Subject: Re: Grad programs - Internat'l Agricultural Development??
From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 18:34:52 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.agriculture.misc,sci.agriculture,alt.sustainable.agriculture

: In article <[email-masked]>, "James A. Chapman" <[email-masked]> writes:
: >> I am seeking information about graduate programs in International 
: >> Agricultural Development or International Development (with a focus on 
: >> rural/agricultural development).  I know about the programs at Cornell 
: >> University and UC-Davis>
: >> Thanks for the help!
: >> Jessica   --   Post a response or email me at [email-masked]
: >
: >Suggest you check out the Department of Agricultural Economics at 
: >Michigan State University.  Others include UMinnesota, Iowa State and 
: >North Carolina State.
: Also, try contacting the College of Agriculture, Ohio State University,
: Columbus, OH.  

I received my MS in Int. Ag. Dev. from UC Davis in 1991.  The best things 
about it are that it is interdisciplinary, students are required to take 
courses that cover many facets of ag. development; it's flexible, you 
have leeway in how your program is constructed--you could, for instance, 
design a specialization that incorporated coursework and advisors from 
different departments.  The worst things about the program are serious 
lack of funding for graduate research, the same is true every where, I 
suppose; and weak links to overseas projects.  Many universities have 
direct links with  development projects that students can take advantage 
of in terms of research projects and interaction with professionals from 
developing countries.  While davis has many visiting scholars from 
overseas and faculty members have a great deal of experience in 
development, there is little formal structure for students to lock on 
to.  UC Davis grads are working all over the world, there are many 
possibilities for those who have the motivation to pursue them.  I don't 
know much about the Cornell program, so I will leave that to someone else.

I hope this has been  helpful.  I don't have the program address handy, 
but if you email me, I can find it for you.  

Mark Cady