Subject: Mid-Atlantic Plant Molecular Biology Society Meeting (MAPMBS)
From: [email-masked] (Dennis A Schaff)
Date: 20 May 1994 13:22:44 -0400
Newsgroups: bionet.general,bionet.genome.arabidopsis,bionet.plants,bionet.agroforestry,bionet.molbio.gene-org,bionet.photosynthesis,bionet.women-in-bio

REGISTRATION AND CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

              Eleventh Annual Meeting of the Mid-Atlantic
                   Plant Molecular Biology Society

                          July 21-22, 1994
                    Holiday Inn at College Park
                       Beltsville, Maryland

                           KEYNOTE ADDRESS
                           Anthony Cashmore
Director of the Plant Science Institute, University of Pennsylvania,
                           Philadelphia, PA
        "The Cryptochrome Family of Blue/UV-A Photoreceptors."

SESSIONS AND INVITED SPEAKERS

GENE REGULATION

Andrew Dancis, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development,
Bethesda, MD
"Linkage of Copper and Iron Uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiae."

Elizabeth Vierling, Biochemistry Department, University of Arizona,
Tucson, AZ
"Structural and Functional Studies of Heat Shock Proteins."

Lynn Zimmerman, Biological Sciences, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD
"Molecular and Genetic Analysis of Early Embryogenesis."

PLANT/MICROBE INTERACTIONS

Ralph Dean, Department of Plant Pathology and Physiology, Clemson
University, Clemson, SC
"Cell Surface Communication in Appressorium Development by Magnaporthe
grisea."

Rosemarie Hammond, USDA/ARS, Microbiology and Plant Pathology Laboratory,
Beltsville, MD
"Differential Activation of Host Protein Kinase by Viroids - Mechanism of
Pathogenesis."

TRANSFORMATION

Kathy Kamo, USDA/ARS, Florist and Nursery Crops Laboratory, Beltsville, MD
"Transformation of Gladiolus."

Jeffrey Townsend, Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., Johnston, IA
"Improving the Quality of Seed Proteins in Soybean."

___________________________________________________________________________
                Eleventh Annual Meeting of the Mid-Atlantic
                     Plant Molecular Biology Society
 
            Holiday Inn at College Park, Beltsville, Maryland
                          July 21 and 22, 1994

                  Registration due by June 24, 1994

The Mid-Atlantic Plant Molecular Biology Society (MAPMBS) was formed to
provide a high quality, accessible and affordable plant molecular biology
meeting each year for scientists in the Mid-Atlantic region.  The society
especially wishes to encourage presentations by postdoctoral fellows and
graduate students.  Toward this goal, and as a special incentive, the
registration fee for students who are presenting short talks or posters
(one presenter per abstract please) includes only the cost of food and
beverages. 

This year's keynote address on Thursday, July 21 will be given by Dr.
Anthony R.Cashmore, Director of the Plant Science Institute at University
of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.  Dr. Cashmore"s talk will be followed by
an informal social hour and dinner.

Registration for the conference will open at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday at the
Holiday Inn (see map).  Talks will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m. Thursday
and 8:00 a.m. Friday.  Two platform sessions will be held each day.  Each
platform session consists of 30 minute talks by invited speakers and
several short contributed talks of approximately 15-20 minutes.  Poster
presentations are also encouraged.  Time will be reserved for poster
presentation and discussion.  To present either a talk or a poster please
submit an abstract (see directions for format).  If you prefer to give a
talk, please indicate the session you feel would be most appropriate.

Accommodations for participants requiring overnight lodging can be
arranged at the College Park Holiday Inn where the meeting will be held
(see next page for details).  Lodging will be available for Wednesday
through Friday nights (additional nights may be arranged on an individual
basis).

Preregistration is strongly encouraged.  Please note that this is the only
announcement and call for abstracts that will be mailed.  For those who
register in advance, lunches and dinner will be provided and are included
in the preregistration fees.  Ample parking is available.  Walk-in
registration will also be available at the door on Thursday morning July
21.  Since there will be a limited number of lunches and dinners, they may
not be  available if you register late.

ABSTRACT FORMAT (Abstracts are photocopied without modification)

TITLE IN CAPITAL LETTERS:  Author(s) Name; Author(s) Affiliation and
Address

Please type your abstracts on 8.5" x 11" white paper leaving a 1.5" margin
on all sides.  Mail the original abstract and one copy to the address
listed on the registration form.  Be sure to check the appropriate spaces
on the registration form to indicate your preference for presentation
format (short talk or poster) and session.  You will be notified of the
session, time, and format for your presentation.
Please return your abstract by June 24, 1994.

Posters should fit within a 4' x 4' area.

Your attendance and participation are essential to the continued growth
and productivity of the MAPMBS.  We look forward to meeting you in July!
 
HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS

Accommodations for participants requiring overnight lodging can be
arranged at the College Park Holiday Inn at reduced conference rates
(additional nights may be arranged on an individual basis).  The College
Park Holiday Inn is the site of the meeting.  Reservations and payment for
accommodations should be made through the hotel and not through MAPMBS.

College Park Holiday Inn:    Single room:         $72.48 (single double bed)
                             Double room:         $72.48 (two double beds)

Prices include taxes, free parking, free cable T.V. and use of the indoor
pool, whirlpool, sauna and exercise room.

For reservations at the College Park Holiday Inn call :
                                           (301) 345-6700 or (800) 872-5564
Mention you are with the Mid-Atlantic Plant Molecular Biology Society.

Address:     Holiday Inn 10000 Baltimore Blvd. (Route 1)
             College Park MD, 20740
             off of I-95 exit 25A

DIRECTIONS:  The Holiday Inn is located approximately 0.25 miles north of
             the Capitol Beltway at exit 25A.

If you wish to room with a particular person make the arrangements through
Holiday Inn.  If you wish to share a room with any MAPMBS participant to
reduce costs contact Ben Matthews or Frank Turano.  They will get you in
contact with another person who wishes to share a room.  If you wish to
share a room with a MAPMBS participant please circle your sex (M) or (F).

If you prefer to stay at another hotel in the area please make your own
arrangements.  Phone numbers for several local hotels and there
approximate distance from the Holiday Inn are listed below.

Holiday Inn (Calverton, 2 miles) (301) 937-4422
Ramada Inn (Calverton, 2 miles) (301) 572-7100

For further information, contact one of the co-organizers:

      Ben Matthews                              Frank Turano
      USDA/ARS                                  USDA/ARS
      Plant Molecular Biology Laboratory        Climate Stress Laboratory
      Bldg. 006, Rm. 118, BARC-West             Bldg. 046A, BARC-West
      Beltsville, MD  20705                     Beltsville, MD  20705
      Phone:  (301) 504-5730                    Phone:  (301) 504-5527
      FAX:  (301) 504-5320                      FAX: (301) 504-7521

_________________________________________________________________________
                               REGISTRATION FORM

                        Please return by June 24, 1994

Please photocopy this page for additional forms

Name____________________________________     I am interested in presenting:
Institution______________________________       _____ A short talk
Department_______________________________       _____ A poster
Address__________________________________                     
City_____________________________________
State____________________________________    Platform session preference:
Zip Code_________________________________    _____ Plant/Microbe Interactions
Telephone________________________________    _____ Gene Regulation
FAX____________________________________      _____ Transformation

(Enclose original and one copy of abstract)

Preregistration:    

Preregistration includes meeting attendance, 2 lunches, refreshments at
breaks, hors d' oeuvres at the social hour and dinner at the banquet on
Thursday evening.

      Presenting Student                 $35_____
      Student                            $50_____
      Regular registration               $65_____
      Total amount enclosed              $_______
      Make checks payable to MAPMBS
   
Special dietary requirements____  Please specify:________________________
 
Choice of meals for banquet (check one)
______ Roasted Prime Rib of Beef with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
______ Breast of Chicken San Sorci Stuffed with Mozzarella and Prosciutto
______ Vegetarian Lasagna
_________________________________________________________________________

MAIL ALL MATERIALS TO:                   MAPMBS Meeting
                                         c/o Frank Turano
                                         USDA, ARS, CSL
                                         Rm. 046A, BARC-West
                                         Beltsville, MD  20705
                                         FAX (301) 504-7521