Subject: Re: BT yet again
From: [email-masked] (Thomas Bjorkman)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 12:03:28 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <1738700042@cdp>, Michelle Thom <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I wrote something recently in the Sustainable Agriculture Week bulletin 
> about hornworms in a blender, mixing with water and using as a spray.  I 
> think it was the USDA working on it.  I'll try find the original source.  
> Don't recall it said anything about it being illegal.
> 
> Michelle Thom, Institute for Agriculture 

It is illegal because the formulation has not been registered with the EPA
and it is used with the intent to kill a pest.  You also could not get the
dose adjusted properly to get an application rate equivalent to on that has
been registered (not that that alone would make it legal).

Not that this has more to do with lawyers and regulators than science.  The
homogenized hormworm may work very well and is not likely to hurt any one. 
**This is NOT a recommendation**  The system does not seem set up to cope
with that **My opinion only**.   
-- 
Thomas Bjorkman    Dept. of Horticultural Sciences   Cornell University