Subject: Re: Drylands Permaculture
From: [email-masked] (Dave)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 1994 16:41:17 +0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

I have heard of a number of innovative approachs to this subject. One was 
that there is apparently a very simply designed machine which is being 
used with *some* success (don't know how much but have HEARD that it's
effective) in desertlands in Northern Africa where the dunes are spiked
by a big rolling machine simply to trap seeds as these are blown about.

The other strategy which I've seen is in parts of Australia where huge
empty holes in the ground are scooped out with bull dozers in order that
they can become lakes/reservoirs when the next big rain comes in 7 years'
time.

I was wondering particularly whether there is an study done or recommendations
to be had regarding plants which are suitable because (a) perhaps they retain
water heavily and other plants in proximity can benefit from this and (b) plants
which are EDIBLE yet require the least amount of water.

Every sympathy with your 'soapboxing' about LA water usage, Craig. I am an
American living in the UK for many years now and have always been stunned by
the difference in attitudes between *most* Americans and British people 
regarding resource consumption generally. Sure a lot of people over here are
just as bad in taking the view that resources (of any sort) are there to be
exploited to the maximum, irrespective of others who may be dependant on the
same resources (animal/wildlife included) but in my (*modest*, inexpert) 
view Americans really do not care largely about the welfare of the biological
infrastructure...not so much anyway. Apart from Oregan, I guess, which was
pioneering conservational issues two decades ago when almost nobody else was
in the least AWARE, much less bothered.
-- 
Dave