Subject: CALENDAR: SA Calendar of Events, August, 1995
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Hegyes)
Date: 1 Aug 1994 05:38:57 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

CALENDAR OF SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE EVENTS 
SARE/ACE CALENDAR FOR FY 1994

Updated:  25 May 1994

Sponsored by the Sustainable Agriculture Network & the
Alternative
Farming Systems Information Center 

If you would like us to include your events please send
the event name, place, contact, and sponsor, to Alternative
Farming Systems Information Center, ATTN: SAN/AFSIC Calendar,
Room 304, National Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore
Boulevard,Beltsville, Maryland 20705-2351. FAX: (301) 504-6409.  
INTERNET:   [email-masked]                                  

* Events added since last edition

1994

August 4, 1994
Event:    Fourth Annual Conference of the Leopold Center for 
          Sustainable Agriculture
Place:    Scheman Continuing Education Building, Iowa State 
          University, Ames, Iowa
Contact:  Leopold Center, 126 Soil Tilth Building, Iowa State 
          University, Ames, IA  50011-3120.                      
          Phone: (515)294-3711
Sponsor:  Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture

August 5-7, 1994
Event:    20th Annual NOFA Summer Conference and Celebration of
          Rural Life
Place:    Hampshire College,  Amherst, MA
Contact:  Julie Rawson, 411 Sheldon Road, Barre, MA  01005.
          (508) 355-2853.

August 7-10, 1994
Event:   "Agroforestry and Sustainable Systems"
Place:    Fort Collins, Colorado
Contact:  Kim Isaacson, Center for Semiarid Agroforestry, Rocky
          Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station, UNL East
          Campus, Lincoln, NE  68583-0822.  (402) 437-5178.

August 7-9, 1994
Event:   "Catch the Conservation Wave," the 49th annual meeting
          and expo of the Soil and Water Conservation Society
Place:    Waterside Convention Center, Norfolk, Virginia
Contact:  Call 1-800-THE-SOIL
Sponsor:  The Soil and Water Conservation Society

August 10-12, 1994
*Event:   Management Intensive Grazing Workshop
Place:    Linneus, Missouri
Contact:  Forage Systems Research Center, Rt. 1., Box 80,        
          Linneus, MO  64653.  
          Phone:  (816) 895-5121
Sponsor:  Missouri Alternatives Center, University Extension

August 13, 1994
*Event:   Center for Rural Affairs Annual Meeting
Place:    Adams County Fairgrounds, Hastings, Nebraska
Contact:  Attn:  Jan, Center for Rural Affairs, Box 406,
Walthill, NE  68067.  Phone:  (402) 846-5428

August 18-20, 1994
Event:    WRCC-67 Sustainable Agriculture meeting for the Western
          Region.  
Place:    Cheyenne, WY.
Contact:  David Granatstein, Washington State University, at     
          (509) 663-8181 x.222.

August 13-21, 1994
Event:    International Conference on Organic and Sustainable
          Agriculture
Place:    Beijing Agricultural University, Beijing, Peoples'
          Republic of China
Contact:  Mike Rennekar, Director, Agriculture Programs, Citizen
          Ambassador Program, Dwight D. Eisenhower Building,
          Spokane, WA  99202.  Phone:  (509) 534-0430.           
          FAX:  (509) 534-5245.

August 26, 1994
*Event:   Second Annual Western Kansas Organic Farm Tour
Place:    Marienthal, Kansas
Contact:  Allan Moody.  Phone:  (316) 379-4472

September 6-8, 1994
Event:    Second National Symposium, "Allelopathy in Sustainable 
          Agriculture, Forestry and Environment"
Place:    J. N. Vyas University, Jodhpur-342 001, Rajasthan,     
          India
Contact:  Dr. Shamsher S. Narwal, Organizing Secretary,          
          Department of Agronomy, CCS Haryana Agriculture        
          University, Hisar-125 004, Haryana, India.  
          Phone:  91-1662-73721, ext. 4268.  FAX:  91-1662-73552.
Sponsor:  Indian Society of Allelopathy 

September 17, 1994
Event:    Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA) 
          Fall Field Day
Place:    Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial Garden
Contact:  Skip Kaufman, Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial 
          Garden, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD.  
          Phone:  (301) 283-2113.

September 18-21, 1994
Event:    Sustainability of Range Livestock Production Systems in 
          the West
Place:    Billings, Montana
Contact:  Jack Riesselman, 525 Leon Johnson, Montana State
          University, Bozeman, MT  59717.  
          Phone:  (406) 994-5149.

September 18, 1994
Event:    New Jersey's Third Organic County Fair
Place:    Pennington, New Jersey
Contact:  (609) 737-6848
Sponsor:  Northeast Organic Farming Association

September 21-23, 1994
*Event:   The National Rural Families Conference
Place:    Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:  Steve Bollman, (913) 532-6984 or Charlie Griffin,      
          (913) 532-6985

October 12-14, 1994
*Event:   Management Intensive Grazing Workshop
Place:    Linneus, Missouri
Contact:  Forage Systems Research Center, Rt. 1., Box 80,        
          Linneus, MO  64653.  
          Phone:  (816) 895-5121
Sponsor:  Missouri Alternatives Center, University Extension

October 13-17, 1994
Event:    Seeds of Hope:  The Arctic to Amazonia Congress on
          Community and Sustainable Forestry
Contact:  Erik van Lennep, email:  [email-masked].

October 19-21, 1994
*Event:   3rd Annual Better Composting School
Place:    Ramada Inn, Hanover, Maryland
Contact:  (301) 405-4356
Sponsor:  Cooperative Extension Service, Department of           
          Horticulture, Department of Agricultural  Engineering,   
          University of Maryland at College Park

October 23-31, 1994
Event:    1994 International Sustainable Agriculture and Food
          Security Week.
Place:    Washington, DC
Contact:  Thomas Forster, NGO Working Group on Sustainable
          Agriculture.  Phone:  (808) 737-0300.  Internet: 
          [email-masked].  Or Linda Elswick, WSAA, 1331
          Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 907 North, Washington, DC
          20004.  Phone:  (202) 347-0637.  
          Internet: [email-masked] 

October 24-28, 1994
*Event:   "Down to Earth:  Practical Applications of  Ecological  
           Economics"
Place:    San Jose, Costa Rica.
Contact:  Amon Z. Mattee or Thierry Lasalle, Department of       
          Agricultural Education and Extension, Skoine University  
          of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania.

November 4th-5th, 1994
*Event:   20th Anniversary, Seattle Tilth:  "Sustaining the City,
          Nurturing the People and the Land"
Place:    Seattle, Washington
Contact:  Seattle Tilth, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103. 
          Phone:  (206) 633-0451
Sponsor:  Seattle Tilth

November 10th, 1994
*Event:   20th Anniversary, Portland Tilth
Place:    Portland, Oregon
Contact:  Oregon Tilth, PO Box 3588, Portland, OR 97208.  
          Phone: (503) 285-8279. FAX:  (503) 289-4179.

November 7-10, 1994
Event:   "Conservation and Equitable Growth:  The Challenge for
          Farming Systems."  Asian Farming Systems Symposium, 1994
Place:    Manila, The Philippines
Contact:  Symposium Coordinator, AFSS, PO Box 70, Peradeniya, Sri
          Lanka.  Phone:  +94 (8) 88081/88206.  
          FAX:  +94 (8) 32817/88206/32517.

November 11-13, 1994
Event:   "Telling the Story:  Celebrating Tilth's First Twenty 
          Years"
Place:    Edgefield Manor, near Portland, Oregon
Contact:  Tilth's 20th Anniversary, PO Box 3588, 
          Portland, OR  97208.  Phone:  (503) 285-8279.

November 12, 1994
Event:    Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA) 
          Annual Meeting
Place:    MDA Headquarters Bldg., Annapolis, MD
Contact:  MOFFA, 6201 Harley Road, Middletown, MD  21769.  
          Phone:  (301) 371-4814.

November 16-18, 1994
*Event:   Agroecologia-Sostenibilidad Educacion
Place:    Universidad Autonoma San Louis Potosi,  Mexico
Contact:  Escuela de Agronomia, UASLP, Apartado Postal F-2263,   
          San Louis Potosi, SLP CP 78321, Mexico
     
November 18-19, 1994
*Event:   5th Annual Rural Women's Conference:  "Holding It      
          Together"
Place:    First Presbyterian Church, Hutchinson, Kansas
Contact:  Char Hinton, FACTS Office, 1-800-532-3276 or Linda     
          Hessman, Rural Life Office, (316) 227-1500.
Sponsor:  Farmers Assistance, Counceling and Training Program    
          (FACTS), Interfaith Rural Life Committee of Kansas      
          Ecumenical Ministries and the Kansas Rural Center

November 21-25, 1994
*Event:   Systems-Oriented Research in Agriculture and Rural     
          Development
Place:    Montpellier, France
Contact:  Secretariat of the Symposium:  Systems-Oriented        
          Research in Agriculture and Development.  BP 5035,       
          34032 Montpellier cedex 01, France.  
          Phone:  (33) 67 61 71 85. FAX:  (33) 67 61 71 86.      
          Internet: [email-masked]

November 21-25, 1994
Event:    Systems-Oriented Research in Agriculture and Rural     
          Development
Place:    Montpellier, France
Contact:  Ms. Ann Lichens-Park, NBAP.  Phone: (202) 401-4892.  
          FAX:  (202) 401-4888.  OR Ms. Anne-Marie Seng-Sourinho,
          Direction Scientifique, CIRAD-SAR.  Phone:  67617185.  
          FAX:  67617186.

November/December 1994
Event:    3rd International Course on Fodder Tree                
          Legumes-Multipurpose Species for Agriculture
Place:    Queensland, Australia
Contact:  Dr. R.C. Gutteridge or Dr. H.M. Shelton, Fodder Tree   
          Legumes, Department of  Agriculture, University of     
          Queensland, Queensland, 4072 Australia.  
          Phone:  (61-7) 365-2062.  FAX:  (61-7) 365-1188.
Sponsor:  Department of Agriculture, The University of           
          Queensland.

December 11-16, 1994
Event:    10th International Organic Agriculture IFOAM Conference
Place:    Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand
Contact:  IFOAM Conference, Centre for Continuing Education,     
          PO Box 84, Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand. 
          Phone: (64) (3) 325-2811.  FAX:  (64) (3) 325-2944.

December 14, 1994
*Event:   Fertilizer Research and Education Program Annual       
          Conference          
Place:    Kearny Agricultural Center, Parlier, California
Contact:  Jacques Franco, FREP, California Department of Food and
          Agriculture, PO Box 942871, Sacramento, CA  94271-0001. 
          Phone:  (916) 653-5340.  

December 22-25, 1994
*Event:   Prairie Forum/Community Futures, '94
Place:    Victoria Inn, Brandon, Manitoba.
Contact:  Joy Dornian, Conference Coordinator, 
          WESTARC Group #1 - 723 Rosser Ave Brandon              
          MB Canada.  Phone:  (204) 729-3451.                    
          FAX: (204) 727-7555.

1995
January 25-28, 1995
Event:    15th Annual Eco Farm Conference:  
          "Seeds of Sustainability...Planting Our Future"
Place:    Asilomar, California
Contact:  Committee for Sustainable Agriculture, P. O. Box 838,  
          San Martin, CA  95046-0838

February 23-24, 1995
*Event:   Conference on Nitrogen and Water
Place:    Everett, Washington at the Everett Pacific Hotel
Contact:  Ed Adams, WSU Cooperative Extension - Spokane 601 W    
          First Avenue,Spokane  WA  99204-0399.                  
          Phone:  (509) 458-3580.  Stephen Cox, United States    
          Geological Survey, 1201 Pacific Avenue, 
          Tacoma  WA  98402.  Phone:   (206)593-6510.
Sponsor:  Washington State University Cooperative Extension, 
          Washington State Department of Ecology, Washington     
          State Department of Health, BC Environment, and the    
          U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

February 26-28, 1995
*Event:   California Farm Conference
Place:    Radisson Hotel, Sacramento, California
Contact:  Small Farm Center, University of California-Davis,     
          Davis, CA  95616

May 10-11, 1995
*Event:   "Planning for a Sustainable Future:  The Case of the
          North American Great Plains"
Place:    Lincoln, Nebraska
Contact:  Dr. Donald Wilhite, Director, International Drought
          Information Center,
          PO Box 830728, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 
          Lincoln, NE  68583-0728
          Phone:  (402) 472-6707.  FAX:  (402) 472-6614. 
          Internet:  [email-masked]
Sponsor:  Environment Canada, NOAA, University of Nebraska-
          Lincoln

June 11-14, 1995
Event:    "Sustainable Aquaculture, '95"
Place:    Ilikai Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:  Narendra Saxena.  Phone:  (808) 956-6163.  
          FAX:  (808) 956-2580.                                  
          Internet: [email-masked]

June 21-25, 1995
*Event:   Interdisciplinary Conference on the Environment 
Place:    Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:  Demetri Kantarelis, FAX:  (508) 799-4502 or 
          Internet: [email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------------------------
APPENDIX
Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
Regional Research Grants Schedules

The Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
program is a continuation of what was formerly known as LISA. 
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis for research and
educational projects in sustainable agriculture. 
Administration of the program takes place through four
regional centers, each of which has a separate schedule for
its call for proposals and other deadlines.  The schedules
will be included in this calendar as they become available. 
Following are the addresses of the Regional centers:

North Central Region               Western Region (After March 1,
                                   1994) 
Steve Waller, Coordinator          Phil Rassmussen, Coordinator
Agriculture Hall                   Ag Systems Technology
Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln          Utah State University
Lincoln, NE  68583-0704            Logan, UT  84322-2300
(402) 472-2973                     (801) 750-2230
Internet: [email-masked]     Internet: 
[email-masked]
 
Northeast Region                   Southern Region
Frederick R. Magdoff,              Gerald F. Arkin, Coordinator
Coordinator                        Agriculture Experiment Station
Dept. of Plant & Soil              Griffen, GA  30223-1797
Science                            (404) 228-7263
University of Vermont              Internet:[email-masked]. 
Burlington, VT  05405              peachnet.edu
(802) 656-2630
Internet:  [email-masked]

NORTH CENTRAL REGION

January 17, 1994:        Deadline for receiving full proposal

February 1, 1994         Producer-Initiated Grant Applications   
                         Available

March 7-11, 1994:        Combined Administrative                 
                         Council/Technical Committee meets to    
                         evaluate proposals

May 1, 1994              Producer-Initiated Grant Applications   
                         Due.  No FAXed applications accepted.

June 27-29, 1994         Administrative Council Meeting, to conduct
                         ongoing programming and review producer
                         grants  

WESTERN REGION 

January 25-26,1994       Technical Review Panel to meet 

March 3-4, 1994          Administrative Council to meet 

August 22 -26, 1994      Strategic Planning Meeting 

NORTHEAST REGION

Proposed Schedule for FY 1994

January 19, 1994         Deadline for submitting proposals to
                         the regional coordinator's office
 
January 26, 1994        Deadline for submitting Farmer/Grower   
                         proposals to regional coordinator's     
                         office

March 19-22, 1994        Technical committee meets to evaluate   
                         proposals for recommendation to the     
                         administrative council

March 22-23, 1994        Administrative council meets to
                         consider recommended projects and       
                         allocate funds
 
Early April, 1994        Grant applicants will be notified about  
                         funding decisions

July 27, 1994            Northeast RegionSARE/ACE Administrative
                    	 Council Meeting, at the Holiday Inn at the
                    	 Bradley International Airport,WindsorLocks,
                    	 Conn. 

July 27-28,1994     	 Northeast Region Sustainable Agriculture Farm 
                    	 Tour.  We will visit 6 farm and community
                    	 projects in Connecticut, Massachusetts and 
                    	 Vermont where people are working to create a
                     	 more sustainable food and agricultural system. 

SOUTHERN REGION

January 31-
February 4, 1994         Administrative Council and Technical
                         Committee Meetings

February, 1994           Notification of status of proposals and
                         producer initiated grants 

February, 1994           Initiate negotiation with project
                         coordinators of successful proposals

March, 1994              Newsletter
                         Develop Plan of Work for submission to
                         USDA-CSRS and EPA
                         Release Call for Proposal for Regional
                         Training Consortium/Network
                         Release Call for Proposal for Regional
                         Training Projects

April,  1994            Submit Plan of Work  to USDA-CSRS and    
                        EPA.

April, 1994             UGA issue subcontracts to project
                        coordinators

May, 1994               Regional Training Consortium/Network
                        proposal due.
                        Regional Training Projects proposal due.

June 13-15, 1994        Regional  Administrative Council Meeting

June, 1994              Newsletter
                        Release 1995 Call for SARE/ACE           
                        Preproposal
                                         
August, 1994            SARE/ACE Preproposals due at the Host 
                        Consortium

September, 1994         Invitation for full SARE/ACE Proposal

October, 1994           Newsletter
                        Release Call for Producer-Initiated      
                        Grants

December, 1994          Full Proposal due at the Host Consortium
                        Producer-Initiated Grants due at Host
                        Consortium