Subject: "Taking Stock" provides info on livestock genetic resources
From: [email-masked] (Sam Brungardt)
Date: 1 Jul 1994 13:32:30 -0400
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC) announces the 
publication of "Taking Stock: The North American Livestock Census."

"Taking Stock" uses a national inventory of breeds to describe the 
status of livestock genetic diversity in the United States.  The book 
considers the impact of current agricultural trends on these genetic 
resources, describes the significance of livestock for sustainable 
agriculture and makes the case for livestock conservation.

"Taking Stock" reports on asses, cattle, goats, horses, sheep and 
swine, with information on all breeds within each species, graphs to 
illustrate genetic status and breed association addresses.  
Appendices describe the past extinctions of American breeds and 
present data on feral livestock populations.  (Poultry will be the 
subject of a 1994-1995 census.)

The report identifies 77 breeds as conservation priorities, about 30 
of which are unique to North America.  They include American Mammoth 
Jackstock, Milking Devon cattle, Fainting goats, Spanish Mustangs, 
Navajo-Churro sheep and Ossabaw Island swine.  Also of great 
importance are those globally endangered international breeds for 
which the North American population is a significant portion, such as 
Cotswold sheep, Red Poll cattle and Tamworth swine.

These domestic breeds have become rare due to agricultural 
industrialization and the decline of the diversified farm.  Yet 
because these breeds are divergent from modern industrial types, they
are well suited to today's sustainable, organic and low-input farms 
and represent significant genetic diversity for the future.

"Taking Stock: The North American Livestock Census" is available from 
the ALBC for $14.95, plus $2 postage to North America or $6 airmail 
to other countries.  To order, send a check or money order, payable 
in U.S. funds, to:  ALBC, P.O. Box 477, Pittsboro, NC 27312 USA.  Call
(919) 542-5704 or fax (919) 542-2460 to charge your order to 
Mastercard or Visa.  For more information, contact Don Bixby or 
Carolyn Christman at the ALBC.

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy is a nonprofit membership 
organization conserving genetic diversity by protecting endangered 
livestock and poultry breeds from extinction.  In addition to 
investigations of breed status and characteristics, ALBC operates a 
semen bank for rare breeds, provides technical support to breeders 
and associations and supports an extensive education program to 
expand public advocacy for livestock use and conservation.  The ALBC 
is the only livestock genetic conservation organization in the United 
States.