Subject: leaf slime (mangroves)
From: [email-masked] (John Cheeseman)
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 1994 13:57:46 -0500
Newsgroups: bionet.photosynthesis

We are trying to assay various photosynthetic enzymes from mangrove leaves
(Rhizophora mangle) and are having a problem with thick, goopy, hygroscopic
slime that makes working with the extracts difficult.  Does anyone have any
ideas or, preferably, experience with problems of this sort?  Our goal is
to keep the stuff from sliming up, or to selectively get rid of it while
keeping the rest of the goodies around... wobbly as that is, if you have
seen the slime, it should make sense.

In case it makes a difference, our extraction buffer is phosphate with EDTA
(5 mM), with almost every protectant there is in addition.

(pardon the cross posting, but I am trying to find a good cross section of
plant people for this)

**************************************************************************
John Cheeseman                                 "We haven't the money,
Department of Plant Biology                     so we've got to think."
University of Illinois                          -- Lord Rutherford (1962)
Urbana IL 61801 USA