Subject: Re: Basil
From: [email-masked] (Bill Christensen)
Date: 18 Jul 1994 00:30:29 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Tom Swiezy writes:

>I got a pack of Basil seeds in a free Smithsonian Magazine subscription. 
They
>say plant just below the soil and keep moist until germination, about 7-10 
>days.  It also says 2 inches apart.  My questions are:

>1. Is it too late, or can they be planted anytime?
>2. Will they come up every year, do they seed, or what?
>3. Is it easy to grow inside, does it spread, can you take shoots?
>4. How many seeds per pot, or do you keep going every 2" until you run out
of
>   room?
>5. Will the plant, or any other herbs, work as an organic pesticide while
>   growing, or, only when dried and sprinkled?
>6. What does it taste like, what can you use it in as an addition to a
recipe?

Hi Tom, & others

I just got a packet of the same...here are a few answers and opinions:

1.  I'm in Texas, and I usually start mine in February, so my answer here
probably doesn't count.  If you're doing it indoors, it probably doesn't
matter.
2.  The plant is annual, meaning it only grows one season.  But, it will
seed, and I have had basil go for several years without replanting because of
this. 
3. I've never tried it inside, but the package suggests it, so go ahead and
try.  It usually grows as a bush, not a vine. You can prune the tips to give
it an attractive shape if you want.  I have had basil plants outside grow 4
ft high by 4 ft wide (remember, this is Texas-everything is bigger,
especially the growing season). I don't think you can take shoots. 
4.  There are enough seeds in the packet, go ahead and plant half a dozen (or
more)per pot.  You'll have lots of plants even if only 1/4 of them germinate.
Probably should choose the strongest one or two in each pot and thin out any
others.  
5.  If it works when dried, then it probably works even better when fresh and
growing, as the volitile oils in the leaves are more potent then.  This may
be one reason that basil is considered in India to be auspicious to have
around your house.
6.  Well, it tastes like store bought basil, only much better!  One thing I
love to do with it is make Pesto.  You can make up a big batch and freeze it
and use it all through the year.  I freeze it in ice cube trays, that way I
don't have to hack it off a big chunk whenever i want to use it. 

To make Pesto:  

Combine in a food processor
basil leaves (if you're going to freeze, blanch them by dropping them into
boiling water for a second or two first.  for some reason this holds the
flavor better)
parmesan cheese
pine nuts or walnuts (depending on the depth of your pockets)
olive oil
garlic 
lemon juice
salt

puree the above.  

All quantities are according to your own taste.  Whiz it up, and see what it
needs more (or less) of.  Or, if you're of a more precise mind, look up a
recipe in a cookbook-theyll give you more exact quantities to start from. 
You can also add some fresh oregano, or even cilantro, to the mix.  

Use this instead of tomato sauce on spaghetti, with cream cheese on crackers
or bread, or for whatever else you can dream up.  It's strong, so it doesn't
take a lot to flavor whatever it is with. 

Enjoy.  

Bill
[email-masked]

  
  Sent via FirstClass (R) UUCP Gateway from InfiNet*
    an online community for progressive information
        Austin, Texas USA * BBS 512.301.2151