Subject: Re: Controlling % oxygen in medium

From: [email-masked] (Ola Myklebost)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1993 12:20:04 +0100

Low oxygen is often used for the culture of tumor cells. One place to start
is 

Courtenay, V. D. (1985). Primary cultures from tumours. Cell Clones: Manual
of mammalian cell techniques. New York, Churchill livingstone. 196-207.

-- 
Ola Myklebost             Email  [email-masked]
Dept of Tumor Biology
Inst for Cancer Research
The Norwegian Radium Hospital
N-0310 OSLO, Norway
Tel +47-22-50-60-50, xtn 9830, Fax +47-22-52-24-21

---

From: [email-masked] (Jim Cummins)
Date: 24 Nov 1993 01:12:34 GMT

There's been a fair amount of work on O2 levels in mammalian embryo
culture, as the pO2 in the uterus/oviduct is much lower than
atmospheric, and there's some evidence that high pO2 is toxic.  You can
either use pre-mixed gases (5%CO2:5%O2: 90%N2 is a common example in
IVF)   or get your incubator to mix them.  It should be fairly easy to
control gas mix using flowmeters and a closed culture container
(Tupperware boxes work fine).  Get back to me directly by email if you
want refs on O2 and embryo culture.  For an interesting essay on oxygen
and life check out:

Max B.  (1992) This and that: hair pigments, the hypoxic basis of life
and the Virgilian journey of the spermatozoon.  Trends in
Pharmaceutical Sciences 13(7): 272-276

Jim Cummins                   
School of Veterinary Studies
Murdoch University
Western Australia 6150  Tel +61-9-360 2668 Fax +61-9-310 4144
For every complex problem there's a simple solution.  And it's wrong!