Subject: Workshop on Microscopy

From: [email-masked] (Philip L. Carl)
Date: 27 Jan 1994 20:01:04 GMT

LIGHT MICROSCOPY FOR THE BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES
March 27-April 2, 1994

An introduction to the basic concepts and practical applications of light
microscopy.  Students will have opportunities for extensive hands-on
experience with state of the art optical, video and digital image
processing and recording equipment guided by e xperienced academic and
commercial staff.  Lectures and laboratory exercises will include: 
geometric and wave optics of image formation; microscope alignment; phase
contrast, reflection interference contrast, polarization, and differential
interference c ontrast microscopy; fluorescent microscopy and fluorescent
probes; video imaging and contrast enhancement by analog and digital image
processing; imaging of calcium and other ions in cells; and laser scanning
confocal microscopy.  Students are encouraged
 to bring their own specimens for analysis.

In addition to basic concepts, the Workshop will introduce several
advanced techniques relevant to modern cell and molecular biology.  A
commercial staff representing leading microscopic manufacturers will make
available for student use the latest and mos t advanced instrumentation
for light microscopy, image detection and computerized image analysis. 

Tuition:  $950.00
Deadline:  February 18, 1994

Instructors:  Edward Salmon, Ph.D., Brian Herman, Ph.D., and John
Lemasters, M.D., Ph.D., UNC-CH

CAROLINA WORKSHOPS are intensive hands-on courses designed to teach
cutting edge methods in molecular biology and biotechnology.  Four or five
courses on different topics in molecular biology and/or biotechnology are
offered each year.  Most participants in the Carolina Workshops already
hold M.D. or Ph.D. degrees, or are advanced pre-doctoral students.  The
courses are designed for novice students as well as for individuals with
prior experience.  All students benefit from in-depth interaction with
instr uctors. 

HOW TO APPLY

Send a curriculum vitae and a brief letter describing your research
interests.  Applicants should contact the program office as soon as
possible.  Please indicate your complete mailing address and telephone/fax
number.  Full consideration will be given to
 applications received by the indicated deadlines in each workshop.

For further information or to apply, contact:
Dr. Wayne Litaker, Facility Director
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Program in Molecular Biology & Biotechnology
402 Taylor Hall CB 7100 B
Chapel Hill, North Carolina  27599-7100
Telephone: (919) 966-1730,  FAX (919) 966-6821

€