Subject: SAN Calendar: August, 1994
From: [email-masked] (Gabriel Hegyes)
Date: 16 Aug 1994 16:57:58 -0000
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

ALTERNATIVE FARMING SYSTEMS 
     INFORMATION CENTER, RM. 304
     NATIONAL AGRICULTURAL LIBRARY
     10301 BALTIMORE BOULEVARD
     BELTSVILLE, MARYLAND  20705-2351
     
     CALENDAR OF SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE EVENTS 
     SARE/ACE CALENDAR FOR FY 1994
     Sponsored by the Sustainable Agriculture Network  (SAN)
     * Events added since last edition

1994

August 18-20, 1994
Event:    WRCC-67 Sustainable Agriculture meeting for the
Western   Region.  
Place:    Cheyenne, WY.
Contact:  David Granatstein, Washington State University.    
          509) 663-8181 x.222.

August 26, 1994
*Event:   Second Annual Western Kansas Organic Farm Tour
Place:    Marienthal, Kansas
Contact:  Allan Moody.  Phone:  (316) 379-4472

September 6-8, 1994
Event:    Second National Symposium, "Allelopathy in Sustainable 
          Agriculture, Forestry and Environment"
Place:    J. N. Vyas University, Jodhpur-342 001, Rajasthan,India
Contact:  Dr. Shamsher S. Narwal, Organizing Secretary,          
          Department of Agronomy, CCS Haryana Agriculture        
          University, Hisar-125 004, Haryana, India.  
          Phone:  91-1662-73721, ext. 4268. FAX:  91-1662-73552.
Sponsor:  Indian Society of Allelopathy 

September 8, 1994
*Event:   Thompson On-Farm Research Field Day, featuring         
          field tours of test plots and demonstrations.  
Place:    Thompson Farm, Boone, Iowa 
Contact:  Dick and Sharon Thompson, 2035 190th St., Boone, IA.   
          (515) 432-1560.

September 17, 1994
Event:    Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA) 
          Fall Field Day
Place:    Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial Garden
Contact:  Skip Kaufman, Accokeek Foundation Farm and Colonial 
          Garden, 3400 Bryan Point Road, Accokeek, MD.  
          Phone:  (301) 283-2113.

September 17-21, 1994
Event:    Sustainability of Range Livestock Production Systems in 
          the West
Place:    Billings, Montana
Contact:  Jack Riesselman, 525 Leon Johnson, Montana State
          University, Bozeman, MT  59717.  Phone:  (406)994-5149.

September 18, 1994
Event:    New Jersey's Third Organic County Fair
Place:    Pennington, New Jersey
Contact:  Phone:  (609) 737-6848
Sponsor:  Northeast Organic Farming Association

September 21-23, 1994
*Event:   The National Rural Families Conference
Place:    Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:  Steve Bollman, (913) 532-6984 or Charlie Griffin, 
          913) 532-6985

October 12-14, 1994
*Event:   Management Intensive Grazing Workshop
Place:    Linneus, Missouri
Contact:  Forage Systems Research Center, Rt. 1., Box 80,        
          Linneus, MO  64653.  
          Phone:  (816) 895-5121
Sponsor:  Missouri Alternatives Center, University Extension

October 13-17, 1994
Event:    Seeds of Hope:  The Arctic to Amazonia Congress on
          Community and Sustainable Forestry
Contact:  Erik van Lennep, Internet:  [email-masked].

October 19-21, 1994
*Event:   3rd Annual Better Composting School
Place:    Ramada Inn, Hanover, Maryland
Contact:  (301) 405-4356
Sponsor:  Cooperative Extension Service, Department of           
          Horticulture, Department of Agricultural               
          Engineering, University of Maryland at College Park

October 23-31, 1994
Event:    1994 International Sustainable Agriculture and Food
          Security Week.
Place:    Washington, DC
Contact:  Thomas Forster, NGO Working Group on Sustainable
          Agriculture.  Phone:  (808) 737-0300. 
          Internet:  [email-masked].  Or Linda Elswick,    
          WSAA, 1331 Pennsylvania Ave, NW, Suite 907 North, 
          Washington, DC  20004.  Phone:  (202) 347-0637.  
          Internet: [email-masked] 

October 24-28, 1994
*Event:   "Down to Earth:  Practical Applications of  Ecological 
          Economics"
Place:    San Jose, Costa Rica.
Contact:  Amon Z. Mattee or Thierry Lasalle, Department of       
          Agricultural Education and Extension,                  
          Skoine University of Agriculture, Morogoro, Tanzania.

November 4th-5th, 1994
*Event:   20th Anniversary, Seattle Tilth:  "Sustaining the
City,     Nurturing the People and the Land"
Place:    Seattle, Washington
Contact:  Seattle Tilth, 4649 Sunnyside Ave N, Seattle, WA 98103. 
          Phone:  (206) 633-0451
Sponsor:  Seattle Tilth

November 10th, 1994
*Event:   20th Anniversary, Portland Tilth
Place:    Portland, Oregon
Contact:  Oregon Tilth, PO Box 3588, Portland, OR 97208.         
          Phone: (503) 285-8279. FAX:  (503) 289-4179.

November/December 1994
Event:    3rd International Course on Fodder Tree-Multipurpose   
          Species for Agriculture
Place:    Queensland, Australia
Contact:  Dr. R.C. Gutteridge or Dr. H.M. Shelton, Fodder Tree   
          Legumes, Department of  Agriculture, University of     
          Queensland, Queensland, 4072 Australia.  
          Voice:  (61-7) 365-2062.  FAX:  (61-7) 365-1188.
Sponsor:  Department of Agriculture, The University of           
      Queensland.

November 7-10, 1994
Event:   "Conservation and Equitable Growth:  The Challenge      
          for Farming Systems."  Asian Farming Systems           
          Symposium, 1994
Place:    Manila, The Philippines
Contact:  Symposium Coordinator, AFSS, PO Box 70, Peradeniya, 
          Sri Lanka.  Phone:  +94 (8) 88081/88206.   
          FAX:  +94 (8) 32817/88206/32517.

November 11-13, 1994
Event:    "Telling the Story:  Celebrating Tilth's First Twenty  
          Years"
Place:    Edgefield Manor, near Portland, Oregon
Contact:  Tilth's 20th Anniversary, PO Box 3588, 
          Portland, OR  97208.  Phone:  (503) 285-8279.

November 12, 1994
Event:    Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association (MOFFA)  
          Annual Meeting
Place:    MDA Headquarters Bldg., Annapolis, MD
Contact:  MOFFA, 6201 Harley Road, Middletown, MD  21769.  
          Phone:  (301) 371-4814.

November 13-16, 1994
*Event:   Annual International Research Conference on Methyl     
          Bromide Alternatives and Emissions Reduction
Place:    Hyatt Orlando, Kissimmee, Florida  
Contact:  Gary L. Obenauf, PO Box 5335, Fresno, CA  93755.       
          Phone:  (209) 244-4710.  FAX:  (209) 224-2610

November 13-18, 1994
Event:    American Society of Agronomy (ASA)/Crop Science Society
          of  America (CSSA)/Soil Science Society of America     
          (SSSA) annual  meetings.  During this week there will  
          be several sessions related to  sustainable  agriculture.
Where:    Seattle, WA
Contact:  Steve Oberle,  Chair Division A-8,  214 National Soil  
          Tilth Lab, Iowa State University, Ames IA 50011.       
          Phone: (515) 294-2421.  FAX:   (515) 294-8125.
Sponsor:  ASA/CSSA/SSS

November 16-18, 1994
*Event:   Agroecolog¡a-Sostenibilidad Educaci¢n
Place:    Universidad Aut¢noma San Louis Potos¡,  MEXICO
Contact:  Escuela de Agronom¡a, UASLP, Apartado Postal F-2263,   
          San Louis Potos¡, SLP CP 78321, MEXICO
     
November 18-19, 1994
*Event:   5th Annual Rural Women's Conference:  "Holding It      
          Together"
Place:    First Presbyterian Church, Hutchinson, Kansas
Contact:  Char Hinton, FACTS Office, 1-800-532-3276 or Linda     
          Hessman, Rural Life Office, (316) 227-1500.
Sponsor:  Farmers Assistance, Counceling and Training Program    
          (FACTS), Interfaith Rural Life Committee of Kansas     
          Ecumenical Ministries and the Kansas Rural Center

November 21-25, 1994
*Event:   Systems-Oriented Research in Agriculture and Rural     
          Development
Place:    Montpellier, France
Contact:  Secretariat of the Symposium:  Systems-Oriented        
          Research in Agriculture and Development.  BP 5035,     
          34032 Montpellier cedex 01, France.  
          Phone:  (33) 67 61 71 85. FAX:  (33) 67 61 71 86. 
Internet: [email-masked]

December 11-16, 1994
Event:    10th International Organic Agriculture IFOAM Conference
Place:    Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand
Contact:  IFOAM Conference, Centre for Continuing Education, 
          PO Box 84, Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand. 
          Voice: (64) (3) 325-2811.  FAX:  (64) (3) 325-2944.

December 14, 1994
*Event:   Fertilizer Research and Education Program Annual       
          Conference          
Place:    Kearny Agricultural Center, Parlier, California
Contact:  Jacques Franco, FREP, California Department of Food
and       Agriculture, PO Box 942871  Sacramento, CA  94271-0001. 
Phone:    (916) 653-5340.     

December 22-25, 1994
*Event:   Prairie Forum/Community Futures, '94
Place:    Victoria Inn, Brandon, Manitoba.
Contact:  Joy Dornian, Conference Coordinator, WESTARC Group #1 -
          723 Rosser Ave Brandon MB Canada.  
          Phone:  (204) 729-3451.  FAX: (204) 727-7555.

<1995>

January 25-28, 1995
Event:    15th Annual Eco Farm Conference:  "Seeds of            
          Sustainability...Planting Our Future"
Place:    Asilomar, California
Contact:  Committee for Sustainable Agriculture, P. O. Box 838,  
          San Martin, CA  95046-0838

February 23-24, 1995
*Event:   CONFERENCE ON NITROGEN & WATER
Place:    Everett, Washington at the Everett Pacific Hotel
Contact:  Ed Adams, WSU Cooperative Extension - Spokane 601 
          W First Avenue, Spokane  WA  99204-0399.   
          Phone:  (509) 458-3580.  Stephen Cox, United States    
          Geological Survey, 1201 Pacific Avenue,
          Tacoma  WA  98402.  Phone:   (206)593-6510.
Sponsor:  Washington State University Cooperative Extension,     
          Washington State Department of Ecology, Washington     
          State Department of Health, BC Environment, and the    
          U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

February 26-28, 1995
*Event:   California Farm Conference
Place:    Radisson Hotel, Sacramento, California
Contact:  Small Farm Center, University of California-Davis,     
          Davis, CA  95616

March 11-16. 1995
Event:    European Symposium for Agriculture, Environment,Rural  
          Development:  "Strategy for sustainable agriculture and
          rural development in Europe "
Place:    Rros (Roeros), Norway.
Contact:  Helge Christie, N-2540  Tolga, Norway.  
          Phone:   47-62496039. FAX:  47-62496096.   
          Email:   [email-masked]     

May 10-11, 1995
*Event:   "Planning for a Sustainable Future:  The Case of the   
          North American Great Plains"
Place:    Lincoln, Nebraska
Contact:  Dr. Donald Wilhite, Director, International Drought    
          Information Center, PO Box 830728, University of       
          Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, NE  68583-0728
          Phone:  (402) 472-6707.  FAX:  (402) 472-6614.  Internet:
          [email-masked]
Sponsor:  Environment Canada, NOAA, University of                
          Nebraska-Lincoln

June 11-14, 1995
Event:    "Sustainable Aquaculture, '95"
Place:    Ilikai Hotel, Honolulu, Hawaii
Contact:  Narendra Saxena.  Phone:  (808) 956-6163.  
          FAX:  (808) 956-2580.  
          Internet:  [email-masked]

June 21-25, 1995
*Event:   Interdisciplinary Conference on the Environment 
Place:    Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:  Demetri Kantarelis, FAX:  (508) 799-4502 or 
          Internet:  [email-masked]
     
________________________________________________________________
If you would like us to include your events please send the event
name, place, contact, and sponsor, to Alternative Farming Systems
Information Center, ATTN: SAN/AFSIC Calendar, Room 304, National
Agricultural Library, 10301 Baltimore Boulevard, Beltsville,
Maryland 20705-2351.  FAX: (301) 504-6409.   
INTERNET:   [email-masked]                                   

***************************************************************
APPENDIX
Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
Regional Research Grants Schedules

Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
Regional Research Grants Schedules

The Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
program is a continuation of what was formerly known as LISA. 
Grants are awarded on a competitive basis for research and
educational projects in sustainable agriculture. 
Administration of the program takes place through four
regional centers, each of which has a separate schedule for
its call for proposals and other deadlines.  The schedules
will be included in this calendar as they become available. 
Following are the addresses of the Regional centers:

North Central Region                    
Steven S.  Waller,  Coordinator         
13-A Activities Bld                     
Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln               
Lincoln, NE  68583-0704                 
(402) 472-7081                          
FAX:  (402) 472-0280                    I
Internet: [email-masked]              

Western Region 
V. Phillip Rasmussen, Coordinator 
Ag Systems Technology
Utah State University
Logan, UT  84322-2300
(801) 797-2230
FAX:  (801) 797-4002
Internet:  [email-masked]

Northeast Region                   
Frederick R. Magdoff, Coordinator                      
Dept. of Plant & Soil Science                          
University of Vermont                   
Burlington, VT  05405                    
(802) 656-2630                     
FAX:  (802) 656-0554               
Internet:  [email-masked]

Southern Region
Gerald F. Arkin, Co-Coordinator
Contact:  Paula Ford, Program Manager
University of Georgia Agriculture Experiment Station
Griffen, GA  30223-1797
(404) 412-4787
FAX:  (404) 412-4789
Internet:  [email-masked]

NORTH CENTRAL REGION

July 15, 1994            Preproposal requestsent to individuals
                         interested in SARE Program

September 9, 1994        Sustainable Agriculture Extension Training
                         Consortium (NCETC) meeting

September 16, 1994       Preproposals received by Regional
                         Coordinator

November 14-17, 1994     Administrative Council meets to select  
                         preproposals for further development
December 2, 1994         Invitation to submit full proposal

January 23, 1995         Deadline for receiving full proposal

March 8-10, 1995         Administrative Council meets to evaluate
                         proposals

March, 1995              Technical Committee meets to evaluate
                         proposals

April 3-5, 1995          Recommendation for project funding by   
                         Administrative Council

SOUTHERN  REGION

June, 1994               Newsletter
                                                             
September, 1994          Invitation for full SARE/ACE Proposal
                         Newsletter
                         Release Call for Producer-Initiated Grants

December, 1994           Full Proposal due at the Host Consortium
                         Producer-Initiated Grants due at Host
                         Consortium

WESTERN REGION 

January  25-26, 1994     Technical Review Panel to meet 

March 3-4, 1994          Administrative Council to meet 

August 22 -26, 1994      Strategic Planning Meeting  (Tentative)

NORTHEAST REGION

Proposed Schedule for FY 1994

July 27, 1994            Northeast Region SARE/ACE Administrative
                         Council Meeting, at the Holiday Inn at the
                         Bradley International Airport, 
                         Windsor  Locks, Conn. 

July 27-28, 1994         Northeast Region Sustainable Agriculture
                         Farm Tour.  We will  visit 6 farm and
                         community projects in Connecticut,
                         Massachusetts and Vermont where people are
                         working to create a more sustainable food
                         and agricultural system.