Subject: NEWS: Sustainable Ag Week - 6/17/94 (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Matthew Lehman)
Date: 21 Jun 1994 01:08:36 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Sustainable Agriculture Week
Produced by the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy
June 17, 1994
Volume 3, Number 12
_____________________________________________
HEADLINES
_____________________________________________
- BUDGETARY CONCERNS MAY MEAN END TO CRP
- SOME THINK THERE WILL BE NO NEW FUNDING FOR SUSTAINABLE 
AG IN 1995
- GROUP TARGETS AG RUNOFF
- IOWA FARMERS' OPINIONS ON LARGE HOG LOTS DIFFER
- NOSB TO DEBATE SYNTHETICS IN OCTOBER
- U.S. CHEMICAL COMPANIES FARE WELL IN 1993
- EFFECTS OF CARBOFURAN DISPUTED
- PROJECT SEEKS TO INCLUDE WATER QUALITY
- AUSTRALIAN INITIATIVE LINKS FARMERS, ENVIRONMENTALISTS
- WARNING ISSUED OVER USE OF PESTICIDES, EXPORT CROPS IN 
LATIN AMERICA
- GREEN REVOLUTIONARY SAYS AFRICA NEEDS CHEMICAL 
FERTILIZERS
_____________________________________________
NEWS SUMMARIES
_____________________________________________
BUDGETARY CONCERNS MAY MEAN END TO CRP

A recent article in FEEDSTUFFS makes the claim that budgetary 
pressures may force an end to the popular Conservation Reserve 
Program (CRP), which pays farmers to keep highly erodible land out 
of production.  Next year, an estimated 2.04 million acres of CRP 
contracts are set to expire followed by an additional 13.67 million in 
1996, 8.76 million acres in 1997, 5.36 million acres in 1998 and 4.1 
million acres in 1999.  The cost of the program, farm policy changes 
and definitions of eligible land are likely to shape the upcoming 
debate over extending the CRP.  

"Traditional agricultural groups are likely to want a future program 
that emphasizes incentive" for participation, said Jeffrey Zinn of the 
Congressional Research Service, which authored a recent report on 
the program.  Zinn said he expects much of the debate which took 
place around CRP and the 1985 Farm Bill to take place again within 
the context of the 1995 Farm Bill.  He described CRP as the "carrot" 
portion of conservation programs as it provided positive incentives 
for participation.  The "stick" part became conservation compliance 
plans for farmers who plant on vulnerable acreage.  

Overall, CRP has reduced erosion by 700 million tons per year since it 
began after the 1985 Farm Bill.   States with the most enrolled acres 
are Texas, North Dakota, Kansas and Montana.  A 1993 survey 
showed only about 13% of enrolled acreage would remain out of 
production if CRP were not continued.  The article says if current 
rates were extended, 76% of enrollees would keep their land out of 
production.  However, extending current rates is unlikely given 
budget considerations.

Source:  Gordon S. Carlson, "Budget Pressure to Force Congress to 
Dismantle Popular CRP," FEEDSTUFFS, June 13, 1994.

SOME THINK THERE WILL BE NO NEW FUNDING FOR SUSTAINABLE 
AG IN 1995

Some legislators are reaching the conclusion that there will be no 
new funding for sustainable agriculture programs in the 1995 Farm 
Bill.  The reason, they say, is a budget-cutting atmosphere in 
Washington.  "We're going to be confined.  I don't think there's going 
to be any new dollars," said Representative Tom Ewing (R-IL).  
Minnesota Representative Tim Penny (D-MN), know for his fiscal 
conservatism, agreed saying he expected the trend of agriculture 
budget-cutting to continue.  "If the budget deficit rises, it will be 
unavoidable that agriculture will be expected to shoulder some of the 
cuts," he said.  Representative Richard Durbin (D-IL) recommended 
that legislators "face reality" when they write the 1995 Farm Bill.

Others see the problem as not necessarily budget-related but as the 
consequence of a loss of influence by House and Senate Agriculture 
Committees.  For example, legislation for reauthorizing the Clean 
Water Act (CWA), the Safe Drinking Water Act, the Endangered 
Species Act (ESA) and the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and 
Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) has been or will be drafted by 
environmental committees.  "My feeling is that the 1995 Farm Bill 
will be the heart of a response to a number of other pieces of 
legislation," said Paul Johnson of the Soil Conservation Service (SCS).  
Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA) said legislation such as the CWA will 
have a significant impact on agriculture.  He called the act "a new 
beast ... with serious ramifications for the viability of American 
agriculture."  He also called nonpoint source pollution a "weather-
related problem" that cannot be blamed solely on agriculture.  Loni 
Kemp of the Midwest Sustainable Agriculture Working Group said 
the CWA and the 1995 Farm Bill are integrated policies.  The CWA 
will direct states to deal with run-off while the Farm Bill will handle 
agriculture programs for stemming run-off pollution.  Kemp said 
commodity programs need to be re-directed toward environmental 
stewardship and research and extension funding should emphasize 
sustainable options.

Source:  Edward Felker, "1995 Farm Bill Debate ...," AGRI NEWS, June 
2, 1995; Jean Caspers-Simmet, "House, Senate Ag Panels Lose Power," 
AGRI NEWS, June 2, 1994; "New Call to Reduce Farm Runoff," Farming 
Today, UPI, June 9, 1994.

GROUP TARGETS AG RUNOFF

A coalition of fishing interests on the West coast recently called for 
tougher provisions in the CWA, including a crackdown on nonpoint 
source pollution, due to the dwindling salmon populations in the 
Pacific Northwest.  The Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's [sic] 
Association (PCFFA) criticized the current act as having done little to 
save fish and wildlife populations from polluted runoff.  "The Clean 
Water Act is essential to the recovery of salmon and steelhead in 
Oregon, California, Idaho and Washington," said Zeke Grader of the 
PCFFA.

Source:  "New Call to Reduce Farm Runoff," Farming Today, UPI, June 
9, 1994.

IOWA FARMERS' OPINIONS ON LARGE HOG LOTS DIFFER

Iowa Governor Terry Branstad's Environmental Agriculture 
Committee has been holding hearings in an attempt to find solutions 
to some of the problems facing the state's hog producers.  The 
committee was set up under the governor's Livestock Revitalization 
Task Force to study how livestock operations have affected water 
and soil quality and community development. 

Opinions about the direction Iowa agriculture should take with 
regard to large hog operations is sharply divided.  At a recent 
hearing, one farmer accused the committee of "goose stepping to the 
drum beat of conglomerates."  Another producer and representative 
of the Iowa Pork Producers said he resented such a statement and 
praised the committee for trying to make sense of the diverse 
opinions they were being presented with.  "We're trying to do what 
is best for Iowa and for animal agriculture," he said.  Many called for 
stricter environmental regulation and local control while others said 
there was already too much regulation over the hog industry. One 
farmer suggested that producers who want to raise hogs should own 
enough land to spread the manure on.  Another farmer countered 
that this would exclude those with limited capital from participating 
in hog production.  The main theme to emerge from the meeting is 
that it will be very difficult to find a "one-size-fits-all" proposal to 
help Iowa hog farmers.    The committee expects to give the governor 
their recommendations this fall. 

A recent survey by Iowa State University says that most farmers 
and their non-farming neighbors believe that progress is being made 
in watershed protection.  While both groups recognize attempts to 
protect groundwater supplies by farmers, farmers were more likely 
to believe they were making significant progress.  Steve Padgitt, ISU 
sociologist, said 95% of farmers surveyed thought they were doing 
better or much better at soil conservation than 10 years ago; only 
76% of non-farm residents concurred.  Likewise, 81% of farmers said 
water quality improvement efforts are better or much better while 
only 59% of their non-farm neighbors agreed.  Padgitt also said, 
ironically, "non-farm residents felt the general public has more 
responsibility for soil and water care than individual farmers."  He 
added, "Attitudes and perceptions of Iowa farmers and non-farm 
residents are positive, but as you might expect, the survey shows 
farmers are somewhat more likely to believe they are good stewards 
of the land than their non-farm counterparts."

In other state news, a study recently completed by the Illinois state 
departments of Energy and Natural Resources, Public Health and 
Agriculture and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency 
proposes improvements to state laws governing the use of pesticides.  
The plan would assign state townships a rating based on the level of 
aquifer sensitivity.  Areas with high ratings would be required to use 
fewer pesticides.  Agriculture Department Director Becky Doyle, said, 
"The plan was developed in response to the federal government's 
pesticides and groundwater strategy, which could prohibit future use 
of certain pesticides unless states have an approved plan in place."  
The Clinton plan, which calls for pesticide use reduction among other 
things, is not expected to make progress in Congress this session.

Source:  Jean Caspers-Simmet, "Iowa Hog Farmers Divided on Big 
Feedlots," AGRI NEWS, June 16, 1994; "Iowa Soil, Water Care 
Progressing:  Survey," IOWA FARMER TODAY, June 4, 1994; Michelle 
Groenke, "Midwest Farming Today," UPI, June 6, 1994; Email 
communication, June 12, 1994.

NOSB TO DEBATE SYNTHETICS IN OCTOBER

After meeting earlier this month, the National Organic Standards 
Board (NOSB) said it will decide on materials, including synthetics, to 
be added to the National List this fall.  Synthetics are currently 
allowed in organic production only if their chemical structure is 
unchanged, if no solvent is left in the end product and if the solvents 
are on the approved list.  The NOSB will develop recommendations 
for adding prohibited natural and synthetic substances to the 
National List.  The meeting will take place in California October 11-
16, 1994.   Products of biotechnology are considered synthetics 
under organic production regulations.

Source:  "National Organic Standards Board Full Board 
Recommendations," June 5, 1994; Robert Greene, "Federal Panel 
Winnowing Rules for 'Organic' Crops," AP, June 12, 1994.

U.S. CHEMICAL COMPANIES FARE WELL IN 1993

U.S.-based multinational chemical companies fared well in terms of 
dollars last year.  Three companies, Monsanto, American Cyanamid 
and DuPont, had the highest increases in sales on an international 
scale in 1993.  Monsanto's sales increased 17.4%, making it the fourth 
major chemical producer in the world.  The Swiss company Ciba-
Geigy came in first with sales of $2,790 million last year.  European 
companies Rhone-Poulenc, Schering and BASF all reported drops in 
sales, which they attributed to the contraction of the European 
market.  Recent consolidations between Hoechst and Schering and 
Cyanamid and Shell U.S. are expected to produce dramatic results for 
these companies in 1994.  

Source:  "U.S. Agrochem Companies Lead 1993 Sales Growth," 
PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICAN UPDATES SERVICE, 
June 3, 1994.

EFFECTS OF CARBOFURAN DISPUTED

In the U.S., the pesticide carbofuran, sold under the brand name 
Furadan, has been planted along with corn and sorghum for many 
years.  The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) allows liquid 
carbofuran to be used on alfalfa, corn, potatoes, wheat, soybean and 
oats.  However, the EPA recently issued a ruling that granular forms 
of carbofuran can no longer be used on corn and sorghum because of 
its toxic effects on birds.  Carbofuran granules attract birds, who 
utilize sand and grit to digest their food.  

Mike Weiss, a North Dakota State University researcher said 
carbofuran has killed birds in the U.S. Corn Belt but the situation is 
different in the Canola Belt.  He said carbofuran is widely used by 
canola producers in Canada and only two birds have been known to 
die in 20 years as a result.  Pierre Mineau of the Canadian Wildlife 
Service, which is considering restrictions on carbofuran, said that 
figure is incorrect and in one case, a farmer found dead birds 
covering 160 acres.  Linda Lyon of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 
said carbofuran is one of the most toxic pesticides in use.  Canadian 
canola growers say they need the pesticide carbofuran to combat 
infestations of the flea beetle.  

Sorghum growers won a victory recently when the EPA relaxed a ban 
on the use of the herbicide propazine on sorghum in Oklahoma and 
Colorado.  Exemptions are allowed on a state-by-state basis.  Texas 
and New Mexico growers have already received exemptions.  "We are 
very pleased that the EPA granted our request," said Kenneth Rose of 
the Oklahoma Grain Sorghum Producers.  A spokesperson for the EPA 
said the approval for Oklahoma and Colorado was delayed until 
adequate technical data was received and reviewed.  

Source:  Marilyn Wheeler, "Border Countries Debate Pesticide," 
AGWEEK, May 30, 1994.

PROJECT SEEKS TO INCLUDE WATER QUALITY

Last week, Sustainable Agriculture Week reported on the Anoka 
Sand Plains Project which seeks to protect groundwater quality in 
central Minnesota.  The 42 farmers involved are working with soil 
conservationists and researchers to identify ways they can reduce 
applications of pesticides, which can leach  and damage groundwater 
supplies.  The article reviewed failed to mention the involvement of 
the Minnesota Extension Service.  For more information on the 
project, contact Fred Bergsrud, Tel:  (612) 625-4756 or David Cooper, 
Tel:  (612) 625-2713.

Source:  Jim Walsh, "Soil-Friendly Farming Helps Make Water Safer," 
MINNEAPOLIS STAR TRIBUNE, June 1, 1994; Dean Herzfeld, Email 
communication, June 13, 1994.

AUSTRALIAN INITIATIVE LINKS FARMERS, ENVIRONMENTALISTS

An Australian initiative called Landcare is encouraging farmers to 
resolve some of the environmental problems they face.  Currently 
more than 1/3 of Australian farmers are involved in the project, 
according to Andrew Campbell, Landcare coordinator.  He told 
participants at the Sustainable Agriculture, Food and Environment 
alliance meeting in London that European farming methods adopted 
by Australians had led to many of the country's environmental 
problems.  The fragile soils were never accustomed to European 
techniques, he said, and the result has been salinity, soil destruction 
and erosion.  "Most farmers don't like to see their land like this -- 
they can't produce on it and don't want to live with it like this," said 
David Clark, a farmer participant.  

Landcare links farmers with environmentalists, educators and local 
citizens to promote an awareness of farming and the environment.  
"In the past five years we've dramatically changed 40 to 50 percent 
of the landscape in our area, but it will take 30 years to solve the big 
problems," said Clark.  He added that the most important thing 
Landcare is accomplishing is that it's "making farmers 
environmentalists," Clark said.

Source:  Deborah Hargreaves, "'Green' Alliance Comes to Aid of 
Australia's Degraded Land," FINANCIAL TIMES, June 9, 1994.

WARNING ISSUED OVER USE OF PESTICIDES, EXPORT CROPS IN LATIN 
AMERICA

Agriculture experts in Latin America are warning that the emphasis 
on the growth of fruits and vegetables for export has lead to the 
neglect of staple foods, such as beans, grown for domestic 
consumption.  And in their flurry to grow produce which arrive in 
the U.S. in good condition, excessive use of chemicals has become 
common in the Latin American agriculture industry.  Francisco 
Morales of the International Centre for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) in 
Colombia said that this has opened the way for the introduction of 
new plant pests.  More and more new pests and diseases are making 
an appearance, causing new damage to crops.  

In 1980, Chile became the first Latin American country to export as 
many beans as it grew for local production.  Chile then expended to 
fruit and vegetable production for export.  "As a result, bean 
production in Chile is increasingly affected by epidemics of new 
viruses or strains of viruses, such as bean yellow mosaic virus and 
alfalfa mosaic virus," said Morales.  A similar problem faced Brazil 
when it began to grow soybeans alongside its traditional bean crops 
in 1970.  The golden mosaic virus was introduced, adversely 
affecting the growth of crops for local consumption.  "The expansion 
of vegetable crops in these countries has resulted in the appearance 
of new virus problems," said Morales.

As a result of the introduction of new pests, farmers have been 
forced to use "incredible" amounts of pesticides, many of which are 
not approved for use on a particular crop.  In addition, many Latin 
American farmers lack the knowledge and technical expertise 
needed to apply pesticides safely.  Morales said incorrect application 
times, often going right up to harvest, and over-use frequently occur.  
"Dependence on chemical pesticides has become almost total," he 
said.  

Another problem is that governments and universities are more 
interested in researching export crops than crops for local 
consumption.  "Governments are more interested in how they use 
land for export crops and scientists are being switched to work on 
these crops," said plant pathologist Pastor Corrales. 

Source:  John Madeley, "Latin American's Vegetable Export Drive 
Runs Into Trouble," FINANCIAL TIMES, June 15, 1994.

GREEN REVOLUTIONARY SAYS AFRICA NEEDS CHEMICAL FERTILIZERS

Norman Borlaug, 1970 Nobel Peace prize winner for his role in 
India's so-called green revolution, told a recent meeting of the 
Overseas Development Institute that African countries will have to 
begin using excessive amounts of chemical fertilizers if it is ever 
going to solve its food problems.  "Some people say that Africa's food 
problems can be solved without the application of chemical 
fertilizers," he said.  "They're dreaming.  It's not possible."

His said encouraging farmers to exercise traditional agriculture 
practices fails to take into account the rapid population growth 
occurring on the continent.  The population of Africa is expected to 
double over the next 22 years, he said, and traditional farming 
cannot cope with such growth.  He used China as an example, which 
transformed its cereal production in five years through the use of 
chemical fertilizers.  These fertilizers are expensive for African 
farmers, Borlaug acknowledged, and he called on the industrialized 
world to provide farmers with access to chemical fertilizers.

Source:  Deborah Hargreaves, "'Chemicals Vital for African 
Agriculture,'" FINANCIAL TIMES, June 10, 1994.
_____________________________________________
RESOURCES
_____________________________________________
PLAIN MAGAZINE is a publication of the Center for Plain Living in 
Burton, OH.  The most recent issue focuses on agriculture.  
Contributors include Wes Jackson, Wendell Berry and Amish farmer 
David Kline.  Subscriptions cost $18.00/year.  For more information, 
contact CPL, 14595 Baird Street, Burton, OH 44021.

IN GOOD TILTH is a publication of Oregon Tilth.  The organization 
works to educate consumers, farmers, gardeners and politicians 
about the benefits of organic production.  Articles examine organic 
techniques and biological diversity.  Subscriptions are $15.00/year.  
For more information, contact Oregon Tilth, P.O. Box 3588, Portland, 
OR 97208, Tel:  (503) 285-8279, Fax:  (503) 289-4179.
_____________________________________________
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
_____________________________________________
LAKE SUPERIOR ALLIANCE MEETING, June 17-19, 1994, Bayfield, WI.  
FFI, contact:  Jim Bradley, FOCUS, Tel:  (906) 884-4274 or Andrew 
Savagian, Sierra Club, Tel:  (608) 257-4994.

INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ECOSYSTEM HEALTH AND 
MEDICINE:  NEW GOALS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT, June 
19-23, 1994, Ottawa, Ontario.  FFI, contact:  Remo Petrongolo, Office 
of Continuing Education, 159 Johnston Hall, University of Guelph, 
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1, Canada, Tel:  (519) 824-4120, Fax:  (519) 
767-0758.

TALK BY ALAN SAVORY, founder of Holistic Resource Management 
center, June 24, 1994, LaCrescent, MN.  FFI, contact Land 
Stewardship Project, Tel:  (507) 523-2204.

WOMEN, FOOD AND AGRICULTURE, June 24-26, 1994, Loveland, OH.  
FFI, contact:  Audrey Sorrento, 932 OUBannonville Road, Loveland, OH 
45140, Tel:  (513) 683-2340.

GLOBAL FORUM U94:  CITIES AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, June 
24-July 3, 1993, Manchester, England.  FFI, contact:  Global Forum 
U94, Eastgate, Castle Street, Castlefield, Manchester M3 4LZ, England, 
Tel:  (44) 061 234-3741, Fax:  (44) 061 234-3743.

INTRODUCTION TO SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL SYSTEMS, June 27-
August 18, 1994, Davis, CA.  FFI, contact:  Mark Van Horn, Student 
Experimental Farm, Department of Agronomy, University of 
California, Davis, CA 95616, Tel:  (916) 752-7645.

BASICS OF FARMING AND MARKETING VEGETABLES, farm tour, June 
29, 1994, Delano, MN.  FFI, contact:  Tel:  (612) 972-2052.
_____________________________________________
Produced by:  Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture and Trade 
Policy, 1313 5th Street SE Suite 303, Minneapolis, MN 55414, Tel:  
(612) 379-5980  Fax:  (612) 379-5982  EMail:  [email-masked] or 
[email-masked].  In addition to this news bulletin, the 
Institute publishes a variety of news bulletins on agriculture, the 
environment and international trade.  All bulletins may be 
reproduced and distributed freely without prior permission as long 
as proper attribution is included.  A copy of any publication in which 
an IATP bulletin is cited would be appreciated.