Subject: PANUPS: Sacramento Forum in Aug
From: [email-masked] (EcoNet Pesticide Desk)
Date: 1 Aug 1994 20:11:02 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

USDA Public Forum on Ag and the Environment in Sacramento, CA

August 1, 1994

On Thursday, August 11, 1994, the U.S. Department of 
Agriculture is hosting a public forum on "Agriculture and the 
Environment" in Sacramento, California.  The USDA is 
soliciting comments from grassroots interests on what they 
consider the most important natural resource management 
issues in their region and what actions they think should be 
taken; organizations and individuals are invited to offer 
their views. (See below for details.) 

The forum will include a series of 30 minute panels made up 
of farmers, environmentalists, academics and consumers, who 
have been invited to offer their views on critical issues 
related to agriculture and private forest land in the region 
and what federal policymakers and program administrators 
should do to solve these problems. 

Each speaker will have five minutes to adress the following 
questions:
1. What do you consider the major natural resources 
management problems (in terms of agriculture) in your area?
2. What are the causes of these problems?
3. What should national policymakers do in either the Farm 
Bill or administratively to solve these problems?
4. What should USDA do to help contribute to solutions?

Open-microphone periods in both the morning and afternoon 
sessions are planned to give other interested groups and 
individuals the opportunity to express their views.   A panel 
of USDA leaders from Washington DC will attend to respond to 
the presentations and comments.

The Sacramento forum is the last of eight public forums held 
across the country this summer by the USDA's Soil 
Conservation Service on behalf of a farm bill task force on 
environment and conservation.  The Soil and Water 
Conservation Society (SWCS), an international nonprofit 
organization, has worked with the Soil Conservation Service 
to organize these forums.  

In you are unable to atttend the forum but want to send your 
views to USDA, write "Listening Project, Soil and Water 
Conservation Society, 7515 Northeast Ankeny Road, Ankeny, IA 
50021-9764.  All comments will be forwarded to USDA officials 
in Washington, DC.

Sacramento "Agriculture and the Environment" Forum:
Best Western Harbor Inn, 1250 Halyard Drive, West Sacramento.
The forum begins at 9:00 am and will continue until 5:00 pm.  
An informal registration begins at 8:15 am.  There is no cost 
to attend the forum,

Contact: Soil and Water Conservation Society, phone (800) THE 
SOIL, extension 14 or 22.
=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide 
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA 
is located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, 
CA 94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To 
receive a standard information packet about the Pesticide 
Action Network send a short e-mail message to 
[email-masked].
=============================================================