Subject: reading suggestions

From: [email-masked] (Cristopher Niell)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 93 17:38:28 GMT

Hi.
   I just got through reading "The Hypercycle" by Eigen & Schuster,
and I was fascinated by their method of using mathematical techniques
to analyze biological processes. I remember losing interest in
biology back in high school, because it seemed so "non-rigorous",
(at least coming from a math and physics background.) Now I
would like to learn more about the theoretical basis of biology.

 I noticed that the FAQ has a lot of books on info. theory, and a couple on
biology. However, I was wondering if anyone could suggest some
other books on the "theoretical" side of biology, combining both the
math and the bio. Thanks a lot !!
				Cris

---

From: [email-masked] (Marc Roussel)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1993 03:25:26 GMT

J.D. Murray's books (the latest of which is entitled "Mathematical
Biology") are excellent.  There are a lot of other interesting books out
there on specific topics in theoretical biology; I might be able to
suggest some if you give us some idea of your interests.

				Marc R. Roussel
                                [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Shenkin)
Date: 16 Aug 1993 16:33:10 GMT

Everyone should read Alfred Lotka's pioneering work, "Elements of
Theoretical Biology", which I think was reissued by Dover under the
name "Elements of Mathematical Biology."

	-P.
-- 
************************f*u*cn*rd*ths*u*cn*gt*a*gd*jb************************
Peter S. Shenkin, Box 768 Havemeyer Hall, Dept. of Chemistry, Columbia Univ.,
New York, NY  10027;  [email-masked];  (212) 854-5143
********************** Wagner, Beame, Screvane in '93! **********************