Subject: Green for Sustainability
From: [email-masked] (A. Piper)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 10:32:52 -0700
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The news is that the New Mexico Supreme Court ruled to
deny the Demos petition!!!!!!!!!!
	The court ruled on Thursday the 11th.  The demos were claiming that our
candidate for governor : Roberto Mondragon : and three others switched
party alliances (they were demos) too late.  If our candidates had switched
to the republican party, the demos would be correct in their petition, as I
understand it.  The State of New Mexico has a provision for minor party
access (which the Green Party was at the time of registering for the
ballot) allowing for a later declaration of party affiliation.  [ a party
that has over 5% of the registered voters is no longer a minor party, were
taking +10% at the polls but that is now, and that's why the demos are so
scared].
The point became that while the court ruled that there is some ambiguity in
the statutes, it is clear that the Green Party followed the rules as the
Secretary of the State of New Mexico prescribed. The Democrats came off
whining about the spoiler effect they claim will hand the governor's chair
to the republicans.  The Republican candidate welcomed the ruling, and has
taken advantage of the situation to chide the demos about their cowardly
behavior ( dubbed them the 'yellow ' party ).  So; yes, the demos are going
to lose, this suit sealed their fate.  

The question becomes; can a grassroots, loosley knit, new party on the
scene, beat a republican millionaire contractor with lots of outside help? 
The repubs want this state, and they are right about the incumbents
vulnerability, but that vulnerability becomes a Green opportunity, (
especially with a popular reformed democrat as our prime candidate ).  We
need $$$green$$$ help.  A Green victory at this level makes the party
visible ( all those state governors boards will become red, blue, white
(independent) and green).  Roberto will be a good spokesperson, he has
strong roots in his culture and environment. He believes in open
government, (you know that of by and for stuff) and will work to change the
emphasis of growth in New Mexico towards more sustainable and familial
directions.  A victory for the Green Party at the state level here, becomes
a victory for all Greens.
 
                               !!!!!!!!!Please help, I don't want to live
under a republican governor!!!!!!!!!    

Make checks payable to:   The New Mexico Green Party
mention this post
-- 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$Support               New Mexico Green Party,            
Roberto Mondragon for Governor$$$$$$$$$
  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$    P.O. Box  22955                         
      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   Santa Fe , New Mexico  87502-2295 
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

-- 
Support New Mexico Green Party,  Roberto Mondragon for Governor
                P.O. Box  22955
                Santa Fe , New Mexico  87502-2295