Subject: "Plain" mag anti-Internet
From: [email-masked] (kelvin potter)
Date: 17 Jul 1994 17:40:50 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Hi...I don't know if this is old hat, but I recently heard
interesting Net news about a recent issue of "Plain"--a sustainable 
ag and simple-living magazine I posted about in this group a few 
months ago.

FYI, it's a rather beautiful mag which the publisher was trying to
have produced entirely with hot-lead typesetting and wood-cut graphics.

Anyway, apparently the editorial declared that "Plain" didn't want info
or publicity about it passed around on the Internet. So, how do you
all like them apples? 

>From issue #1 I did read that #2 would have an anti-InfoBahn piece included.
It's a very interesting idea. (...For some reason I, who work on computers,
have always been very appreciative of info-escapees and things like hot-
lead typesetting efforts.) But I haven't been able to read it yet. 

I publish a mag ("Out Your Backdoor") which bent on reclaiming outdoor 
activities and other culture from those who push addiction, illusion and $$
..and try to inform my readers about other similar efforts as I find them.  
I'd written to "Plain" several times with requests for info, ad rates, a sample 
copy, etc, with no reply. So I finally sent what I thought was the subscription, 
along with an offer to promote and review "Plain".

When I heard about the anti-Net editorial, I thought ah-ha. I recently received 
my sub check back along with a note from the editor, Scott Savage, saying that
I was off a few dollars and probably wouldn't like their magazine anyway as it 
had a conservative philosophy. ...Amazing. I do, too...but I guess not the right 
kind. Since when was philosophy meant to sort people? I thought it was for sorting 
ideas. I'd never had an editor disinvite me from subscribing before.

Anyone else have info on the goings-on at "Plain"?