Subject: Non-native seed for restoration

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 1994 16:56:00 EDT

In the UK there is minor outcry by conservationists concerning the sources
of seed used in restoration/rehabilitation projects. Non native is poor;ly
defined and can mean 'from different countries (ie large geographical
distance) or 'not from round these parts' (i.e. not from adjacent
communities).
The conservationists concerns are based on the idea of 'conserving
genetic resources' and can be listed as:
1. the presence of alien genotypes (with different morphotypes) in
vegetation.
2. confusion of the natural distribution patterns of ecotypes or varieties.
3. possible competitive advantage of the alien genotypes over native ones.
4. hybridisation modifying established patterns of community interactions or
of natural genetic variation.

These seem, on the surface, to be good ecological reasons for concern;
but on reflection they really reflect the old bugbear of conservationists that
'you don't want to go messing with nature'.  There seems to have been no
work to determine the verity of these concerns but one can see that
geographical distance is probably not a good sole criterion on which to
base our definition of 'good' or 'bad' sources of seed. Similar habitats and
environments may be a better criterion.

Any thoughts, or studies?

James Bullock

------------ End Forwarded Message -------------