Subject: PANUPS: New Analysis of Non-Ag Use
From: [email-masked] (EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk)
Date: 22 Jun 1994 01:25:38 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

From: EcoNet Pesticide Issue Desk <pestdesk>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

New Analysis of Nonagricultural Pesticide Use Released 

June 21, 1994

The California Policy Seminar (CPS), a joint program of the 
University of California and California state government, has 
recently released "Pesticides in the Home and Community: 
Health Risks and Policy Alternatives" targeting the extensive 
use of pesticides in and around homes, workplaces and public 
areas. In response to the growing concern around issues of 
urban exposure, the authors analyze use patterns, risks and 
policy alternatives related to nonagricultural pesticides. 

Public policy concerning pesticides and health risks has 
traditionally focused on agricultural use and food residues, 
with little emphasis on urban exposure. CPS recognized the 
need to focus attention on the hazards of pesticide use in 
homes and communities where hundreds of millions of pounds 
are applied annually. Approximately 70 million pounds of 
consumer pesticides were sold nationally in 1991, accounting 
for an estimated 6% of that year's total pesticide use. In 
California alone, tens of millions of pounds of toxic 
chemicals are applied each year in and around homes, 
workplaces, schools, and public spaces. Nearly 6,000 
nonagricultural pesticide poisonings were reported in 
California between 1984-1990, a figure similar to the number 
of known cases among farmworkers. The authors explain that 
pesticide use in the home and community can be more intensive 
than agricultural use and may create an environment for 
multiple and cumulative exposure to toxic chemicals, for 
which there is insignificant data regarding long-term health 
effects.  

The report's findings include:  

-- Approximately nine million pounds of pesticides are used 
each year to control structural pests in California. Between 
1984 and 1990, 849 documented pesticide illnesses were 
associated with structural fumigation in the state. Methyl 
bromide and sulfuryl flouride are responsible for 60% of the 
total fumigants applied during 1990 and 1991. Methyl bromide, 
which is slowly being phased out because it is a potent ozone 
destroyer, is highly toxic to humans and has been determined 
to cause birth defects in laboratory animals.

-- CPS reports that commercial landscape maintenance in 
California accounts for 1.5 million pounds of pesticides used 
each year. Despite the lower acute toxicity of landscape 
pesticides as compared to structural pesticides, 224 of the 
reported pesticide illnesses between 1984 and 1990 were 
associated with landscape maintenance. 

-- Consumer use may also pose significant risks.  The 
substances most frequently associated with adverse health 
effects include insecticidal foggers and other insecticides, 
disinfectant and cleaning products, and herbicides.  Most 
consumers are uninformed about the risks posed to themselves 
and their children when they use and store these products in 
and around the home. The San Francisco Regional Poison 
Control Center received over 4,000 calls relating to 
nonagricultural pesticide exposure in 1991 and 1992, of which 
956 resulted in documented health problems. 

The authors recommend an approach to controlling the hazards 
of urban exposure based on the principles of Integrated Pest 
Management (IPM). They emphasize the need to broaden the 
definition of IPM to include long-term sustainable methods of 
urban pest control.  "The role and responsibilities of the 
governmental agencies need to be reconceptualized from one of 
regulatory micromanagement to one of establishing targets for 
pesticide use reduction." The authors support the development 
and promotion of least-toxic alternatives as well as more 
substantial taxes based on chemical toxicity levels to 
encourage both commercial applicators and consumers "to get 
off the urban pesticide treadmill."

Sources: James C. Robinson, William S. Pease, David S. 
Albright, and Rachel A. Morello-Frosch, "Pesticides in the 
Home and Community: Health Risks and Policy Alternatives," 
California Policy Seminar, University of California, 1994; 
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Pesticide Industry 
Sales and Usage: 1990 and 1991 Market Estimates," 1992. 

Contact: California Policy Seminar, 2020 Milvia Street, Suite 
412, Berkeley, CA 94704; phone (510) 642-5514; fax (510) 642-
8793; email: [email-masked].

=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the 
Pesticide Action Network North America Regional Center 
(PANNA). PANNA is located at 116 New Montgomery Street, 
#810, San Francisco, CA 94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: 
(415) 541-9253. To receive a standard information packet 
about the Pesticide Action Network send a short e-mail 
message to [email-masked].
=============================================================