Subject: Pollination Concerns and FAO
From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Tom Sanford, Florida Extension Apiculturist)
Date: 11 Aug 1994 13:20:00 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Distributed to:
        USR:[MTS]ORG.DIS;3, mts
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla,           Cables:     Telex: 625852
FAO I      Facsimile: 522-55634          Telephone:
00100 Rome, Italy FOODAGRI ROME     625853 FAO I/ 610181 FAO I    
      Email:[email-masked]          522-52419

       REGIONAL OFFICE FOR EUROPE  -  BUREAU REGIONAL POUR L'EUROPE 
-                    OFICINA REGIONAL PARA EUROPA
To Whom it May Concern:

      The European System of Cooperative Research Networks in
Agriculture (ESCORENA), supported by the FAO Regional Office for
Europe, has for 21 years supported the exchange of information and
collaboration between European Scientists and sponsored workshops,
publications and other collaborative activities.  One of the
networks, the Sustainable Rural Enviornment and Energy Network
(SREN), is widening its focus to different environmental aspects of
sustainable agriculture.  During discussions, the area of
conservation of pollinator diversity and their habitats in the
wider framework of beneficial insects in agriculture has been
identified as one in which progress could have major implications
and impact on more environmentally-friendly agricultural practices.

      Some topics have already been suggested as of potential
interest such as: Inventory of Bee Species; Availability of Food
Plants and Nesting Sites; Positive Effects of Pollinating Insects
and Threats to Pollinating Insects.  

      I would like to ask you your opinion on such an initiative,
your ideas and suggestions and your interest to participate in such
an activity.  I am aware that there may already be some activities
of this kind and that like-minded people already have contacts to
each other.  This network effort does not seek to repeat or compete
with ongoing activities but rather to complement or further
activities of similar interests.  If you know of such other
activities I would appreciate it if you let me know.  Please feel
free to pass this request also to others who you think might be
interested.

      I will be in Paris at the IUSSI Congress at the end of August
(22-27.8) and will try to organize a small meeting with interested
people to discuss and prepare more concrete ideas, activities and
proposals.  Will you be attending this Congress?  I will try to
arrange the meeting possibly towards the end of the Congress and
will announce any specifics on the message board and perhaps
through some section chairmen.  If you will not be in Paris, please
let me know your ideas by E-mail or regular mail and I will keep
you informed on any progress and future activities.

                                    With best regards,

R. Krell
Regional Officer for Environment
and Sustainable Agriculture
Regional Office for Europe (REUR)

	
*********************************************************************
*     This message was sent to the following list of usernames:     * 
*********************************************************************
! In%"[email-masked]", In%"[email-masked]", 
! in%"bee-l@albnyvm1", in%"[email-masked]", in%"[email-masked]", 
! mts