Subject: Re: Organic coffee co-ops
From: [email-masked] (Marcos O. Camargo)
Date: 17 Aug 1994 01:21:25 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sustainable.agriculture

In article <[email-masked]>,
Karl Henning <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Hi all, I would like to train my work companions to use a different
>source of coffee then that which comes from brazil at the expense of
>rainforest resources.  I heard there was a program somwhere where the 
>indigenous people where growing coffee beans on land held by them and 
>thiere ancestors (mayan?) the money went back to the people not multinationals.
>-- 
>peace.
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>Karl Henning
>Fax:   1-313-337-6932    Phone: 1-313-322-7664 
>E-mail: [email-masked]                      The Blue Dog      
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Karl,

This posting just shows your lack of knowledge about where coffee is produced
in Brazil.

Close to 100% of Brazilian coffee is produced south of the state of Minas Gerais,
which is not close to the rainforest. The main producers are the state of Sao
Paulo, Parana, and Minas Gerais.  Look at the map and you will see how far it
is from the rain forest.

The land where coffee is planted is owned mostly by local people like my
ancestors (of European origin) and you are just fantasizing this idyllic native
people growing coffee just for "you".

-- 
Marcos O. Camargo             |  e-mail:  [email-masked]
Intel Corp.  JF1-19           |  phone :  (503) 696-4273
5200 N.E. Elam Young Parkway  |  FAX   :  (503) 681-9017
Hillsboro, Oregon  97124      |