Subject: Acclimating tomato(e)s!
From: [email-masked] (Jim Dixon)
Date: 28 Jul 94 16:36:20 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Hello Phillip,

 PJ> Jim Dixon wrote in a message to Cissy Bowman:

JD> This is true.  Well, I was hoeing around them today and JD> ooops! Hacked
one off at ground zero. They are all doing JD> quite well but I can see that
they are note very strong yet. JD>  In a few years, they may even stand up to
my hoeing :) 

 PJ> Whoa!! Major paradigm shift coming. You mean that Tomato plants AREN'T 
 PJ> ephemeral, that I can plant a tomato Patch and have 
 PJ> the SAME plants year after year? I have never heard of 
 PJ> this before (I confess my rookie status freely)

Not sure what your question is asking, but what I was meaning is that I will
use the seeds from several saved tomatoes and re-use them the following year
(growing season.)

 PJ> Our winters are pretty mild, with a number of days 
 PJ> below freezing, but very few below 20 Farenheit.

Our summers last from about mid-April to mid-September tho I have pulled
tomatoes in late October. Then winter settles in.

 PJ> We planted a bunch of Roma tomatos and are just 
 PJ> getting ready to have our first batch from them. 
 PJ> Yummmm. I would just love to think that the same 
 PJ> plants will be here year after year.

I am sure they will be if you re-use seeds. The seeds I was given by Cissy are
acclimated to a different climate. Each years use of the new seeds should
improve their ability to withstand local climatic changes,mean temperatures
etc. This is our first year planting the seeds from Cissy and the plants are
struggling along. I hope that in 4 or 5 yeears that they will produce more and
become more hardy to our climate... and my hoeing :)
             Jim