Subject: LEGISLATIVE NEWS
From: [email-masked] (Larry Fletcher)
Date: 15 Jul 94 16:48:16 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

LEGISLATIVE NEWS
----------------

     July 15, 1994 

LEGISLATING HEALTH AND SAFETY (Sun-Diamond Grower) -- No grower wants to put
workers' health or safety in jeopardy, but with thousands of pages of rules and
regulations on the books, how can anyone hope to keep up with all that's
required?  Growers, for the most part, seem to take a pragmatic attitude toward
the increasingly stringent and complex laws. Notes Fred Montgomery of Almond
Orchards, a Diamond Walnut grower-member located near Durham, "Our attitude is
yes, they're very complex, but we're doing the best we can to comply.  Many of
them make a lot of sense." 

     July 14, 1994 

WESTLANDS' LEGAL ACTION AGAINST CVPIA PROVISIONS MISUNDERSTOOD (Water Report)
-- Westlands Water District's legal challenge of environmental compliance with
two provisions of the Central Valley Project Improvement Act (CVPIA) and
implementation of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) has caused quite an uproar
and much confusion among people following water issue.  Earlier this spring,
Federal District Court Judge Oliver Wanger issued an opinion preventing the
U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) from implementing two water reallocation
provisions of the CVPIA without first complying with another environmental law,
the National Environmental Protection Act (NEPA).  He ruled that the CVPIA
itself requires the Central Valley Project (CVP) to be operated i compliance
with all obligations of state and federal law, including NEPA.  "Everyone,
including the federal government, has to comply with the law," said Westlands
General Manager Jerald R. Butchert. 

     July 13, 1994 

NEW POULTRY-CHECK RULES UNVEILED (The Fresno Bee) -- Washington - The
Agriculture Department on Monday unveiled new poultry inspection rules that
toughen standards, including zero tolerance for fecal contamination. But
critics noted the new rules still depend on an inspector's eyesight and sense
of smell rather than on more sophisticated methods.  The public will have 90
days to comment on the proposed rules, which are expected to take effect by
late this year or in early 1995.

     July 12, 1994 

COMPOST REGULATIONS COULD AFFECT SUPPLY, PRICES (California Certified Organic
Farmers) --Organic farmers soon may see the cost of compost go up and the
number of available sources go down if proposed regulations go into effect. 
The California Integrated Waste Management Board (CIWMB) has proposed all
compost operations be required to obtain a solid waste management facility
permit.  The draft regulations extend to all feedstocks.  While there is an
exemption for compost made and spread on-farm, the regulations would extend to
farmers selling or even giving away compost without a permit.  While the intent
of the enabling legislation was to relieve pressure on municipal landfills, the
CIWMB has taken a broader authority and plans to regulate almost all composting
activity in the state.  

     July 11, 1994 

MILK BILL CRITICIZED AS SPECIAL INTEREST (Bee Capitol Bureau) -- Consumers
Union, publisher of Consumer Reports magazine, has labeled a bill by
Assemblyman Sal Cannella, D-Ceres, as "the worst special interest bill of the
year."  The bill would permanently set milk prices for some producers by
eliminating a sunset provision on a similar bill written last year by Sen. Dan
McCorquodale, D-Modesto.  The Cannella bill passed the Senate Ag and Water
committee this week and now goes to the Senate Appropriation Committee. 
Consumers Union has opposed the bill since its inception, and the group's
lobbyists have testified against it on several occasions.  The consumer
organization argues that the bill "will put many small dairy farmers out of
business and force consumers to pay even higher milk prices."  Consumers Union
argues that the bill would allow the Legislature to fix the price of quota
milk, which is the same type of milk produced by non-quota cows.  They contend
that the state's largest dairies hold the majority of quota certificates and
would benefit unfairly  form the legislation.