Subject: Job Announcement MWSAWG
From: Michelle Thom <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Jun 94 05:31 PDT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

From: Michelle Thom <mthom>

Sender: "MarkLSP" <[email-masked]>
Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 13:18:04 EDT
Subject: position annoucement
Status: R

POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT:

Media and Public Information Coordinator for 1995 Farm Bill
Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group

Application Deadline:  June 28, 1994

The Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group and Sustainable Agriculture
Coalition seek a full-time employee to serve as spokesperson in Washington,
D.C. and to coordinate the national, state, and local media and public
information activities of a regional network of organizations working for
1995 Farm Bill Policy that supports sustainable agriculture.  

Organization Description - The Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
(MSAWG) was formed in 1988 to give organizations concerned about sustainable
agriculture a more powerful voice on federal policy issues.  MSAWG is a
network of farm, conservation, food, and rural advocacy groups from the
Midwest.  MSAWG works primarily in four broad policy areas -- farm programs
and trade, conservation and the environment, agricultural research and
extension, and marketing and rural development.  MSAWG relies on
participating organizations to carry out much of its work.  The Sustainable
Agriculture Coalition (SAC) is the lobbying subgroup of MSAWG and has a
policy representative and policy analyst in Washington, D.C.

Job Description - In conjunction with SAC's Media Committee, develop and
implement a media strategy and work plan designed to advance MSAWG's policy
priorities for the 1995 Farm Bill, increase regional and national exposure of
MSAWG's policy positions and participating organizations, and complement
priorities and strategies for the national sustainable agriculture agenda.
 The Public Information Coordinator will:

- Coordinate efforts by member groups and individuals to publicize MSAWG
policy options   and positions and shape the Farm Bill debate through ample
coverage in major media outlets   in key states and congressional districts.

- Take responsibility for media and publicity work before, during and after
MSAWG events and actions in Washington, DC, such as a fly-in planned for
winter 1994, and press/media   interviews with key sustainable ag leaders
visiting Washington.

- Serve as SAC's public spokesperson, conveying on-the-spot commentary and
policy positions to media representatives at congressional hearings, press
conferences, and other public events.

- Cultivate positive rapport with key national reporters and editors in
Washington.

- Write and distribute news releases, guest editorials, letters to the
editor, magazine articles, etc.

- Assist SAC's Washington representative and policy analyst in writing,
editing, and preparing policy position papers, congressional testimony and
other publications, brochures, and  promotional materials.

- Assist MSAWG member groups with their media efforts, including advice on
news release writing, developing media lists, strategies, and protocols.

- Maintain current nationwide media mailing lists.

Terms of Employment - This is a full-time position that will operate out of
MSAWG's Washington, DC office, and will continue at least through 1995.
 Starting salary range is $32,000 to $34,000, plus excellent benefits.  This
position is funded by foundation grants to a SAC member group, the Land
Stewardship Project (LSP).  The information coordinator will formally be an
employee of LSP.

Qualifications - Applicants should have working knowledge of sustainable
agriculture and federal agriculture policy, strong experience in working with
the media, strong interpersonal communications skills, solid writing skills,
commitment to social change, and be highly self-motivated.  Journalism or
P.R. experience is preferred.

Send resume, references, and five writing samples to Mark Schultz, Land
Stewardship Project, 3724 12th Ave. So, Minneapolis, MN  55407 by June 28,
1994.