Subject: Re: Acclimating tomato(e)s!
From: [email-masked] (Cissy Bowman)
Date: 9 Aug 94 13:28:00 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

Tomatoes aren't perennials, and will eventually die out even if you live where 
it never gets cold, BUT, you can save seeds from them each year and replant. 
The results will be plants that are better acclimated to your area, and 
depending on your selection  (large tomatoes, small, early, late...) will 
become more of the tomato you are looking for  (within that variety).
You can even let them self-seed if you have a long enough growing season, and 
get by without raising transplants.
Saving seeds is easy.  Just squeeze seeds out of a ripe tomato and put in a 
container to sit for a few days and grow a nice mold over the top.  (Use 
several of the best tomatoes you have).  Then rinse the seeds in a colander 
and spread out on a paper to dry well.  Store in the freezer until ready to 
plant.
Why let them mold?  It kills seed-borne diseases and removes the gel which 
acts as a non-sprouting agent.  Smelly, and messy, yes--but well worth the 
trouble.  Make sure you are using non-hybrid (open-pollinated) tomatoes so 
they come true to seed.
Have fun!