Subject: Re: Risks in organic food
From: [email-masked] (Sal Schettino)
Date: 1 Aug 1994 15:19:09 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

What do you call a farmer that does not use poison at all. Us farmers 
don't have to use poison natural or not.  I pay CCOF the state of Cal. 
and soon the fed gov.  thats three org.. that check out to see if you are 
organic.  Thats three count them three Certification groups ,people you 
have to pay and report to just for not using poison.  All 
Organic Farmers don't use natural poison.  So what do we call us if not 
organic to show people we don't use harmful stuff. NO one should use 
harmful stuff natural or not.  So what do we call us if we don't 
use harmful stuff farming.  I'm tired of hearing organic farmers use 
harmful natural pesticides its not true in all cases.  And the best 
reason to farm organic is it works.  You can grow food and not poison the 
people that eat it,the air,the watersupply,etc. Organic farmers have a 
label with there name on it.  If you are CCOF the people that eat your 
crops can call CCOF and see if you use harmful natural stuff because you 
have to file a report because they are restricted. you cannot do anything 
about natural harmful stuff on earth ,its here but don't make more 
harmful stuff in the lab.  The chemical people have put tons and tons and 
tons and tons of poison man made on earth.I just read in news today that 
the water supply is a mess.  1 out of 5 people drink contamanated water.
I wounder how much of that is natural organic stuff or man made poisons.
Restricted (R) materials are allowed by CCOF only with certain 
restrictions,and only if no alternatives are feasible.  The use of these 
materials is discouraged.A Restricted Materials Use Report (RMUR) must be 
filed at the end of each year at the time of annual membership 
renewal.The use of these materials is discoraged.  In many cases the 
permitted use of these materials is dependent on the specific source,and 
demonstration that the material is free from contamination. 
Many Many Many Many organic farmers do not use restricted materials !..  You can check CCOF and see if your farmer uses these natural 
 moderately toxic stuff.  There is no way to tell how much harm man made 
toxic stuff has done to mankind in the name of pesticide,herbicide and 
all the darn cides. To justify making toxic stuff just because there 
are natural toxics is not right.  

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,[email-masked].
or check out my homepage:            http://rain.org./~sals/my.html