Subject: anything that kills bacteria but not yeast?

From: [email-masked] (Michael Levin)
Date: 6 Sep 93 12:42:52 EDT

Is there any agent that can be put in media which will discourage
bacterial growth, but won't bother yeast? If you know of anything like
that, please email [email-masked].

Mike Levin

---

From: [email-masked] (Francis Ouellette)
Date: 6 Sep 93 19:07:00 GMT

[email-masked] (Michael Levin) writes:
 
:     Is there any agent that can be put in media which will discourage
: bacterial growth, but won't bother yeast? If you know of anything like
: that, please email [email-masked].

a good question for bionet.molbio.yeast!  :-)

low pH might be your answer ... I will let others send in their favorite
recipe.

regards,

francis

--
| B.F. Francis Ouellette  
|
| [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Dubear Kroening)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 13:40:35 GMT

Francis Ouellette ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Michael Levin) writes:
:  
: :     Is there any agent that can be put in media which will discourage
: : bacterial growth, but won't bother yeast? If you know of anything like
: : that, please email [email-masked].
: 
: a good question for bionet.molbio.yeast!  :-)
: 
: low pH might be your answer ... I will let others send in their favorite
: recipe.
: 
: regards,
: 
: francis

We had some problems with bacterial contamination, and so started to 
routinely add 25 ug/ml (final) of tetracycline (dissolved in ethanol).  It
seems to work well.  Does anyone see any problems with this or have any 
comments?

Dubear ([email-masked])

s

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Greene)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 17:57:34 GMT

> that, please email [email-masked].

We routinely use gentamicin at a concentration of 10 micrograms per ml.  
Works like a charm.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Mattson)
Date: 8 Sep 93 22:29:12 GMT

Michael Levin ([email-masked]) wrote:

: Mike Levin

Most of the antibiotics used in cell culture (penn-strep, gentamycin, etc.)
are only effective against prokaryotes.  Fungicides are typically required
to kill yeast.  However, this is not to say that yeast won't have any adverse
responses to the prokaryote-targeted antibiotics, if it's yeast you're 
TRYING to culture.  (But who in their right mind would want to do this?)  :-)

S.W. Barger
Sanders-Brown Center on Aging

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Wong)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 04:09:47 GMT

>low pH might be your answer ... I will let others send in their favorite

low pH is good to discourage bacterial growth. How about the classical
SDA (or Saubaroud Dextrose Broth or Agar)? Low in pH to discourage
bacteria growth and has dextrose which some bacteria are
not able to ferment. 
     I have a questions for the yeasters abounding out there.  I'm
trying to characterize the adhesion proteins/antigens for candida
albicans using antibodies specific to mannans. I have to somehow
get these mannan antibodies to work with an electron microscope.
Has anybody tried protein a coated colloidal gold? Previous
experiences would be greatly appreciated!

thanks much
jeff
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Benedik)
Date: 10 Sep 1993 04:10:11 GMT

>that, please email [email-masked].

depends upon which bacteria you are having problems with, but certainly
antibiotics might be something to look at.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Michael Benedik				INTERNET: [email-masked]
 Dept. of Biochemical & Biophysical Sciences	
 University of Houston				BITNET: Benedik@uhou
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Andre B.)
Date: 10 Sep 93 11:37:15 GMT

: >    Is there any agent that can be put in media which will discourage
: >bacterial growth, but won't bother yeast? If you know of anything like
: >that, please email [email-masked].
: >
: >Mike Levin

Just a suggestion.....read the books of L. Pasteur...

---

From: [email-masked] (Francis Ouellette)
Date: 6 Sep 93 19:07:00 GMT

regards,

francis

---

From: [email-masked] (Dubear Kroening)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 13:40:35 GMT

s

---

From: [email-masked] (Jonathan Greene)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 17:57:34 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Mattson)
Date: 8 Sep 93 22:29:12 GMT

: Mike Levin

S.W. Barger

---

From: [email-masked] (Jeffrey Wong)
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1993 04:09:47 GMT

thanks much
jeff
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael Benedik)
Date: 10 Sep 1993 04:10:11 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Andre B.)
Date: 10 Sep 93 11:37:15 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Emaus)
Date: 13 Sep 1993 01:47:46 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (Ron Emaus)
Date: 13 Sep 1993 11:59:10 GMT

Yeast love to grow at pH 4 - 4.5;  It's a very rare bacterium that will
tolerate such conditions.  I would question my sources if the media recipe
called for pH > 6.

Recall that women get yeast infections, not bacterial infections because
the vaginal environment is acidic.  Also note that they use "monistat" a
fungicide to retard yeast growth (not kill it).  Antibiotics are not used
to treat yeast infections.

--Ron Emaus
Former biochemist and grower of yeast.

---

From: [email-masked] (Linda J. Carter)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 16:11:46 GMT

For those of you interested in PCR primers and hybridization
      probes I would really appreciate your opinions about their
      inclusion in biosequence databases.  Some of my specific concerns
      are as follows:

      1.  Do you feel primers and probes tend to clutter up a nucleic acid
	  database and cause unnecessary retrievals when searching for
	  sequences of much longer length?

      2.  Because primers and probes are usually designed from known sequence
	  information often already in the database, is it still justifiable
	  to include them as additional entries?

      3.  What applications of primers and probes should justify their
	  inclusion in a biosequence database, e.g.  clinical diagnosis,
	  taxonomy, evolution, gene mapping, or methods?

     4.   If you were to search for primers and probes in a biosequence
	  database what would be most efficient for you?  Would some type of
	  descriptive information be helpful, e.g. their application or
	  their origin?

	  Thank you very much for any thoughts you might have on this subject.

	  Please post your response to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Chris Black)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 18:21:28 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Ron Emaus) writes:

+Yeast love to grow at pH 4 - 4.5;  It's a very rare bacterium that will
+tolerate such conditions.  I would question my sources if the media recipe
+called for pH > 6.
+
+Recall that women get yeast infections, not bacterial infections because
+the vaginal environment is acidic.  Also note that they use "monistat" a
+fungicide to retard yeast growth (not kill it).  Antibiotics are not used
+to treat yeast infections.

But then why are women advised to use dilute vinegar as a home
remedy for yeast infections?  Does this drive the pH too low even
for yeast?  Or waht?

Curiously,

Chris
-- 
[email-masked] 
Irony is not the same thing as "irony"; point of view is not the same
thing as attitude;  I have no confidence at all that these distinctions
mean anything anymore.  -- Jon Carroll