics such as agriculture, air,
water, land, and related environmental topics.

**** gopher:// futures.wic.epa.gov
        or
**** gopher:// North America/USA/Washington DC/USA
Environmental Protection Agency

3) Fedworld:

telnet://fedworld.gov

Fedworld, managed by the U.S. government's National Technical
Information Service, carries many environmental papers and reports
among its vast holdings. Most environmental issues are covered here
in the form of research documents and other files.

A sampling of the reports:

*Acid Rain
*Air Pollution
*Hazardous Material Data File
*Toxic Release Inventory on Tape
*Catalog of Environment Reports & Studies

The NTIS files also include research on environmental concerns such
as recycling, methane from solid wastes and acid mine leachate.

4) telnet://locis.loc.gov

(no login required) Federal Legislation via Library of Congress

The Library of Congress Information System contains every piece of
federal legislation introduced in Congress since 1973.  Information
includes summaries and status of legislation.  Searchable by subject
(legislative), member's name, key words, bill number, public law
number, committee name.  The current file is updated daily. This
database has limited hours.

5) PENPages:

telnet://psupen.psu.edu

login:  your two-letter state code
keyword search: environment

There are many good documents on the environment here that would be
useful to teachers, researchers and environmentalists.

III. AIR POLLUTION

A. GOPHER:

1) gopher.undp.org/Environment Related Information/ EcoGopher at
Univ. of Virginia/Education/The EcoGopher Environmental/US Dept. of
Energy,...,Environmental Guide.

The UN gopher has several environment-related paths, including this
one, which leads to the text of the Clean Air Act and several
accompanying analysis articles.

B. LISTSERVS:

1) SAFETY@UVMVM

This group discusses every facet of environmental safety, including
the burning of chemical and solid wastes.

2) [email-masked]

This groups specializes in short-lived air pollutants. Activity on it
ranges from quiet to moderate.

C. Bulletin Boards:

1) EPA bulletin boards:  telnet://ttnbbs.rtpnc.epa.gov

Some available bulletin boards:

*CAAA           Clean Air Act Amendments
*EMTIC          Emission Measurement Technical Information Center
                (emission  test methods and testing information)
*AIRS           Air quality and emissions
*BLIS           Compilation of air permits from air pollution control
                agencies.
*NATIC          Information submitted by EPA, state and local
                agencies about air toxics programs
*COMPLI  Stationary source and asbestos compliance policy

D. FTP:

1) ftp:// nic.cic.net/pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials
alphabetic/e/env-link

There are many good documents in the "e" directory at this site
having to do with pollution and other environmental issues useful to
researchers.

        ftp:// nic.cic.net/pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials/alphabetic
                /e/env-link/india.pollution.Z

        ftp:// pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials/alphabetic
                /e/env-link/manila.pollution.Z

        ftp:// pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials/alphabetic
                /e/env-link/unocal.pollution.Z

2) ftp://unix.hensa.ac.uk/pub/statlib/datasets/pollution

The pollution datasets at this site may be of value to researchers,
environmental scientists and legislators.

3) ftp://cdiac.esd.ornl.gov/pub

This accesses the Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center which
provides information to journalists, researchers, policymakers, etc.
about atmospheric changes and climate change.

E. GOPHER:

1) Follow this gopher and path:

Envirolink.org/EnviroIssues/Issues From Around The World/Air & Water
Pollution/Incinerator - Newfoundland, and also Toxic Air Emissions

IV.  ENERGY CONSERVATION/ALTERNATIVE ENERGY

A. DATABASES

1) COGIS. Comprehensive Oil and Gas Information Source contains up to
ten years of oil and gas data collected by the Energy Information
Administration. For information on subscribing, call EIA's National
Energy Information Center:
(202) 586-8800.

2) NUDOCS.  Nuclear Database System.  This is a "must have" if
interested in nuclear energy issues.  Contains inspection reports,
violation notices, Congressional correspondence, and issues of health
and radiation.  The cost is free because the connecting call is over
a  toll-free number.  But in order to connect, you must obtain a
password from:

Gerald F. Cranford
Office of Information and Resource Management
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission
MNBB 6219
Washington, D.C.  20555.

3) TRANSNET.  Contains shipment and accident reports for nuclear
waste and material from 1971 to present.  Valuable resource for
journalists who works in one of the states that has been tapped to
build a low-level radioacitve waste dump. TRANSNET is free but you
pay for the phone connection if call is long-distance. Must obtain a
password from Jonathan W. Cashwell, Division 6321, Sandia National
Laboratories, P.O. box 5800, Albuquerque, NM  87185.

B. GOPHER:

1) Envirolink.org/Energy Issues/Education Center

This source gives information on  a D.C. museum for renewable
resources. There are many  articles here about energy issues. Search
for your interest.

2) gopher://romana.crystal.pnl.gov

Environmental Safety and Health Information Center (ESHIC)  is a
central repository for the Department of Energy's  Tiger Team
Assessment documents,plans, and assessments.  It includes DOE
documents concerning compliance,regulations, policy, training, and
long-term planning.

C. ELECTRONIC NEWSLETTERS:

1) Wind Energy Weekly
For a free online subscription, e-mail Tom Gray (Internet/Bitnet:
[email-masked])  (EcoNet/PeaceNet:tgray@igc)
(UUCP:uunet!cdp!tgray).

It also available by anonymous ftp:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/academic/environment/alternate-energy
/miscellaneous/wind-energy-weekly

2) CREST (Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology)
ftp:// ftp.digex.net/pub/crest

This is an emerging educational resource center that provides
services focusing on renewable energy, energy efficiency, the
environment, and sustainable development. The gopher and www servers
are under development

3) ftp:// nic.cic.net/pub/nircomm/gopher/e-serials
/alphabetic/greendisk/information.ZGREENDISK

(Introductory issue of environmental journal on computer diskette,
subscription    costs $35.00/year, disk envelopes and labels made of
recycled materials)

It's worth the cost, if you're buying environmental journals, to end
the guilt of killing trees. It's relevant for researchers,
journalists, and general public.

E. LISTSERVS:

1) [email-masked]

This alternative energy discussion group provides a forum for
discussing the current state of the art and future directions of
alternative energy sources that are renewable or sustainable.

2) [email-masked]

Hydriogen is discussed here as a source of energy. The discussion can
become lively, but in a way that would appeal mainly to scientists.