Subject: diverse farms
From: [email-masked] (marla pyle)
Date: 26 Jul 1994 17:21:43 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Dear Lori at Farmer to Farmer,
      Wendell Berry's book, The Gift of Good Land (San Francisco, North Point P
ress, 1981) is a reference you might find useful for your article about diverse
 farming systems.  Mr.  Berry describes several successful diverse farms, and d
iscusses both practical and philosophical advantages of this type of farming
system.
      Another resource you might find helpful is your state's center for sustai
nable agriculture (if it has one).  Here in Kansas, we have the Kansas Rural Ce
nter, which conducts on farm research in sustainable agriculture, as well as
acting as a public education resource.  The KS Rural Center could probably put
you in touch with several operators of diverse farming systems.  Contact them
at (913)873-3431; the director is Dan Nagengast.
     You might also contact your local organic producer's organization.
     Good luck!
     Marla Pyle
     Dept of Plant Pathology, KS State University, Manhattan, KS