Subject: Re: Farmers' Market info?
From: [email-masked]
Date: 8 Aug 1994 14:30:11 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Douglas Pager) writes:
>Hi, I've been asked by a magazine to do a piece for them on the Certified 
>Farmers' Market concept in California.  As I understand it, at CFMs the 
>state certifies to the urban consumer that the produce/crops they are 
>buying was grown by the people selling it - that it wasn't picked three 
>states away 10 days ago.  Anybody have any information/comments/suggestions?
>Do these CFMs exist elsewhere?  Where'd the idea come from?  Thanks. (Also
>posted in misc.rural).>
>Doug, a writer out west
>                                        [email-masked]
         
	Doug, I sell at a market in Carrboro, NC that is farmer run. By that I
mean we inspect and approve each new vendor within a 50 mile radius. They must
grow or make the products they sell, we have 80 vendors. The market runs from
mid-march to Christmas. About 5 to 10 are craft vendors depending on the time
of the year. We charge $15 at the beginning of the year and $3 every time you
come. This pays for a market manager and ads that we run in the local media. We
also re-inspect and check on those who are suspect. All of this is done by
a Board of Directors who are elected at our annual meeting. This market is open
every Sat. from 7 to 12 and is very well supported by the folks in southern
Orange County. About a third of our vendors are organic.

						Patrick Mulkey