Subject: Re: SUMMARY- Ag. Music
From: [email-masked] (Bo Yerxa)
Date: 28 Jul 1994 15:25:16 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Thanx to Robert Stevahn for the neat diversion on SANET.   
Tho unexpected, it does evoke an awareness of the broader meanings of
agriCULTURE (as compared to agribusiness).

A couple of additions (since I missed the initial request for info) :)

Lennie Gallant is a Prince Edward Island Acadian who write & sings in a
simular vein as Stna Rogers.  His song "Island Clay" from the album
"Breakwater" (Reveant Records, So. Rustico, PEI, Canada ph.902-429-0485)
about a farm auction is goosepimply. Also check his song "The Hope for
Next Year"

The Arm & Hammer String Band from Vermont did a wonderful traditional
collection in the early 70s.  The title cut from it, "Stay on the Farm"
evokes some agrarian history.

Pete Seeger, Si Kahn & Jane Sapp (ALL increadable sociomusicians) did a
double album 6-8 years ago, "Carry It On", which I believe was to benefit
some social justice groups-particularly the Highland Education Center. 
Pete' rendition of the traditional song "Hayseeds Like Me" on that set is
a wonderful testiment of faith in democracy.

And I cannot let the attribution of origin of "The Garden Song" to Tom
Paxton stand.  The song was written by my home boy, David Mallet, from the
Heart (Dover-Foxcroft) of Maine, and came out on his first album (1972-4?)
titled "David Mallet.  That same album has "Fire!", a powerful narrative
of a farmhouse ablaze.  Also check out his more recent song "Pray for
Rain" on the album "This Town" (Vangard).  Arlo Guthrie learned "The
Garden Song" fromPete Seeger.

'cuse any spellin' errors...this is fun, but work is looming & gotta run!