Subject: Postdoctoral Position in Plant Biochemistry-Molecular Biology
From: [email-masked] ("Constantin A. Rebeiz")
Date: 7 Jun 1994 12:24:23 -0700
Newsgroups: bionet.photosynthesis

A postdoctoral position is available beginning Oct. 1 1994 to attempt
cloning the [4-vinyl]Chlorophyllide a reductase (4VCR) gene. 4VCR
[Biochemistry 31:8460-8464 (1992)] is the best characterized of a family of
[4-vinyl] reductases which catalyze the reduction of the vinyl group at
position 4 of the tetrapyrrole macrocycle to ethyl. The importance of these
enzymes reside in their being responsible for the chlorophyll biosynthetic
heterogeneity in plants [Ciba Foudation symposium 180, p177-193 (1994)] and
their potential relation to plant yield. 4VCR, a membrane-bound enzyme has
been recently fully characterized and solublized from etioplast membranes.
The work involves purifying the enzyme, cloning its gene and expressing
it in E. Coli. Applicants should have some expertise in one or more of the
following:
(a) porphyrin biochemistry,
(b) protein isolation, purification and characterization,
(c) plant molecular biological techniques.

Interested individuals should send curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation
 to :

                           C. A. Rebeiz
              Laboratory of Plant Pigment Biochemistry
                  and Photobiology, 240 A, PABL
                     1201 West Gregory Avenue,
                 University of Illinois, Urbana
                         Illinois, 61801.

Additional information via E-mail or telephone (217-333-1968) is welcome.
Constantin A. Rebeiz
Laboratory of Plant Pigment Biochemistry and Photobiology
240 A PABL, 1201 West Gregory
University of Illinois
Urbana IL. 61801