Subject: Online Resource Pointer #6
From: [email-masked] (Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr)
Date: 23 Jul 1994 04:44:53 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

>From: Pesticide Action Network North America Reg Ctr <panna>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================
Online Resource Pointer #6

July 22, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

*Staying Well in a Toxic World: Understanding Environmental 
Illness, Multiple Chemical Sensitivities, Chemical Injuries, 
and Sick Building Syndrome, 1994.*  Lynn Lawson.  Reveals how 
studies by the Environmental Protection Agency, the Food and 
Drug Administration, and other agencies demonstrate that 
chemically-sensitive people are affected by the polluted 
environment.  Lawson looks at numerous case studies in which 
people who suffer from symptoms and could not be helped by 
their doctors have regained their health by decreasing 
exposure to certain chemicals.  350pp.  US$15.95.  The Noble 
Press, Inc., 213 W. Institute Place, Suite 508, Chicago, IL 
60610; phone (312) 642-1168; fax (312) 642-7682.  

*Health Effects of Estrogenic Pesticides, 1993.*  Hearing 
Before the Subcommittee on Health and the Environment of the 
Committee on Energy and Commerce House of Representatives on 
the issue of pesticides that imitate human hormones, 
particularly the female hormone estrogen. Includes testimony 
from the National Cancer Institute, Department of Health and 
Human Services, and Environmental Protection Agency, and 
other agencies.  185pp.  Mr. Lee Larmon, Energy and Commerce 
Committee, Room B334, Rayburn House Office Bldg., South 
Capitol and Independent Streets, NW, Washington, D.C. 20515; 
phone: (202) 225-0222.

*Pesticide Use Report, Indexed by Chemical & Commodity, 
1992.*  California Dept. of Pesticide Regulation.  Each of 
this two volume set summarizes the Pesticide Use Report Data 
and lists by chemical or commodity the number of 
applications, pounds applied, and acres/units treated in 
California in 1992.  Also includes the monthly and total 
pounds of pesticides applied in each county in California.  
Both reports approx. 350pp.  Each report US$25.00.  Cashier, 
State of California, Department of Pesticide Regulation, 1020 
N Street, Sacramento, CA 95814.  

*Pesticide Industry Sales and Usage: 1992 and 1993 Market 
Estimates, 1994.* EPA.  This report was prepared by the 
Biological and Economic Analysis Division of EPA's Office of 
Pesticide Programs.  Tables in the report contain information 
on quantities of pesticides used in the U.S., user 
expenditures, imports, exports, number of certified 
applicators and other topics including historical data.  
34pp.  Available in single copies for free; request for 
publication number 733-K-94-001.  U.S. EPA, NCEPI, P.O. Box 
42419, Cincinnati, OH 45242-2419; phone (513) 891-6561; fax 
(513) 891-6685.
   
*Selected Terms and Acronyms, 1994.*  EPA, Office of 
Pesticide Programs.  Defines in non-technical language many 
commonly used terms and acronyms appearing in regulatory 
documents, reports, correspondence, speeches and testimony, 
fact sheets, press releases, and other publications produced 
by EPA's Office of Pesticide Programs.  Available in single 
copies for free; request for publication number 738-B-94-002.  
EPA/NCEPI, P.O. Box 42410, Cincinnati, OH 45242-0419; phone 
(513) 891-6561; fax (513) 891-6685.

*Best Management Practices for Reducing Pesticide Run-Off and 
Toxicity in the Coastal Fisheries of Ecuador: A Preliminary 
Assessment, 1994.*  Charles Benbrook.  The die-off of small 
larvae in the commercial shrimp ponds of coastal Ecuador is 
known as the Taura Syndrome.  Pesticide run-off from banana 
plantations has been implicated as the main cause.  This 
report discusses what best management practices the industry 
should adopt to improve the quality of coastal waters.  
246pp.  Free.  Appropriate Technology Limited, 3601 Garden 
Brook, Dallas, TX 75234; phone (214) 243-8930; fax (214) 406-
1125.

*Pesticides and the Agrichemical Industry in Sub-Saharan 
Africa, 1994.*  Winrock International Environmental Alliance.  
This report examines of pesticide use in sub-Saharan Africa, 
agrichemical companies that have a major regional presence 
and their markets, products, and target commodities.  It 
offers short country reports describing patterns of pesticide 
use and related issues, and discusses the problems associated 
with international trade of pesticides and toxic substances 
in general, and to Africa.  Specifically the report also 
focuses on nations in the region that are or have been 
traditional recipients of donor assistance.  117pp.  EPAT 
Project, Winrock International Environmental Alliance, 1611 
North Kent Street, Suite 600, Arlington, VA 22209; phone 
(703) 525-9430; fax (703) 516-0481.

*Farm Chemicals Handbook, 1994.*  Meister Publishing Company.  
PAN's most used reference book.  Contains six main sections: 
Pesticide Dictionary, Biocontrols Dictionary, Fertilizer 
Dictionary, Fertilizer Dictionary, Regulatory File, 
Environmental and Safety, and Buyers' Guide.  865pp.  US$64 
(+ US$5 shipping and handling).  Farm Chemicals Handbook, 
37733 Euclid Avenue, Willoughby, OH 44094-5992; phone (800) 
572-7740.

*Pesticide Illness Surveillance Program, 1994.*  EPA, 
Department of Pesticide Regulation.  This report summarizes 
reports of illness or injury potentially caused by pesticide 
exposure.  54pp.  California Environmental Protection Agency, 
Department of Pesticide Regulation, 1020 N Street, Room 200, 
Sacramento, CA 95814; phone (916) 445-3974.  

*Catalog of OPP Publications and Other Information Media, 
1994.*  EPA, Prevention, Pesticides and Toxic Substances.  
Lists publications and other information available to the 
public from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Office 
of Pesticide Programs (OPP).  104pp.  Available by writing:  
Public Information Center, 401 M Street SW, Washington, DC 
20460 or the National Center for Environmental Publications 
and Information (NCEPI), P.O. Box 42419, Cincinnati, OH 
45242-2419; phone (703) 305-5017.
***
The Online Resource Pointer is a feature of PANUPS, PANNA's 
online news update service.  The Online Resource Pointer is 
an extension of the Resource Pointer, a regular feature in 
our quarterly newsletter, the Global Pesticide Campaigner, 
which lists selected books, reports, periodicals, articles 
and videos that focus on issues related to pesticides and 
sustainable agriculture.  

We welcome those interested in having resources listed in the 
Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Publications and Information 
Coordinator Ellen Hickey or Information Program Associate 
Gina Bearse for further information.  
=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide 
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA is 
located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, CA 
94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To receive a 
standard information packet about the Pesticide Action Network 
send a short e-mail message to [email-masked].
=============================================================