Subject: PANUPS: Online Resource Pointer #5
From: [email-masked] (PANNA InfoPubs)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 00:51:29 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

>From: PANNA InfoPubs <paninfopubs>

=============================================================
  PESTICIDE ACTION NETWORK NORTH AMERICA UPDATES SERVICE
=============================================================

Online Resource Pointer #5

July 12, 1994

For copies of the following resources, please contact the 
appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

*World Directory of Pesticide Control Organizations, 2nd 
Edition, 1994.*  George Ekstrom. Directory of international 
organizations and national authorities in over 160 countries 
around the world which are involved in pesticides and their 
control.  This book is intended for all who are interested in 
pesticides and food safety including environmental groups, 
trade associations, consumer groups, the food industry, and 
national and international pesticide-related organizations.  
423pp.  US$69.00/UK40.00, postage included.  British Crop 
Protection Council, Publication Sales, Bear Farm, Binfield, 
Bracknell, Berks RG12 5QE, United Kingdom; phone (44-223) 
42006; fax (44-223) 423429; email: [email-masked].

*Washed, Peeled -- Contaminated: Pesticide Residues in Ready-
to-Eat Fruits and Vegetables, 1994.*  Richard Wiles and 
Christopher Campbell.  The report, analyzing U.S. government 
information on pesticide residues in food, finds that 
washing, peeling and otherwise preparing food for consumption 
does not remove or decrease the number of pesticides present 
in fresh fruits and vegetables.  Findings are based on an 
original analysis of data from the Pesticide Data Program of 
the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).  32pp.  
US$10.00 (Washington D.C. residents, please add 60 cents per 
copy for sales tax.)  Environmental Working Group, 1718 
Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 600, Washington, D.C. 20009; 
phone (202)667-6982; fax (202) 232-2592; email: 
[email-masked].

*Citizens, Pesticides, Hoechst: The Story of Endosulfan and 
Triphenyltin, 1994.*  Ronald Macfarlane.  A report from the 
Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific Regional Center 
(PAN A/P) describing Hoechst's activities in the Philippines 
with respect to the two pesticides.  The report was written 
in response to Hoechst's actions in the Philippines, where 
the company has challenged recent government efforts to ban 
the pesticides, including bringing legal actions against 
government efforts to ban the pesticides, a doctor working 
for a non-profit organization, and a national news agency 
that covered the story.  PAN A/P is launching a citizens' 
campaign to demand that governments around the world ban the 
manufacture of endosulfan and triphenyltin acetate. 55pp. 
US$10.00.  Pesticide Action Network Asia and the Pacific, 
P.O. Box 1170, 10850 Penang, Malaysia; phone (60-4) 657-0271; 
fax (60-4) 657-7445.

*Alternative Farming Systems, 1992.*  Proceedings of a 
symposium held at The University of Adelaide, Roseworthy 
Campus, 21-23 September, 1992.  Provides details of the 
presented papers and summaries of workshops which addressed 
the following: sustainability in agriculture; public concern,  
regarding synthetic chemicals used in agriculture; and 
prospects of premium prices for certified organic produce. 
106pp.  Australian $12.00.  Chris Penfold, The University of 
Adelaide, Roseworthy Campus, Roseworthy, South Australia 
5371; phone (61-83) 037807; fax (61-85) 248065.

*Alternatives for Ground Water Cleanup.*  National Research 
Council, 1994.  Report summarizes technical and institutional 
limitations on ground water remediation. Includes a summary 
of alternatives to conventional pump-and-treat systems such 
as "air sparging" (circulating air through the subsurface) 
and "in-situ bioremediation" (pumping substances underground 
to stimulate growth of contaminant-eating organisms). THIS 
REPORT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN SEPTEMBER, 1994.  281pp. National 
Academy Press, 2101 Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 
20418; phone (202) 334-3313 or (800) 624-6242.

*Huicholes y Plaguicidas.*  Red de Accion sobre Plaguicidas y 
Alternativas en Mexico (RAPAM), 1994.  This video focuses on 
an indigenous group of farmers in Nayarit, Mexico called 
"Huicholes" who use toxic pesticides on tobacco plantations.  
27 minutes.  RAPAM, Vesubio 57, colonia Alpes, Mexico DF, CP 
01010 Mexico; phone and fax (91-5) 680-2045; and Patricia 
Diaz Romo, phone/fax (91-5) 281-3270; email: 
[email-masked]

*World Resources: A Guide to the Global Environment.*  World 
Resources Institute, 1994.  The World Resources is the sixth 
in a series of publications written in collaborative effort 
by the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), the United 
Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and the World Resources 
Institute (WRI).  The series focuses on objective and up-to-
date reports of conditions and trends in the world's natural 
resources and in the global environment.  This volume has a 
special focus on people and the environment, in support of 
the 1994 United Nations International Conference on 
Population and Development.  398pp.  World Resources 
Institute, 1709 New York Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20006; phone 
(800) 822-0504; fax (202) 638-0036.

***

The Online Resource Pointer is a feature of PANUPS, PANNA's 
online news update service.  The Online Resource Pointer is 
an extension of the Resource Pointer, a regular feature in 
our quarterly newsletter, the Global Pesticide Campaigner, 
which lists selected books, reports, periodicals, articles 
and videos that focus on issues related to pesticides and 
sustainable agriculture.  

The Online Resource Pointer is available to our online PANUPS 
subscribers and can be found in the appropriate EcoNet 
conferences, the public conference on RTK NET, GeoNet in the 
PESTICIDES-BBS bulletin board, the EcoNet echo on FidoNet, 
the Sustainable Agriculture Network (SANET) on BitNet, and 
PENpages agriculture information service at Penn State 
University.

We welcome those interested in having resources listed in the 
Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of 
publications, videos or other sources to our office (address 
listed below) or to contact Publications and Information 
Coordinator Ellen Hickey or Information Program Associate 
Gina Bearse for further information.  
=============================================================
The Pesticide Action Network Updates Service (PANUPS) is a 
pesticide-related news service posted weekly by the Pesticide 
Action Network North America Regional Center (PANNA). PANNA 
is located at 116 New Montgomery Street, #810, San Francisco, 
CA 94105. Tel: (415) 541-9140. Fax: (415) 541-9253. To 
receive a standard information packet about the Pesticide 
Action Network send a short e-mail message to 
[email-masked].
=============================================================