Subject: QUERY- Labeling Laws?
From: [email-masked] (Robert Stevahn)
Date: 1 Aug 1994 22:52:39 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Date:94/08/01
Time:15:40
Subject:   QUERY: Labeling Laws?

I am trying to track down specific regulations dealing with the point 
of sale labeling of fresh produce.

I have found a citation regarding point of sale labeling of waxed 
produce (it must be labeled, and the label must specify whether the 
wax is from an animal or non-animal source). This was part of the 
Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990, and has been verified 
to me by an FDA Public Affairs representative. Shortly, I will have
a copy of the regulation (contact me if you'd like specifics).

I know I have read that fresh produce of a foreign origin is 
supposed to be labeled as well, but I am running into a brick wall 
trying to find such a regulation. The representatives from the FDA 
I spoke with both told me that this would be regulated by U.S. 
Customs. One of those persons, who spoke to someone in their 
compliance division, confirmed that foreign produce must be labeled. However,
when I contacted a local U.S. Customs official, he looked at 
his copy of the regulations and said that foreign produce is on the 
"J List", meaning that it is generally exempt from labeling 
requirements.

Can any of you shed light on this?

-- 
Robert Stevahn - [email-masked] - Speaking for himself, not HP.
Boise Food Connection, Inc.
Green Circle Farm