Subject: Earthworm-eating flatworms

From: Craig Cramer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 20:24:59 -0400

[The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set]
    [Some characters may be displayed incorrectly]

Greetings:

Dr. Peter Ducey, a friend of mine at the State University of New York at
Cortland, has been doing research on a flatworm species that preys on
earthworms in the northeastern region of the United States.  He'd like to
hear from farmers who may have encountered these flatworms.  Please contact
him directly at:  [email-masked]

Here's a little background from Pete:

A terrestrial flatworm, probably from eastern Asia, is spreading through
the northeastern United States.  This planarian, Bipalium adventitium, is
tan to yellow with a dark spatulate head (half-moon shaped) and a single
dark median stripe traveling down the length of its body.  Adults reach a
maximum of about 4 ½  inches (11 cm).  These flatworms feed aggressively on
earthworms, including worms many time larger than themselves.  The
potential threat they pose to our agricultural and forest lands is under
investigation.

We have been conducting studies of the behavior and ecology of the
flatworms.  Although several studies are complete, much work remains to be
done.  In particular, we need to continue to learn more about their
distribution on agricultural lands. The flatworm's dispersion through
suburban gardens and lawns is well documented, but much less is known about
their abundance on farms.

If you have seen terrestrial planarians matching, or close to matching, the
description above, please contact Pete Ducey, Associate Professor of
Biological Sciences, State University of New York at Cortland, Cortland, NY
13045;  [email-masked]

Craig Cramer
mailto:[email-masked]
Sustainable Farming Connection -- "Where farmers find and share information."
http://sunsite.unc.edu/farming-connection

"The water will never clear up 'til you get the hogs out of the creek."
-- Jim Hightower

To Unsubscribe:  Email [email-masked] with "unsubscribe sanet-mg".
To Subscribe to Digest: Email [email-masked] with the command
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".