Subject: 5th Australian Tropical Pastures Conf. - Preliminary Notice
From: [email-masked] (Ian Staples)
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 1994 05:23:07 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture,alt.sustainable.agriculture,sci.bio.ecology,bionet.plants,bionet.agroforestry,bionet.biology.tropical,sci.misc,sci.research,alt.agriculture.misc,aus.general,qld.general

I am posting this "informational" notice on behalf of the organisers of
the 5th Australian Tropical Pasture Conference to be held on the Atherton
Tableland in north Queensland from 26-30 June 1995.  However, this is
being done at my suggestion, so any flames for inappropriate posting should
be directed at me and not at the conference organisers.

I suggest people genuinely interested in attending and, especially,
contributing to the conference contact the organisers at the address
given at the end of the notice, so that you may receive further details
from them as the programme consolidates.

Please note that Followup-To this posting is set to sci.agriculture.
Please also note that I do not know any more about this conference at
the moment than you will after you have read the notice below :-)

See you in NQ in '95?

Cheers,  Ian S.

========== Preliminary notice - 5th Aust. Trop. Past. Conf. 1995 =========

                         "PASTURES FOR PROSPERITY"
                 A Dynamic Forum for Livestock Producers, 
                     Pasture Scientists and Educators
             June 26-30 1995, Atherton, Queensland, AUSTRALIA

                FIFTH AUSTRALIAN TROPICAL PASTURES CONFERENCE

     There are many challenges to sustained and enhanced pasture productivity
to be met by the combination of science and practical innovation.  The 1995
Tropical Pastures Conference will bring together producers, researchers,
educators and others involved in the public and private sectors.  It will
analyse the main challenges and identify action initiatives for professionals 
and industry practitioners and their organisations.

     Natural and sown pastures or forages are the basis of north Australian
beef, dairy and wool production.  Their future productivity will determine
the long term competitiveness of these industries.

     The Conference will examine tropical and subtropical pastures in the
contexts of the animal production business systems of which they form an
integral part.  Atherton provides a perfect location to combine formal
talks with on-site inspections of beef, dairy and tropical seed production
enterprises.

     Linked with the Conference will be a professional training course in 
1 or 2 major areas of pasture technology and its application.

                            The Conference

     The first day will examine a few major themes such as:

     *   The global environment for pasture based industries - markets, public
         policies, community attitudes, competing industries - their
         interpretation for the future;

     *   What does the future hold for new pasture plants?

     *   Management of natural resources - correct assessment of condition and
         trend by resource users, practical strategies for resource
         rehabilitation and maintenance;

     *   The role of animal science and technology - objective selection and
         controlled genetics, rumen technology, metabolic efficiency,
         nutritional interactions.

     The format will be leading addresses by invited speakers followed by an
hour or more syndicated and plenary discussion to crystallise issues.

     Contributions related to these themes or the forums of Day 2 will be
welcome as poster presentations and ample time will be allotted for viewing
them and discussing them with contributors.

                            Industry Forums

     The second day will be conducted as separate Industry Forums.

     Half a day will be allocated to invited papers on leading edge
technologies and innovative enterprises, as well as related posters. The
afternoon will involve Field Visits to commercial properties.  Possible
forums (subject to demand) are:

              *   wet tropics beef,
              *   dry tropics beef,
              *   dairy,
              *   pasture seed production

                            Action Workshop

     On the day following the Conference and Industry Forums, the convenors 
will design a workshop for open participation by interested persons to analyse
issues arising during conference sessions and to determine appropriate actions.
Such actions might include promulgation to specific organisations or
institutions, specific programmes of the Grassland Society, or incorporation
in the strategies of the Northern Dairy Group or North Australian Beef 
Research Council.

                     Professional Training Course

     The Tropical Grasslands Society is planning a two-day training session
for pasture and animal researchers, extension officers and consultants,
agribusiness personnel and educators - secondary and tertiary.  The course
will either precede or follow the three-day Conference block.

Present options are:

Theme A:  The main factors of climatic environment, soil and vegetation,
resources, animals, markets and business systems that explain geographic
variations in seasonal animal production across Northern Australia.  What
process relationships are used to quantify the effects of these actors? 
How well do they explain variation?  What do they tell us about extending
limits? 

Theme B:  Knowledge systems for innovation.  How is knowledge accessed by
industry?  What are the trends in public and private components, and their
implications?  Is formal training providing the requisite comprehension of
industry systems and practical skills?

The topics are still being resolved with potential course providers and it
is not too late for any suggestions provoked by this circular to be
considered.  Suggestions to Conference address or fax by end of June will
be welcome.  [Is early July too late?  Probably not quite :-) ]

     The Conference is being convened jointly by the Tropical Grassland
     Society of Australia, the North Australian Beef Research Council, 
     and the Northern Dairy Group [Australia].

Please address enquiries to the Conference Secretariat:

     E-mail:  [email-masked]

     Fax:     +61 (0)7 377 0265

     Post:    Fifth Australian Tropical Pastures Conference
              C/- CSIRO Division of Tropical Crops & Pastures
              306 Carmody Road, St Lucia,  Qld  4067
              AUSTRALIA

====================== End of notice ===================================

-- 

Ian Staples                        E-mail : [email-masked]
c/- P.O. Box 1054 MAREEBA          Phone  : +61 (0)70 921 555 Home 924 847
Queensland Australia 4880            Fax  : +61 (0)70 923 593   "   "   "