Subject: ANNOUNCE: Sustainable Rural Development & the 1995 Farm Bill (fwd)
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Hegyes)
Date: 28 Jun 1994 12:11:39 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 1994 10:17:26 EDT
From: Andy Bernat <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list RURALDEV <[email-masked]>
Subject: Sustainable Rural Development & the 1995 Farm Bill

�Note: This is being cross-listed.  I
apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.Ù

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is gearing up for the 1995 Farm
Bill.  As explained below, we would like input from stakeholders
regarding sustainable rural development and related issues.  We
are particularly interested in knowing if there are any
organizations out there that have articulated positions or
policies on sustainable rural development in the U.S. in the from
of white papers, resolutions, speeches, etc.  Also, are there any
organizations or individuals we should try to contact?   Please
let me know if you would be willing to comment on a draft before
July 15 and if the idea of a scoping session where a few people
would come to Washington to brainstorm would be useful.  I can
make no promises regarding who might be chosen to participate but
I would like to know who might be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Andy Bernat.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------

          USDA SUSTAINABLE RURAL DEVELOPMENT ISSUE GROUP

BACKGROUND
On June 10, 1994, Secretary of Agriculture Mike Espy kicked-off a
USDA Team approach to the 1995 Farm Bill indicating the effort
will be comprehensive and innovative.  Subgroups have been formed,
one of which focuses on Rural Development and Protection (RDP),
chaired by Under Secretary Bob Nash.  Nash has created teams to
work on 8 issues, one of which is Sustainable Rural Development.
Karl Stauber is overseeing the issue team process for Nash.

EXPECTED PRODUCT
The RDP issue teams are charged with drafting issue papers that
will include:
   - Review of the issue as it relates to the 1995 Farm Bill;
   - Recommendations for USDA positions on the issue;
   - Alternatives considered and rejected (if rejected, why);
   - Critique of effectiveness of current policies;
   - Expected results of recommended actions; and
   - Anticipated cost and sources of financing new proposals.

TIMELINE
The issue teams must prepare draft papers by July 12 for the Under
Secretary and Secretary to review.  After this, additional work
will be done to revise the papers and gather additional
stakeholder input via meetings, hearings, and other forums.

SECRETARY'S VISION
Secretary Espy has drafted a "New Visions of USDA's Rural
Development Programs" which guides the overall RDP effort.  The
draft report states:
   "The new vision of the Federal role in rural development should
   be to assist communities, based on inclusive development
   initiatives, to become more competitive in a world marketplace,
   through creating sustainable economic opportunities for all
   residents."

The report also states 3 priorities for Federal rural development
efforts:
(1) Reduction of long-term poverty in the approximately 500
   poorest rural counties in the United States;
(2) Increased viability of rural communities in the declining,
   sparsely settled regions, such as the Great Plains; and
(3) Assistance for those parts of rural America experiencing
   short-term difficulty from rapid structural change due to
   shifts in public policy, the international market place, and
   natural disasters.

CHALLENGE
The Sustainable Rural Development Issue Group has a dual
challenge:
   - Help shape the overall philosophy of the Rural Development
      agenda, if not the whole Farm Bill;
   - Translate the philosophy into some specific actions.

NEED YOUR HELP
Many groups and individuals are being contacted to:
   - Provide input;
   - Ask to review draft report; and
   - Possibly participate in proposed scoping session.  This would
      be in early August if it occurs.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me as soon
as possible (I will be out of the office Thursday and Friday).

+--------------------------------+-----------------------+
| G. Andrew Bernat, Jr.          º phone: (202) 219-0539 |
| Economic Research Service/USDA º fax:   (202) 219-0202 |
| 1301 New York Ave., NW  Rm 340 º                       |
| Washington, DC  20005-4788     º                       |
+--------------------------------+-----------------------+