Subject: Farmers' Market info?
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 05:12:19 EST
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

ID>Hi, I've been asked by a magazine to do a piece for them on the Certified
ID>Farmers' Market concept in California.  As I understand it, at CFMs the
ID>state certifies to the urban consumer that the produce/crops they are
ID>buying was grown by the people selling it - that it wasn't picked three
ID>states away 10 days ago.  Anybody have any information/comments/suggestions?
ID>Do these CFMs exist elsewhere?  Where'd the idea come from?  Thanks. (Also
ID>posted in misc.rural).

ID>Doug, a writer out west
ID>----------------------------------------Douglas Pager--------------------
ID>                                        [email-masked]

Doug, the folks at Oldways Preservation and Exchange Trust may be able
to help.  They recently sponsored a 3 day retreat for chefs at Fetzer
Vineyards and distributed some info on CFM's.  The retreat emphasized
sust. ag and bio-diversity and encouraged chefs to use farmers markets
as a resource.  The article on the retreat was in the July 6 New York
Times - A Woodstock for Food Lovers if you are interested.  Call Oldways
at 617-695-2300 for a contact on CFM's.  The chef perspective could be
an interesting one for the article.  Ask for Greg Drescher and you can
mention that Gary Holleman from ChefNet referred you if you like.

Good luck

--
     * ChefNet BBS - (218) 751-5149 - "The Culinary Center of Cyberspace" *