Subject: Survival Homestead Issues
From: [email-masked] (John Mudge)
Date: 30 Jul 94 19:28:04 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

=============================================================================
* Forwarded by John Mudge (1:352/111)
* Area : SURVIVAL_ORIENTED (Survnet: SURVIVAL_ORIENTED TOPICS)
* From : John Mudge, 9:2500/0 (Saturday July 30 1994 14:19)
* To   : Dave Paxton
* Subj : Survival Homestead Issues
=============================================================================
Hello Dave!

Thursday July 28 1994, Dave Paxton writes to Larry Gowdy:

 LG>> up with a year or so ago? Its supposed to be similar to a birch I
 LG>> believe, it'll grow around 10' or more a year, can be planted very
 LG>> close, and is disease resistant. I have info on it somewhere, but
 LG>> haven't heard of how its doing.

 DP> I haven't even heard about it. If you or John come up with any info let
 DP> us all know. 10' a year would make firewood a good crop.

James River Paper Company has an experimental plantation of poplars that grow
to full size in about 10 years.  They are genetic clones.  Their plantation is
near Vancouver, WA.  I will stop there next time through and get more
info...including sources and prices.  Also, MacMillan-Bloedel of British
Columbia has farms of genetically cloned spruce trees as an experimental
pulpwood crop.  Jim Dixon at Canadian Earthcare Foundation may well have info
on the subject.  He maintains databases of environmental information and is
interested in sustainable agriculture.

John Mudge

-+-
 # Origin:  -->point MUDGE bbs * V.32b * Shelton, WA  USA<--  (9:2500/0)
=============================================================================

Hello Jim!

Can you provide further info?  Or can anyone else?

John Mudge