Subject: position announcement
From: [email-masked] (Teresa Maurer)
Date: 5 Aug 1994 21:34:22 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

INFORMATION SPECIALIST

                        Regular, Full-Time Position

The National Center for Appropriate Technology is seeking a
qualified individual to fill the position of INFORMATION
SPECIALIST.  This position works for the Appropriate Technology
Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA) program located in NCAT's
Fayetteville, Arkansas office.  The position requires a bachelor's
degree or equivalent experience in agricultural journalism or
related field, and is responsible for assisting in the research,
summary and synthesis of technical sustainable agricultural
information, and in providing that information to requestors.  The
starting salary for the position is $20,925 plus comprehensive
benefits.

ATTRA, funded by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service,
Department of the Interior, is a public service accessed by a
toll-free phone line.  It provides information on sustainable
agriculture (systems aimed at lowering costs of farm production
and management using less fertilizer, pesticides, fuel and water,
rotational cropping systems, and conservation techniques).  This
information is supplied on request to farmers, Extension agents
and other agriculturalists throughout the United States.  ATTRA
approaches problems from an interdisciplinary point of view.

ATTRA is a project of the National Center for Appropriate
Technology (NCAT), a private nonprofit organization which promotes
technologies that can help individuals and communities solve
problems with energy, food, environment, housing, health or
economic development.

APPLICATION INFORMATION:
Interested persons may request application materials by contacting
Marlene Breese at 501-442-9824.  Applicants must submit a brief
cover letter describing their specific qualifications for the
requirements of the position, a resume', and a completed and
signed NCAT application form to the following address by no later
than the close of business (5:00 pm Central time) on September 30,
1994.  Top applicants may be asked to provide additional writing
samples.

                           ATTRA Program Manager
                               P.O. Box 3657
                          Fayetteville  AR  72702
                      Phone: (501) 442-9824

                                EOE,M/F/H/V
                 NATIONAL CENTER FOR APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY
                            POSITION DESCRIPTION

Position Title:     Information Specialist/Agriculture
Location:           Fayetteville, AR
Program:            Appropriate Technology Transfer to Rural Areas
                    (ATTRA)

Purpose and Nature of Position:

The Information Specialist is responsible for cooperating with
technical and support staff to provide client-requested
sustainable agricultural information. 

Essential Duties:

Answers incoming telephone calls on multiple lines.  Assists
caller in identifying the information they need, accurately
records their specific questions, and explains the scope of
ATTRA's services when necessary.  Records information about the
caller manually or on a computer screen. 

Works cooperatively with technical staff to help them respond to
information requests from callers.  Uses word processing,
databases, email and other computer software to retrieve, organize
and write these responses.  Produces formatted letters, adds text
changes to existing documents and/or produces bibliographic
references.

Under the guidance of technical staff, writes or edits standard
materials such as Information Packages, resource lists, standard
responses, or referral letters.

Assists with the maintenance of a system for indexing, storing,
and retrieving materials to be used in the delivery of standard
responses.

Uses grammatical and editing skills to check customized responses
for writing style, organization, grammar, clarity, reference
format, and typos.

Participates in weekly information-team meetings and shares with
other team members the duties of leading and recording team
meetings.  Cooperates with team members to accomplish tasks
identified by the team or other assigned special projects.

Accepts or initiates special projects selected to strengthen
ATTRA's organizational ties, to increase the current information
base or to facilitate in-house information flow.

Other Duties:

1.  May be asked to perform other writing, editing or proofreading
duties on special ATTRA projects.

2.  May perform other duties as assigned. 

Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:

The Information Specialist position requires the ability to work
cooperatively with people from diverse educational and
professional backgrounds via telephone, in writing, and in person
in a friendly and professional manner.  It also requires strong
technical writing and editing skills, organizing and research
skills, and proficient word processing skills.  A familiarity with
the concepts of sustainability and agricultural production and
related terminology is desirable.

Education and Experience:

A bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in agricultural
journalism or related field.  Experience with database software,
desktop publishing or related computer experience.  Practical
experience in a related agriculture position desirable.

Working Environment:

The position maintains normal business hours in an office
environment.  Teamwork environment includes regularly scheduled
meetings with Information Team.  The position is supervised by the
Senior Technical Specialists.  The position does not have
supervisory responsibilities.

Mental and Physical Demands

Must be able to speak clearly in person and over the telephone,
able to use a computer keyboard and visually see the screen, able
to write clearly when manual records are required, and must be
able to work effectively with stress related to assignment
deadlines  and multiple priorities.

NOTE: This general description reflects the job duties, knowledge
and skills typically needed for this position.  It is not at all
inclusive and other duties may be assigned to the individual in
this position.

-- 
***************************************************
* Teresa Maurer, Assistant Program Manager        *
* Appropriate Technology Transfer For Rural Areas *
* Fayetteville, Arkansas                          *
* [email-masked]                        *
* Voice (501) 442-9824, (800) 346-9140            *
***************************************************